Modifying an extended magazine release??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Domonlord, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Domonlord

Domonlord

First off, I have a G19 that I plan on using for concealed carry. I guess I have short thumbs as I used to have trouble manipulating the slide stop or magazine release for Glocks (and some other brands too). I ended up getting an extended slide stop and extended magazine release earlier this year.

After shooting a bunch of ammo through it, I absolutely love the extended slide stop and I honestly don't think it'll get in the way of concealed carry. I'm a bit worried about the extended magazine release. It allows me to drop the empty magazine without having to readjust my right (main?) hand, but if you try to set the G19 down with a loaded magazine on the left side (side the ext. magazine release sticks out) it has a high chance of ejecting the magazine. That's a definitely no no for concealed carry as it may get bumped while in a holster. I thought about simply sanding it down some and rounding out the edges so it wasn't such a sharp square. Any ideas?

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

That's exactly what most people do for all the reasons you have given... and it works! You could go with the Vickers extended which is mid-length bewtween the Glock standard and extended too. I prefer the $3 sanding down option as opposed to the $18 one...

3. Domonlord

Domonlord

Haha, ya... I don't see myself handing over $18 for a piece of plastic. That's more than quality metal 1911 mag releases.

The only downside I can see to sanding it down would be losing the serrations which kinda worries me.

4. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

either use a medium/soft arkansas stone, or some 500 or higher sandpaper. I take a knife and cut off the edges and then sand to make it smoother. You could get some 1000-1500 grain sandpaper if you wanted to make it smooth like glass.

Just do it slow so you dont get the plastic too hot and gob it up.

5. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Hobbit"

I would have to give a second for the Vickers. I feel like it should be around 12 dollars rather than 18 to 20, but I feel like it is a great product. You can sand down the Glock extended release as well for about 3 bucs and a little work. You do loose the serations, allthough I have doen a few and just textured them. General rule for carrying concealed, lay your pistol on a flat surface, and press down hard on it. If your mage doesn't release, your GTG. TXPO.

6. sab

sab

I used a small triangular file to cut serrations back into mine after shortening it. Take your time, and it will look just like the original.

7. DougW

DougW Native Texan

Extended mag releases for Glocks is why The Lord created the Dremmel tool! 4 of my 5 have the extended release rounded off and slightly shortened, and they have never been a problem in concealed carry or 3 Gun Matches.Just need to buy a release for #5 now.

8. googanelli

googanelli

stipple it after sanding it down with a sharp soldering iron. That's what I did and it turned out awesome.

-Joe

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Don't get me wrong the Vickers is great, I have owned and sold a couple. The sanding down option is just better for my needs and cheaper too.

10. James Dean

James Dean

Thats a very good idea

11. Zatec

Zatec

I did the sanding down of an extended mag release as well.
    I shaved enough off so I'm happy with it, it's a little bit longer then standard.
    Also shaved off all of the sharp edges and corners.