close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MN 91/30 on the way..

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Another Miller, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Was out browsing at a local shop running a sale.89 bucks each,round or hex receiver.I notice one particular rifle that had the m stamp under the crest,its a 1933 and hex receiver.overall vg condition.Comes with sling,bayo and the other stuff.

So I put 20 bucks down to hold it and another guy tells me its a ministry of defense weapon by the stampings and 89 is a good price.Bore is vg also.

I am looking forward to payday.:supergrin:

2. mixflip

mixflip

I sold mine and regret it. I kept the bent bolt handle so I can buy another one some day. When Big5 has an $89 sale I am getting another one.

Here is what it looked like.
    [​IMG]

3. sputnik767

sputnik767

I have a ministry of defense 91/30. The markings will say "MO" and there will be a second date stamped on the receiver. Otherwise, there is nothing special about the MO marked guns.

4. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I cant wait to get it home and take it apart to clean it up. That bolt handle sure was stubby small though.

5. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Well, picked it up today and cleaned it up.

Its not an "mo" at all. Its just a simple all matching stamped Izhevsk 1933 with the o,k and u proofs.The bore cleaned up nice,shiny and has decent rifling but it is counterbored,which I dont care for.Still, under a hundred bucks for a fun plinker with history aint bad. This C&R collecting can get addictive.

Picked up a box of non corr ammo,paid 10 bucks for 20 rounds.Now all I need is some stripper clips.

6. sputnik767

sputnik767

Well, I have to say, you overpaid on the ammo, by roughly double. Pick up some military surplus online or at gun shows. It'll run approximately 25 cents per round. And don't worry about shooting corrosive. That gun shot corrosive ammo all throughout WWII, and turned out fine. Just clean it soon after shooting.

7. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

If it's privi partisan, wolf gold, winchester, or the like it's a decent price. If it's plain wolf, barnaul or bear then yea you overpaid a bit. Not a bad find though.

8. M1a65

M1a65

Sweet gun Mixflip! You don't really need the bent bolt with the forward mounted scope. How did you do that? I also like the AK 74 muzzle brake. Did that help the massive recoil?

9. hoffy

hoffy

They have a lot of info. I love these rifles, been collecting them since they let them back in . Got really lucky and most of mine are from Finland, only have a few Soviet ones. Your gun will shoot better if it is crowned , even if it goes deep, I have seen some go seemingly well over an inch. I shoot corrosive through mine all the time, just make sure you clean it with water first, or something made for black powder, then dry and clean as normal. Got to have shot 50+k corrosive rounds over the years and none of mine have rusted. I saw an Egyptian Hakim 8mm semi auto with a pristine bore that got shot with that hot dirty ammo that came with the guns. I told my buddy o clean it with soapy water, but he was in the military and used CLP and ruined his gun. My bore looks like a mirror . Re the Mosin. practice shooting it without dropping it from your shoulder, with practice they can be fired surprisingly fast, though the Soviet ones aren't as slick as the Finns. You kinda have to slap the blot.

10. Fugitive74

Fugitive74

89 isnt bad, I picked up one last year for 86, probably looking to sporterize it like mix's but with a boyds stock and standard scope, not the scout scope mount.

Also looking to have the barrel cut to about 24"

11. M1a65

M1a65

It is a very long weapon. I heard they made it that long to pole vauld German barbed wire, wonder if there's any truth to that? ;)

12. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

I found a WW 2 See Thru scope mount on evilbay and had it drilled and tapped locally for $40.00. They are still available on there now by the way. I was able to find a guy who swept the bolt back to accomodate the scope and mirror polish the bolt and all internals for $55. Send me a pm with an email addy if you want pics or the bolt guys info. The forward mounted scout scope style has it's pluses and minuses. It's cheaper to mount and won't require any gunsmithing is a plus. The minus for me is loss of iron sight use and it will never be as solid as a drilled and tapped mount.

13. oldfort

oldfort

You are right about C&R collecting being addictive. Keep your eyes open for the Finn Mod 39 and the Russian carbines Mods 38, 44, and 91/59. Lots of Mauser Mods out there. I have some Enfield sporters that can be found cheap. My most favorite and maybe most accurate C&R's are the Swiss Rubin K31's. I picked several at $89. They cost much more now. Some good reading for C&R at "Milsurpshooter.Net" Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  14. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Ive already got a k98 and this mn being my second C&R in a couple years. Im already planning on scoping both if I can find some steel bases and rings along with a 4x scope,that don't require a second mortgage.I can do all the drilling/tapping myself.

The ammo I bought for the mn that cost me a ten was wrapped in paper at 20 rounds.I was told it was 80s steel core Russian issue,but the cheapest they had.I hope to find a source for cheaper 7.62 x 54r ammo.

Also, what is the large "U" stamp on the barrel, next to the Russian crest? it has another "u" stamping only smaller with a "o" running along side the barrel and an x and y stamp on the other side of the barrel.They sure did like stamping letters all over their guns lol.

15. 390ish

390ish

great rifle. good for handloading. hope you enjoy it.

16. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats.

Looking forward to pics. :)

17. thisaway

thisaway

I got my 1943 Izhevsk for $65 several years ago. It is one of the "corncob" rifles...exterior finish rough as hell, but it shoots pretty well. Tough to beat for the price I paid.

18. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

My mn is a refurb.The wood looks like new and there is a rather odd black coating,not parkerizing,durable like the WW2 US rifles grey/green coatings on the receiver and barrel. the magshell is blued.No rust and had no pitting.

At least that black whatever didnt wipe off with carb cleaner.That was a good sign.lol.

I checked out that c&r website.Great info there,thanks.

Update, got another surprise.Its not counterbored!! and those rounds I bought are a bit over powered for the steel pig gong at 100 yards.Ruined it now, Im going to have to buy another steel pig and some softer lead bullets.Got a bore light and it being not counterbored was a big surprise.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010