Mobil 1 for friction points ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by samuel harper, Jun 13, 2020.

1. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

I use Milcomm grease and oil here for years. No issues. If a A10 can use it my firearms will be fine.

2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Yeah, wtf?

shooterMcGee likes this.

3. Toocool45

Toocool45

I have used Mobil 1 in all my vechicles for 30+ years. Changing oil and filter every 3,000 miles. Dont ever want to wear out an engine. Its a good lubricant. In my firearms I use Break free CLP for cleaning, after shooting. And just normal cleaning. For barrels that are really gummed Ill use hoppes9 cleaner. Then reassembling for lube I use Break free LP. But ive recently noticed that if you dont shoot it for a while and take it apart. The Break free CL has evaporated? So I think ill have to rethink my lube choice. When I run out ill switch over to Mobil 1. I dont see it evaporating. We will see.

4. deathpriest

deathpriest

Yep, Mobil 1, Rotella, Amsoil, Quaker State. All good lubricants. I've used grease as well. never an issue in over 20 years, handguns and long guns alike.

5. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

Welcome to GT!
    Yeah, Rem Oil is so light/thin as gun lube that it won’t stay on the metal parts for that long. I only used it to give my guns light cleaning after a short range session a couple of hundred rounds, but I’m now using something else even for that. Mobil 1 would be a better choice than Rem Oil as gun lube. (I’m sure there are even better gun lubes than Mobil 1.) I now use something else on my handguns, but I still use Mobil 1 to lube the bolt assemblies in my AR rifles. It works just fine.

If you pocket carry your G42 but rarely shoot it, you probably want to lightly clean and lube it like once a week or at least every other week to make sure that your gun is not developing any rusts and the lube has not dried completely.

6. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

I have used a "home brew" recipe lube consisting of 40% Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 synthetic oil , 40% Automatic Transmission Fluid and 20% STP Oil Treatment . Yes , it works well as a lube and you will have enough supply to last 20 life times ... However such a home brew does NOT protect against rust nor does it work very well as a cleaner . *In the end I have found that a separate cleaner and then followed with a LP is best for Glocks ... Lucas , SLIP 2000 EWL , FP-10 , M-Pro 7 and other dedicated LP's that stay put where you apply the lube , don't smell and are safe for skin contact are the way to go . I don't care if I pay $10 for a 4 oz. bottle of a CLP / LP as a 4 oz. bottle of an CLP / LP will last me a long time with Glocks .

7. Rock2411

Rock2411

I use gun oil or CLP for firearms and automotive products for my car. I use grease for metal frame Sigs and 1911s and oil for everything else. Gun oil is cheap, I don't know why people try and reinvent the wheel and use XYZ instead.

shooterMcGee likes this.
  8. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Then why use xyz "grease"?

Gun oil, per unit ounce, is not cheap (it is a money making rip off) -- might as well use something else on hand for "free" (like what remains inside the bottle after oil changes-- which gets thrown away-- enough for lifetime supply for use on your guns).

Nothing special about "gun oil" with a fancy tactical name or label on it..

9. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

STP/ATF/15w40 evenly mixed.

Add grease until it's a thickness you like. I like Mcdonalds ketchup thickness. Works wonderfully.

10. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

My J-frames get the Hoppes clean and lube treatment with a big splash of lovey talk while I'm cleaning them. My Glocks prefer a couple of squirts of piss and an air dry after every range session...but those sick bastards are still flawless shooters!:D

11. ottomatic

ottomatic

While there is nothing wrong with that, it (3000 mile change interval) does seem like overkill.

12. thespork

thespork

Changing synthetic oil every 3000 miles is a little obsessive....

The listed interval on my corrola is 10k... I change it about every 6k or so, and am probably wasting money

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    ranger1968 likes this.
  13. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Anyone notice oil manufacturers recommend shorter service intervals than car manufacturers with longer service intervals (which allows them to advertise lower owner maintenance costs)

One sells more oil

One sells more cars

shooterMcGee likes this.
  14. thespork

thespork

Most people don't end up buying a new car because of an engine fatality...
    It's usually a because of an increasing number of costly annoyances...
    That or it's just old and ratty and they are tired of it...

Every car I've ever sold, the engine ran fine...
    Jiffy lube is lying to you..
    In a modern, well made engine 3000k oil changes, even with dino juice are just not necessary.
    With synth oil and a good filter they a realllly unnecessary

shooterMcGee and ranger1968 like this.
  15. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I think 6k is good pm; no matter what they say, 10k is alot to ask of any oil.

16. Toocool45

Toocool45

The Mobil 1 I use says good for 20,000 or 1 year. I change cause I dont want to be the one with engine related failure. Dont want to be that guy.

17. TXPops

TXPops

It works for me with the right grease and temp. range.

wvbusdriver likes this.
  18. cciman

cciman MacGyver

If one were to do routine motor oil testing to monitor, and depending on the conditions inside the motor (all motors and uses will vary, not accounting for oil consumption and loss), it is possible to see oil good for up to 20-30K or even more miles. 3000K miles is very OLD school thinking...makes money for Jiffy lube, Castrol, and Pensoil.

BTW, when you go to oil change places like Jiffy- you may not know what quality oil or filters they use. Often they will use the least expensive and thinnest grade available in bulk. Better quality oil will cost more. Much better to do it yourself.

JohnnyE likes this.
  19. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

Master tech.

I change mine every 3000. Since I have a company vehicle, my personal truck is hardly used. 3000 miles on a less used vehicle, is 6000-10,000 on a daily driver. Work truck is 6000 diesel, 10 000 miles for gasoline.

Motorcycles every 2000. Dirtbikes every single decent ride. If it's dark, change it.

ZF transmissions Germany, recommends draining and filling (not to be confused with flushing) ATF every 30,000. Filter as per manufacturers recommendation.

Oil testing can cost as much as just changing it.

-JCN- likes this.
  20. thespork

thespork

There's a lot of room between 20k and 3k..
    Like I said, my corrola recommends a synth oil change every 10k...
    Toyota is a company that stakes its entire of its two flagship sedans (Camry and corrola) on reliability (certainly not looks or performance)... I dont think the 10k recommendation is a conspiracy to have people burn out the motors in their cars so they'll buy another one

That said, i do change it about every 6k-ish miles, because of the lingering guilt of not doing what my dad told me, and it still looks fresh...

It's your money, but for a daily driver, changing synth oil every 3k miles is a waste, and isn't going to make the engine last longer..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020