Mobile broadband - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Sep 6, 2007.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I have a need for several of our employees to have mobile broadband. Some have gotten cards from Verizon, Cingular, etc, and in general are underwhelmed. Coverage is spotty and speed sucks. And it costs $50 - $80 bucks a month.

Is that pretty much the state of this technology or have any of you found any good solutions?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

It's usually quite a bit slower than broadband at home with DSL etc. Prices are are around $60 a month. Read the contract carefully. While many cell phone contracts have a lower price to cancel the internet service ones are usually the full two year contract price even if you want to cancel the service. If you need internet service while away or traveling there aren't many choices. Depending on location it usually works just slower than other broadband services.

3. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I've had very good luck with the Sprint AirCards. Get service everywhere in town and even while on vacation in the middle of nowhere. I get about the same speeds as dsl in town and dial up in the boonies.

4. Theblackwulf

Theblackwulf Guest

Your best bet is Sprint. Verizon has a similar service, however it is a bit slower than Sprint, and they will cut you off for bandwidth usage "good way to get out of a contract though" Where as Sprint has welcomed the high bandwidth usage with open arms. The coverage is about the same for both. As for Cingular/AT&T don't bother, lower bandwidth higher prices, less coverage.

5. vanderson

vanderson Guest

+1 for sprint I am a network administrator and use it very much and its rather quick for the cost and does its job!