Mobil 1 for friction points ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by samuel harper, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

MY first guess, assuming you have decent shooting fundamentals, would be you are using too much oil. Combine oil with pocket carry and you get all the dust and debris in your pocket turning into mud in your gun because of excess oil. If you can tell there is oil on it, it has too much oil.

2. thespork

thespork

I'd guess that too...
    Striker fired guns require next to no oil...
    It's not that oiling them is bad, as it will minimize wear at the friction points, but they don't NEED it to work..

The part I'm most anal about oiling on my shield is the trigger-striker engagement point because it makes the trigger feel a lot better.. when that point gets dry it is noticibly more gritty..

buster55 likes this.

3. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

I entirely agree using motor oil is perfectly fine. What solvent we use to clean off gunk could cause problems with the finish or plastic.

That said. This thread literally got me off by butt and I filled an empty gun oil bottle with extra Valvoline 0-20 oil I have. I have no idea what the "ideal" motor oil is, and I'm not a believer that using a multi weight oil on a gun is going to do anything more or less. It's just the extra I had lying around.

Motor Oil is a perfect cost effective alternative to just about any other gun lubricant product. If with motor oil the firearm operates normally in the winters of Alaska or the summers of Florida swamps, and the hottest days of Arizona then well, what more could one possibly want out of a lubricant?

4. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

I hope WalterGa is well and doing ok. Miss him!

5. Retired Squid

Retired Squid

Used Mobil 0W-20 for years, then went to 0W-40 that was used in my 05 Mercedes, then 0W-40 Rotella for my 2014 Ram ECO Diesel and now it's 0W-20 MS6395 Pennzoil and Mobil 1 synthetic grease for slides when going plinking.

6. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

I see him on another gun forum, still full of knowledge and still quite the character
    We sure had a cast of characters back then..:cheers:

Wolfgang and boilergonzo like this.
  7. Maxx702

Maxx702 Rottweilers making America great again!

No doubt Mobil 1 is by far a superior lubricant than the over priced snake oil they sell as high tech gun oil.

I went a step further and bought a small jar of molly grease that will probably last well beyond my lifetime.

image.jpeg

jazzsax8 and Intolerant like this.
  8. wcb6092

wcb6092

I use Lucas marine grease for lube and clean with Ballistol.

The marine grease has anti corrosion agents in it.

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/marine-grease

Key Benefits
    • OBCS (Overbased Calcium Sulfonate)
    • Typical weld point of 500 Kg the minimum industry standard is 200 Kg
    • Timken Load 65 lbs
    • Dropping point 570 °F
    • Provides rust and corrosion protection in both fresh water and salt water environments
    • Effective Water Resistance
    • Long Lasting
    • Resist Extreme Pressure
    • Extreme Friction Reducer

rogn likes this.
  9. rogn

rogn real dogs

Got experimenting a little bit with hBN and made a paste of it with Mobil 1. It really is a super lube. The oil is great but the boron nitride works into the metal and stays forever. Even if the paste is removed there is still a great amount of friction reduction. Makes a slide feel like its on ball bearings.

10. ottomatic

ottomatic

After doing some research on "hBN", I think I want to play with it also. Where does one get small quantities of it?

11. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

If you google "where to buy hexagonal boron nitride", you will see options.

I noticed amazon had a couple of options with small amounts.

Hope this helps...……...

12. Intolerant

Intolerant

13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

That's under perfect conditions. No ring blow by...no oil consumption. PCV valve working perfectly.

Burnt gas does get past the rings on newer cars, even. The 20,000 mile bit is a hoax. You run any oil for 20,000 miles and it's going to have harmful deposits in it.

14. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Glock says to lube the slide rail cuts but they do not specify grease. A high quality grease would be better between the slide rail cuts and the frame guides for the slide rail cuts than oil or CLP. Sorry, but Glock got this one wrong. I know they built the gun and many say Glock knows more than we, but they got this one wrong. YglockperfectionisntperfectMMV

15. Komatsu61

Komatsu61

Mercon 5 full synthetic trans fluid. Just because my old ford used it and I have a couple quarts left over. Use it on all kinds of stuff. Put it in the old style oil can.

16. oldmick

oldmick

I’ve always used CLP. On older Sigs I also used TW25B because that’s what Sig recommended (and included with new firearms).

I’m sure other lubricants worked too. I just never listed “how can I find a better/ or less expensive solution to replace CLP or TW25B” as a priority. But maybe others use a lot more lube or have a much larger firearm inventory. Who knows.

Whatever starts yur tractor, I guess. :)

17. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

A guy from the chemistry dept had me machine him some parts out of hBN. I never heard of the stuff but noticed the "lubricating" properties of it. After doing some research on it, I kept all of the powder from the machining process. I need to find the bag I saved and try mixing it in oil as a carrier.

18. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Appears it does lube, well, but if you add it to an already good lube. By itself, it has no rust prevention....something damn near every kind of gun lube automatically has.

19. rogn

rogn real dogs

If it deposits in quantity, like a dust deposit, it will retain moisture just like dust or dirt. Mixing with a petroleum like lube eliminates this potential. Mixing with a synthetic 2cycle lube would add anticorrosion benefits.

It comes in different sized particles. Each size has some individual characteristics. What I've used is < 0.5 micron.

20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I guess I am out of touch. As noted by others, for metal-on-metal (e.g. SIG 226 slide rails) I use a light grease. But for Glock's, they just seem to run with a cleanup of CLP or Eezox. I don't add extra oils to the rails. I tried it, but as noted, it almost became a lint/crud magnet for debris.

Do others have Glock's that don't run well unless actually oiled? I guess I just don't see Glock's seizing up at the range because someone used CLP and just wiped it down.

I can see it getting dirty after 8 months of carry without use (!), but I am skeptical that Rem oil didn't hold up (and that other oils would, somehow). I think Mobil 1 is fine, but it would be fascinating if someone had ridiculous amounts of money to throw away to see if Mobil 1, Quaker State, Rem Oil, Lucas Gun Oil, or many others can truly be proven to be any better/worse/different in terms of gun use and function. I am guessing we would see differences between oil and lube, but few differences in function between various high temp oils.

I think more hinges on marketing and how we feel than how it truly functions. I have no problem with saving money and using Mobil 1, but a box of ammo likely costs more than a hundred year supply of (pick one) lubricant.

Rock2411 likes this.