close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MLB bans firearms in the clubhouse

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by REA9mm, Feb 21, 2010.

1. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

This isn't the full story, but just the one here in the local paper that relates to the Cardinals. Seems like the wanna be thugs in the NFL/NBA have screwed it up for responsible gun owners in the MLB.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...7EC6C2AFFF8EA6F3862576D1004ABB70?OpenDocument

Franklin chides MLB policy on guns
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH​
    02/21/2010

JUPITER, Fla. -- Closer Ryan Franklin is among the large number of avid outdoorsmen on the Cardinals roster and on Saturday expressed disappointment in Major League Baseball's recent directive prohibiting certain weapons, including all firearms, from the clubhouse.

Clubs distributed the ban to players earlier this week. [​IMG]

"If you grew up around it, being in the outdoors and stuff, I was taught as a young kid how to respect firearms," Franklin said following Saturday's workout. "First of all, you don't get stupid with it. Always treat a gun like it's loaded. That's what I taught my son and daughters. There's a place for them."

MLB's edict is in apparent response to the arrest and conviction of New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress for carrying a loaded gun into a New York City nightclub and, more recently, the brandishing of guns by Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton during an apparent gambling dispute.

"There are a few guys that screwed it up for everybody," Franklin said. "If it wasn't for the NFL guy a couple years ago bringing a weapon into a nightclub ... you've just got to be smart."

Bow hunting has long been popular with a large percentage of the players. Former closer Jason Isringhausen set up a target at the stadium and first baseman Albert Pujols is among those who have embraced the hobby.

Players occasionally have brought unloaded long guns into the clubhouse. Franklin was born in rural Arkansas and now owns a 500-acre ranch in Oklahoma where he enjoys hunting and fishing. ​