close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mobile CPU's in Desktops??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RaiderRodney, Jan 25, 2006.

1. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I have decided to hold off before upgrading my motherboard for a bit. I have found a decent deal on a 3.06mhz mobile cpu though and am seriously considering it. My worry is that this will not work properly in a desktop. Seller posted that it will without any problems.

I have a socket 478 ASUS branded SONY board currently running a 2.4. I know the board supports HT and since this is the only model that supports it I should be fine....still weary though. I'd hate to have to turn around and re-sell it :(

There are two models on the 3.06 with 533 bus. The normal desktop one only has a 512k cache and this one (the mobile edition) has a 1mb cache.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. RaiderRodney

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I see that's a Pentium 4 not a Pentium M.I didn't think the Pentium M was that fast.The Pentium M is based on the Pentium III.I'm not sure what motherboards will take that CPU.That's a lot of money for a CPU that speed for a desktop.I doubt it would be worth trying and I'm not even sure it would work in a desktop motherboard.

5. RaiderRodney

Oh, I'm not planning on paying that price. I am hoping to get it for a tad over $100 ;)

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I found some info which may be outdated but says "no hyper threading".

Mobile Pentium 4 M

Also based on the Northwood core, the Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor - M[2] was released on April 23, 2002[3] and included Intel's SpeedStep and Deeper Sleep technologies, but not Hyper-Threading. Intel's naming conventions made it difficult at the time of the processor's release to identify the processor model. There was the Pentium III mobile chip, the Mobile Pentium 4 M (or the P4-M), the Mobile Pentium 4 (or the Mobile P4), and then just the Pentium M which itself was based on the Pentium III.

Lots of different models so it might have it.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

okay looks like there is the Pentium 4-M and the MOBILE INTEL PENTIUM 4.These are different?

8. RaiderRodney

Looks like this is an overclockers dream. Seems desktop mb's may only detect it as a 1.6ghz. However if that is the case it is capable of being oc'd up to 3.6 as long as you can get the clock up there. I remember when I oc'd my 2.4 I had miles more that I could go so this may be a diamond in the rough for me. They also run way cooler than most P4's which will help.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

10. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

11. RaiderRodney

Thanks for the links DC but I am running a 2.4 now oc'd to 2.7. It only has a 512k cache but dont really see paying that if I can't get up to the 3.06 with HT. Since that is a discontinued processor my only option is getting a used one. And unless I get the mobile one still stuck with the 512k cache :(

I found out that my motherboard with the 533 fsb is useless with the mobile ones as well :( I have retracted my bid on it and I guess will just wait until I build my AMD monster later on to get another CPU.

Thanks for all the help though :)

12. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

You didn't want it anyway. That 1MB part is a Prescott core, which is hotter and not particularly faster, especially on a 533MHz bus, and even more especially on a northbridge designed for your Northwood core. There were 3.06/533 and 3.4/800 Northwoods, and they were good, but long since gone.

13. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I have seen 2.8Ghz Northwoods with 533 FSB and HT.That would get you the HT but not the 1MB cache.They are much cheaper than the 3.06Ghz.I doubt it would be worth it though.