MNPD quiting and retiring

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Tomcat1977, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

https://www.virtualmirage.org/sunday-sermonette-42/

Thats a lot considering its only a 800 man sworn Dept. . 46 put in their papers and 14 just quit, of course add 4 up on charges and who knows how many hurt in those riots. 800 sworn for a town of almost 1/2 million is nothing, almost 800,000 in Twin Citys and 3.4 m in the greater metro. They are also down one precinct, from 5 to 4, from all the grief.

We'd have over 1/2 less sworn if we went by the same formula, of course "sworn" is relative with all the inside clout spots hidden away. Ive worked midnight watches so skinny the assignment sheets would take 5 seconds to print out.

2. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I'm shocked...

Sharkey likes this.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Thanks for those numbers. I'm curious to discover the subset of the employee population who retire (time in service and medical) / resign either in part or wholly due to the social movement against LE.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  4. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

They say six a day are quoting the NYPD for various reasons but some have to be because they can get jobs where they aren’t treated like crap.

5. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Can't say I blame them. No one wants to be hated all day every day at work. I would be a lot of others are hunting new jobs too.

6. CAcop

CAcop

Then there are the de facto retirements where cops just write enough tickets and handle their calls for service.

Even with calls for service you can sandbag it. We had a local bookseller who calls the police over every shoplifting. Its fine if its 1950 but in this day and age it goes nowhere. They called me for a $20 book they had recovered and the guy ran out the back. In 1998 I would have chased him and if caught be willing to do what it took to arrest him. In 2015 no way. All I need is to stick him or shoot him and suddenly those moves are saying, "We didn't want that" after the fact. I basically walked up to them and said, "Was that the suspect?" When they said it was i put out his description in case anyone wanted to chase him and got no takers. No problems from management either.

Part of why we are in this pickle is because management doesn't want to piss off the public telling that a counterfeit $20 bill isn't worth it. Or that if he is high, if he can pull it together we can send him on his way. Or spend 30 seconds with 4 cops telling him this can go easy or this can go hard. Just chill out in a cell for a few hours and it will all be over. You can blow off the court date like everyone else.

7. Tomcat1977

Yeah my guess is they have a contract coming up and sense the high hard one heading their way so just get out while the city is contractually required to pay a pension. It makes it harder to stick it to them. There is always a scam behind the rhetoric and my guess is the pensions and $$ are behind everything.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I can't imagine why anybody with 20-year retirement doesn't retire at 20 anyhow. "But...but...I could get an extra $100 a month on my retirement pay." Yeah, or you could get your retirement pay right now, while you draw 100% of the pay from your next LE job and, since you're only 45, you can draw retirement from 2 departments by age 65 if you want.

I'm assuming, of course, that 20-year LE retirement is pretty common across the country.

9. collim1

collim1

25 for me and 30 for the kids coming in now. I got lucky I got in before the change.

I can retire the day I hit my 25, will be 48 years old. The kids hired now have to work 30 and can’t draw until age 62.

There aren’t enough cushy desk jobs to go around. My guess is almost none of them will stay to pension.

Gray_Rider and ranger1968 like this.
  10. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Not to mention, that second L.E. gig might be in a locale where the folks you serve actually support and appreciate what you do. :thumbsup:

11. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Burglary run? Go lights and siren. Bingo, perp gone before the cops get there.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That sucks. Never heard fo 30 years minimum in a hazardous duty job. I only have to work 27 to retire as a lawyer - if they had given me an office inside a prison when I first started with the gov, I'd have been able to retire at 20.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  13. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Bren, then let me school you on MA (not for the State Police, locals only. SP have a much better deal)! It's a very old system, designed for people to come in young and leave at age 55:

Ages 21 through 44 the multiplier is 1.0% (ten year minimum. 1% for each year of service.
    20 yrs=20% at age 44)

45 through age 55, the multiplier goes up .1% each year. 45=1.1%, 46=1.2% etc. At age 55 it's 2.5% times the number of years in. 2.5% is max multiplier.

Max possible (no OT, straight last three years salary) is 72%. Requires 32 years of service.

Hope I got that all right. Been out ten years! BTW, I bought back four years service time, so I did OK.

ProjectCamaro likes this.
  14. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

No. Again. Pensions aren’t contractual here. They are civil service law. In fact, pensions have gotten worse for new guys against the union wishes by law and not negotiated as it would be in a contract.

It went from Tier 2A to Tier 6 in 10 years. The new guys are getting screwed and the only reason veteran cops weren’t is because the state constitution protections about changing the deal in the middle of the game. It doesn’t protect them from changing it for people who aren’t hired yet. So all the new guys got screwed.

No this is about how politicans including DAs are throwing cops under the bus for doing things the way they ordered them to do and trained them to do. And sometime failure in that training can be human like aiming for the shoulder but hitting the neck or head because the target ducked.

The DAs do get a review of the training and could have voiced their objections at any time. Only now to they have an objection because of the politics.

They are throwing cops under the bus. The union is the only voice we have to speak out against this BS. The police commissioner speaks for his department but not for the cops themselves. The union does. That’s why they are speaking out.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  15. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

There was incentives to stay longer like for detectives they will offer a promotion to second or first grade if they stay. It takes a few years to get to top pay in that grade, so they stay until they reach it. It’s a considerable difference in pay. Captains who hope to reach inspector or chief stay. Others have other incentives to stay like longevity pay becomes pensionable at 25 years. The IHTP money ( like a 401k within the pension) builds up more. Staying longer for tier two people made a significant difference in their pension numbers. And there is the 1/60 of what you make past your twentieth year is added to your pension numbers. All of this can significantly raise one’s pension with the overtime completed with a cap based on the pattern of overtime done for the past years. Guys have to kill themselves with overtime to get the maximum benefit ( and yes there is a general overtime cap) If a detective on a homicide is at the cap, they send him home.

The new guys have to stay 25 years if they want the full pension benefits now and when they hit 62 years old they subtract a value of their proposed social security benefits from their pensions, even if they are going to wait to collect social security. And they wonder why it’s hard to recruit qualified people.

And we contribute a percentage of our salaries toward these pensions. When I was active, I was contributing about 13%

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  16. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Funny, I know a guy who did exactly that.... :dancing:

17. ottomatic

ottomatic

You forgot to add: while staying under the speed-limit and obeying all stop signs, red lights, etc.

18. JK-linux

JK-linux

Is there any official sourcing for where they got these numbers? Thus far, I can't find any mention of it anywhere but the the site in the OP and a few Twitter posts from just random people.

Thanks

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My brother asked for my opinion when he got 20 years in - I advised him to retire ASAP. He is now drawing retirement while working as a detective and drawing that pay with no retirement deducted.

LilCop2002, Gray_Rider and Ajon412 like this.
  20. Tomcat1977

There was, offhand I can't remember it but it was a source I'd trust. Maybe it was Fox.