close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Modifying the Mag release

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AB52531, Apr 9, 2010.

1. AB52531

AB52531

I recently did a shooting course with my 10mm. After about 200 rounds, I noticed a very tender spot developing on my left thumb. I finally realized my Glocks mag release was causing it. The sharp edge of its square"ish" design and the deep grooves cut into it were acting like a plow, digging into my thumb with every shot. The instructor noticed me examining the spot, and when he asked what was up, I told him. When he asked to see my gun, his first reaction was "Wow...Where did you get that release?" He was more shocked to find out it was stock and still stuck out that far from the frame.

My point is I am considering modifying the mag release, but not sure the best solution. It's not the distance it sticks out from the frame I want to change, but rather remove the sharper edges. I've tried looking for mag releases online, but only found standard glock replacement parts or extensions. I've thought to maybe sanding the edges for a more smooth feel, or gettin one of those gun shops that customize the frames to modify it.

Has anyone else had this problem with your mag release? Know of any way to fix this issue? Is there any reason I shouldn't fix it and suck it up?

2. marked19

marked19

Just sand the edges down - that's what I did with mine and it's great. Very easy to do and not reason that I know of not to.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

I always knock the corners off mine with a small file. It makes them much more comfy.

4. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Did you buy the gun new? My first suspicion is that you have an 'extended' magazine release fitted. If so change it back to the original 'standard' one and that will probably solve your problem.
    The difference in length between the two is 1/8th inch.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  5. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

All Glock mag catches should have a date with a nail file immediately. Just a couple of quick passes can round it off just enough it's hard to see, but makes a huge difference in feel.

6. vis35

vis35

It’s a $3.00 part and easy to replace, knock your socks off! I would get a replacement or two first, that way if you do not like what you do to it you can go right back.

7. JBP55

JBP55

I round the edges on all my extended magazine releases with emery cloth and reduce the length slightly. They are between the length of a standard and a extended release.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Why is your left thumb that low when you shoot? Sounds like as much a grip problem as a mag release problem.

However, regardless of where your thump is, my wife likes to round her mag releases over on the back edge and I just break the corners on mine, when we are using extended mag releases. I take them out and rub them on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface. I also use a replacement mag release to modify, so I can put the original back in to sell or trade the gun if I want.

I don't modify stock ones, because they are nearly too small already - if a stock mag release is hurting your thumb, that seems like a really bad grip.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. wood-man

wood-man

I added the extended reelease to my G17 then filed the edges down and it works great.