Mmm... Gin...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Aphotic, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

I bought the Four Seasons bartending guide at Barnes and Noble the other night and decided to try out some of the "Summer" drinks that it lists...

I've never tried gin before, so I acquired a bottle of Tanqueray and started some mixing. Here's my new favorite, it's MY version of a "Gin Fizz."

You need:

Tall glass
    Long spoon
    Crushed ice
    Gin (Beefeater if you're broke, Bombay if you like the bottle, and Tanq if you want the best quality)
    Tonic Water
    Gingerale
    Lime

Quarter the lime. Fill your glass 3/4 full with ice. Fill glass 1/4 full of gin. Fill glass another 1/4 full with Tonic water. Top it off (1/2 glass) with gingerale. Squeeze lime wedge and drop into drink. Stir with spoon for 15-20 seconds... Enjoy.

Gin and Apple Juice is also very good with no "alcohol" flavor. My ladyfriend likes it:

Fill tall glass 3/4 full with ice. Fill glass 1/3 full with gin, fill the remaining 2/3 with Apple Juice (the sweeter the better) and stir for 15-20 seconds.

Do you guys have any "bootleg" or otherwise not-complicated drinks you like? Let's get a little recipe book started.

If you can, TRY TO KEEP THE VARIETY OF ALCOHOL TO A MINIMUM. As cool as it is to have a quadruple layered shot, most people can't drop $100 on 5 or 6 different bottles of alcohol to mix a single drink.

Stick to one or two alcohol products, but use as many mixers (gingerale, coke, sweet/sour mix etc.) as you'd like.

2. mudfootball

mudfootball

although i still say my favorite mixed drink is maker's mark on the rocks ;) gin and tonic is a close second, some other craziness you might attempt would involve grapefruit juice in some way, not the ruby red stuff the slightly tangy stuff. also a-treat makes used to sell a bunch of orange dry soda its getting harder to find but it a great match. they also make a bitter lemon soday that i swear was meant to be mixed with gin. enjoy and thanks for the tip
    kt

3. Rob1035

Rob1035 Skeet Surfer

i must say, i'm not a fan of mixed drinks. unless its grain alcohol, i'm not dumb enough to drink that **** straight any more.

4. c5367

c5367 Esq.

This is a great "get-vashnicked" shot

1/3 Bacardi 151
    1/3 Butterscotch Schnapps
    1/3 Bailey's

Add the bailey's last. It tastes exactly like butterscotch candy. All the intoxicating goodness of 151, none of the harshness.

5. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Diet Coke w/ Lemon and Crown Royal. Tastes uncannily like Trix cereal.

6. c5367

c5367 Esq.

One of my personal favorites that I picked up in Naples.

Get a double shot of espresso and add a shot of Amaretto. Even better for an all-nighter than Red Bull and Vodka. More caffiene and a little weaker, so less risk of gettin pukey drunk.

7. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

I like vodka,red bull with a touch of pineapple juice! Makes the evening interesting!

8. SkaOG

SkaOG

Southern Hurrincane

Fill a big glass with Ice.
    Fill about half of the glass with Southern Comfort
    Fill the rest of the glass with Sprite
    Then Add a bit of Grenadine