close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Modem Speed Prob

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Medford4, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

A couple of months ago I noticed my connection speed dropped dramatically. I was connecting at over 52kbps....now I'm connecting around 33.2kbps..sometimes slower. I've run modem diagnostics, and everything checks out normal. I'm running Windows XP in a nearly new Dell Desktop...Any suggestions?^2

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

i bet your ISP lost a server or moved farther away or something. you might want to call them and ask if they've done something.

3. plato

plato softie

I'm at 45kbps right this minute, most of the time I'm around 33kbps and sometimes at barely 26kbps. I'm such a sad bastard. Go ahead and laugh.

:soap:

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Medford, I worked at an ISP for a few years, so I might be able to offer some assistance.

First, unplug the RJ-11 from the modem and the wall, then plug them back in (to assure a clean, tight interface).

Next, try a different phone jack in the house.

Have you added a new answering machine or phone recently? Try unplugging it before you test again.

If those ideas don't help, check your modem cord; is it under 6' long? If not, try using a shorter cord.

Try a different cord, just in case....you never know if the cat chewed on it or something just came loose.

Your final two possibilities are to call the ISP to see if they cut some bandwidth from the modem rack you dial into, since they may have a new access number in your area but they might not do a very good job of getting the word out.

Last, have the phone co. check your lines for excess noise. Has there been audible static on the line lately?

Just so you know, the FCC does not mandate the supply of more than the 14Kb/s needed for sending a fax or for voice ase part of the TelCo's service agreement with you. In other words, as long as the line carries your voice satisfactorily they are living up to their part of the service agreement. A 52Kb/s connect is just gravy.

Good luck, and let's hope this gets resolved soon!

5. srhoades

srhoades

Has your area received a lot of rain recently? Water and phone lines don't mix. Is there any way you can get a shorter phone cable? The shorter the better. Or, save yourself a lot of trouble and get a broadband connection.

6. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

If you have a really want to know if it is your house or your ISP, you can plug in to the test port on the external phone box on your house (assuming you're in a house with recent 80's or later phone wiring). If not, you can't test that. But, you can try dialing someone else (a good use for an AOL trial CD).

-k

7. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Uh Beavis,

What's a modem and stuff??

heh heh.