close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Monitor Fried

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nickotym, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

I have a monitor that went bottoms up over the weekend. As far as I know the cost to repair is more than the cost of buying a new one so that is out of the question.

Now for the fun though. I am thinking about taking it to the range for a session sometime. Want to keep the circuit board to use in future projects. How does one safely remove and discharge the power supply so you don't get fried handling this circuit board?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Worry about the voltage on the picture tube. In the old days when I used to repair TVs (remember tubes that would glow in the dark? those days), we would unplug the unit, then use two crossed long screwdrivers - one to touch the ground strip, the other to go under the rubber cover of the high voltage cable on top of the picture tube. That would quickly drain thousands of volts off the tube. Make sure you're wearing rubber gloves and do not touch the metal shafts on the screwdrivers.

If you do not feel comfortable with such a procedure, don't do it.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Oh, one more thing. Make sure the range does not object to your destructive intentions. After you dispose of your appliance this way, the range might under local regulations have to call hasmat disposal unit to remove the remnants because of potential exposed chemicals. One never knows what the local politicos came up with.

4. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about putting the monitor on a tarp before shooting to make sure most stuff got cleared away. Will have to check with our local guys about disposal after shooting.

Would it work to touch one screwdriver to a metal ground rod pounded into the earth and the other to the connector?

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It should. Just make sure it should slide underneath the rubber cap all the way to touch the metal connector.