Modifified Zippo

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Deputydave, Feb 12, 2020.

1. engineer151515

engineer151515

I carry a Zippo. Am a non-smoker.
    Fuel smell reminds me of my Dad
    Looks like this
    Screenshot_20200216-213024-01.jpeg

Attached Files:

Deputydave and cbetts1 like this.
  2. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I still have a lighter that bought on the strip in Panama City Beach back in 1985. It has remained in my garage for burning the ends of cord. The thing still works

Its not a Bic but its a "bic-style" disposable. Please dont tell me about how fragile or unreliable these kinds of lighters are. I have used them for decades and have experienced very little in the way of defects or failures. I have 4 in my BOB that I test each year in April. They are 9 years old right now and no problems thus far.

I suggest that you get the lighters you can see through, buy several and stop worrying about them. Check them each year and call it a day.

Zippos are fine for something you are going to carry around and readily maintain. I would never put a zippo into a survival kit. I would rather have a handful of bics.

3. cbetts1

cbetts1

Agree with Zippo, it will be dry when you need it unless fueled regularly, happened to me. Not sure how long the butane inserts last. I would guess years with no leaks.
    I had lighters in a kit for a few years. When I went to use it, I couldn't turn the wheel to produce a spark. I guess the key is to turn them every so often.

4. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Inspired by this thread, I went in and found my hunting pack. Sadly I didn't get to use it this past year, but have one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BX6WP1M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 hooked to the outside. Opened it up and it lit on the first strike. It has been in the closet for over a year and was filled nearly 15 months ago.
    Not the traditional Zippo, and I have a drawer full of them in refurbished by the factory condition, but a nice little lighter.

cbetts1 and wiskeyVI like this.
  5. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

The old school Ronson-style lighters probably hold fuel a little better than Zippo. Never tested but just think the spring-loaded metal cap over the wick and the brass screw fuel door work better. I have one from the 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair that still works great if you load it up. I was still using it into the late 90’s when I was a smoker.

Wouldn’t use either or anything like ‘em for ‘survival’ purposes though. Bic FTW