Modifying guns (long read from old man)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SH10151, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM.

1. SH10151

SH10151

Last November I was intrigued by a handwritten ad at my local range for a private sale.

I have chosen to omit it to protect the innocent, but here it is in a gist.

Glock project gun for sale. New Smyrna slide, CUSTOM S3F barrel, OEM frame and parts, PLUS EXTRAS!! Comes with 6 PMAGs or without. $300 OBO!
    [​IMG]

Here is the alleged gun.

I met the guy for the sale, took it apart with the Glock takedown tool (TM) that I carry with me for such occasions and confirmed that the inernals were unmolested, tried not to ask him WTF had happened to necessitate a new slide and barrel and offered him 250 for the whole thing which he took after offering me to look at the "custom slide" he was working on with RMR, comp barrel, and "other extras." There was also a Tyr god of something trigger on the table as an added incentive.

No thanks. I'm good.

Since I was already at the range/FFL for the transfer I fed it some ammo, it worked and put it on the back burner of my projects.

But it bothered me.

The G19 gen 3 is a perfect firearm out of the box. Aside from the personal decision to upgrade to factory or aftermarket sights, they are very capable of putting lead downrange in an expedient, reliable, and accurate fashion. Their stock appearance is also nicely minimalist and while it won't win beauty contests, it has the charm of a blocky 1980s SUV.

Mine looked like a hot mess of aftermarket parts.

The magwell came off, I got pins from Glock to remove the beavertail, and there's nothing wrong with Glock barrels, so I got this from someone who was in desperate need to upgrade their Glock. Looked pristine with my borescope.

[​IMG]

Thus the finished product that I posted up in the neglected Frankenglock thread from a few months ago.

There, from a working firearm, to some project gun that may have suffered a catastrophic mishap that necessitated an rebuilt slide and new barrel, to how it originally looked again.

Then last night over my taxes that I didn't want to do I started to think how many times we take a working gun, modify it to make it better with an endless catalog of aftermarket crap, only to wind up with something we are unhappy with, dump, and wish we had never started the project in the first place.

Clearly custom Glock seller guy had a vision of a "better" G19, but reality ensued and he was upset enough with his project to sell it off.

We are all guilty. I have sent off 1911s for work and no AR I've owned resembles the rifle I bought after a few years. We can't be happy with just shooting and learning the guns we have, we need to improve the trigger, file down stuff here and there, need a better barrel that has more MOAs, add a spring here or there because the stock spring is no good, and the end product can be a hot mess if we're not careful.

The older I get the more I resist modifying a gun that works. A 400 dollar Glock that works can be a 2000 dollar project that doesn't if you're not careful. Old guns that I "customized" I reverted to stock and learned to enjoy them the way they were out of the box. I have a box of upgrade parts for Glocks, 1911s, Berettas, shotguns/rifles and ARs that haven't lived up to their potential. The more I shoot the more I think that the best gun is the stock gun.

Cynthia7421, dusty9, Coachgun and 5 others like this.
  2. geefal

geefal

owned many different iterations of the Colt AR15.

Only one I own now is an almost dead stock Colt SP1 16inch carbine. No rails, no nothing except for an original Colt 3x scope and side sling adapters.

I will say, I like my customized Colt Combat Commander.

Cynthia7421 and SH10151 like this.

3. G23c

G23c

good post. I did that to a beautiful stock SOCOM II, don't know what I was thinking with all the urban assault crap I hung on it (so ... much ... rail). finally cut my losses and went back to its beautiful utilitarian self.

live and learn ...

4. SH10151

SH10151

lol, me too.

Cynthia7421 likes this.
  5. Coachgun

Coachgun

I know what you mean. Majority of my guns are bone stock. I’ve had some trigger and action work on my CAS guns and replaced a large loop lever with a 3/4 lever on a Rossi 92. Now for vehicles....if only I had all the money I blew on cars 30 yrs ago while in high school! Probably could’ve gotten a nice 1911 or M1 Garand at a decent price instead.

6. DrewBone

DrewBone

You have exemplified the reality that wisdom can only be obtained through experience ;)

7. rds95991

rds95991

Form fits function. It if works, I don't mess with it. I like all my sights to be the same and my eyes aren't the best so I might change the sights. I'm left handed so I might change or sand down the mag release so the sharp corner doesn't poke my trigger finger. If something breaks, depending on how long it lasted, I might upgrade the part to a part is stronger or I may get another stock part. Pretty much it.

Since all the parts are designed to work together, too often, changing one part may necessitate changing another, and another, etc.

Atomic Punk and Cynthia7421 like this.
  8. biggen

biggen

Sometimes, less really is more.

Cynthia7421 likes this.
  9. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

I like an enjoy tinkering with guns. I built my ar15. I have a 10-22 and 22/45 i got as project guns.If the mod makes it fit you as a user better or increases function without hurting reliability, go for it.

10. Cynthia7421

Cynthia7421

Thank you, good read.

11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I modify only to improve reliability, accuracy and ease of use for me.
    Some just like to tinker and that is okay, too.

12. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

Actually, I took a Socom II, immediately pulled that cluster of a rail off and simply put a very nicely made side folding stock on it. It also has a 2-6 pistol scope on the forward rail and it works quite well, just as it sits. (Shown here with a short lived Aimpoint PRO on it)
    IMG_0460a.jpg
    So while that was a case in DE-cluttering a gun down to simplicity, I can also say that I have gone the other way as well. On Glocks, 1911s and ARs, and AKs too... Maybe some of us are destined to go down that path of silliness, simply to learn... "simple is better"?