Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently talk to friends and fellow shooters and it seems invariably that the discussion always runs to modifications. We do it to cars. We do it to motorcycles. We do it to boats. We have to have to tweak and mod.
With the amazing variety of options available for custom work available these days what do you think about different levels of mods?
Pros-vs-Cons?
Gun Firearm Airsoft Airsoft gun Trigger

-Parts replacement ie trigger kits, mags, baseplates and barrels
-Custom machining on the slide, penetration cuts and forward serrations
-Optics mounted directly to the slide
-Aesthetics like Cerakote and Stippling.

What do you like and why? Who did it?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
My Gen 5 Glocks are stock except for sights (19X excluded), with stippling on my 19.4, 3.5lb connector as well on it and my 17.4. However, I have two Zev Tech Glocks, not overly done, modest mods, cant do anything a stock Glock cant but they shoot so well with the aftermarket triggers, stippled grips, etc. One is a Tier 1 Gen 17 and the other a Defender, both Gen 3.

The Zev Tech Tier 1 17.3 was broken in during a week long Gunsite Academy class. No cleaning, 2000 rounds in 7 days. I shot extra on the weekend as you shoot maybe 1200 rounds during the 5 day class. I used awful 1000 Wolf 115gr steel cased ammo, a few ammo malfunctions but the gun impressed me..the grip and trigger are awesome. I measured the break at 3.2lbs so not something I use for defense but for fun.

The Defender 19.3 still hasnt had any malfunctions but it wasnt put through a week long, dirty, raining, muddy class. All the wear on my Tier 1 was from that week long class, holster wear and there is still dried mud in the lower part of the grip, 4 years later. The Defender trigger pull is about 6.5lbs, very stock like but smoother.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I put sights on mine.

That’s it. I have a duty Glock and an off duty Glock. Don’t want to fix something that ain’t broke.

If I get another that’s a “just because” Glock, I could see maybe tinkering, adding apex trigger, messing with some of that stuff, maybe cerakote. That’s fine. But if it came to carrying, it would go back to stock.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Those lightening cuts, aftermarket barrels, stipple jobs, etc. seem like an utter waste of $$$ to me. The amount of money some one could waste on “upgrades” like that could much better be spent on ammo/range time with a stock Glock. All a stock Glock needs is a decent set of sights and many 1000s of rounds of ammo.

What I really find funny is when someone who’s wasted a grand on a $500 Glock tries to resell their f’ed up gun. Some actually think they’ll get their $$$ back. Any time I see an ad for a “modded” or “upgraded” Glock, I chuckle and move on to looking for a well used unmolested stock gun.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Those lightening cuts, aftermarket barrels, stipple jobs, etc. seem like an utter waste of $$$ to me. The amount of money some one could waste on “upgrades” like that could much better be spent on ammo/range time with a stock Glock. All a stock Glock needs is a decent set of sights and many 1000s of rounds of ammo.

What I really find funny is when someone who’s wasted a grand on a $500 Glock tries to resell their f’ed up gun. Some actually think they’ll get their $$$ back. Any time I see an ad for a “modded” or “upgraded” Glock, I chuckle and move on to looking for a well used unmolested stock gun.
Those who perform "mods" to their Glocks do so because in their mind they're improving their Glock mechanically and/or aesthetically, with the cost of doing so or any loss of resale value as a result considered acceptable. Like young kids installing fartbox mufflers and spinner hubcaps on their cheap Toyota's, it's their money, their choice!

I mostly prefer my handguns and other firearms to remain in their original states. All other firearm owners have the very same freedom to choose as they wish, and it's no skin off my nose if they go the opposite route :D

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
I am not
Much of a modifier. My Guns are all
Mostly stock, or have bare minimum aftermarket parts such as the Magpul fore end in my AR or my Surefire fore end in my 870.

The one exception is the Wilson low profile single sided safety/decocker lever I put on my Beretta a few weeks ago. I wish I had done that years ago. It completely eliminated a major gripe and point of discomfort in what was otherwise one of my favorite platforms.

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
10,417 Posts
No modifications on my glocks. It's not needed.

·
Tactically Epic
13,114 Posts
If i was forced to run a glock, I would upgrade the sights which is absolutely necessary with what garbage the factory ones are, put on a g34 style slide stop, a grip plug for better reloads, and get trigger work done.

·
Registered
32,983 Posts
I suppose it kinda depends on what's in the minds of the people making "modifications" to their Glocks.

Notwithstanding any arguable potential advantages and disadvantages to modifying guns ...

From what I've observed of some folks who like to modify & improve their Glocks (and 1911's, etc), it reminds me of the days when martial arts practitioners first started wearing different color, and contrasting color gi's. Some of them actually seemed to think that it made them more fearsome in appearance and better skilled fighters and opponents.

In the end, it did prove to be less likely to show (their) blood stains than regular white gi's.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Yeah, the sights are the first thing I upgrade. Then I'll usually add an oem extended slide stop and Vickers extended mag release. After that it depends on the Glock. I do like the Overwatch TAC triggers too. Also, I recently picked up a used Agency Arms magwell for my 32 for a good deal. I was very surprised on how it helped my grip and cleaned things up. Yeah, I'm sure it helps with reloads slightly but it's how it helps the grip is what's the biggest factor for me. I'd be hard pressed to pay the list of $100ish for one but it's definitely a good upgrade if you can find a deal IMO.

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
Some things benefit from modification. Some things don't.
Glock would fall in the second category. If you want to, go for it. It is doubtful you will make it "better", but perhaps more to your liking.

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
Some things seem like a good idea while your doing them.
But, later, when cognitive dissonance kicks in, we have to come up with excuses to justify our modifications.
The 4WD badge is a nice touch, isn't it. Sort of reminds me of a Punisher rear slide plate that I saw at the range.

·
Native Mainiac
27,647 Posts
I never sweat about what anybody wants to do with their guns...except the time my buddy did some home engraving on a 629-1 with a Dremel thinking he was an artist. Gun still functions fine...but he's tp embarresed to take it out of hos safe now.
For the Glocks, the only "modified" one I have is one I won here.. Presscot Gun Club G17..but the other 4 have after market sights.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts