close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mobile anti virus

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rfrf, Aug 21, 2010.

1. rfrf

rfrf

I am aware of the need for anti virus on a PC. Is there such a need for anti virus on a smart phone ?

Thanks in Advance,

RF

2. Danariel

Danariel

Not sure of a "need" per se, but I have a Droid Incredible, and I'm running Lookout on it. Mainly for the backup and location abilities (though I've got Tasker for the location now...so do I really need it?)

I have read about the first Android virus:
    http://pocketnow.com/android/first-android-virus

I'm keeping Lookout.

3. ZTucker

ZTucker

I've often worried about the iPhone 4 being able to catch viruses now that it can multithread. I know it's apps run in their own sandbox, but it still makes me worry. Anyone heard anything about the security on the iPhone 4?

4. rfrf

rfrf

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out.
    rf

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

This is just my opinion, so take of it what you will...there are viruses out there for phones, but there are not enough or they are not a big enough of a threat to worry about it.

If you can find a free antivirus for your particular phone OS, maybe it is worth putting it on your phone. Although even free I wouldn't even bother. But paying for one I believe to be a big waste of money.

Having said that, things could change in a few years as smart phones get more popular not to mention the market of who is more popular changes and a clear winner emerges to make it worth writing a virus other than to see if you can. Just to give an example, I think I recall Android only being about 20 or 30% of the market. iPhone is probably around that number, not to mention the other phones (Blackberry, Palm, Windows Mobile, etc.).

Again, take my opinion with a grain of salt...if you're super paranoid about it, then go for it, it's your money. But I wouldn't bother.

6. solomansousana

solomansousana

I would assume anything that is capable of surfing the web, is also capable of becoming infected.