Monitor or Vcard problem ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by loki1701, Aug 4, 2007.

1. loki1701

loki1701 Earthling

I have a 4 year old Dell and last night something strange happened. I started up the system and right from the time the monitor came on, the screen has either green on pink pixels all over the place. If I start in safe mode it only affects half of the screen. It almost seems it is leaving after images on the screen after you open and close a window.

I checked all the connections and everything is tight. I also went through the monitors help settings and nothing there helped.

I don't think it's the Vcard because the area of the screen that don't have the colored pixels seems to be fine.

Any clues?

TIA

2. srhoades

srhoades

Borrow a friends monitor. That will tell you what the offending piece of harware is.

3. c6601a

c6601a

That almost seems like the video card. The video card has RAM and if one RAM chip has gone bad, only a portion of the screen will be affected. The size and location of the region will change with the screen resolution. When you boot up in safe mode, you are running in a lower resolution.

Borrow a monitor and that will tell you definitively, but I suspect it is the video card.