Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· FF/Paramedic
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a chance to buy a Ruger MkII goverment model. It is between 93-98% and comes with all factory materials incuding the original test target. What does the gt brain trust think it to be worth? Thanks!!

· FF/Paramedic
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill! Asking price is $500. It does have a trigger job from a reputable smith (The current owner).

Is the Gov't model considered a collector? I am in the market for a nice MKII and it will be a shooter. If the Gov't is a collector or more valuable piece, I will probably pass on it simply because I don't want to mess up the nostalgic value. I know it is set up to accommodate lower weight ammo and is laser bored, are there any other differences compared to a standard MKII target?

· ...2 of 'em
1,280 Posts
I would not call it a collector piece, but I am sure some would argue with me. if it has never been shot, keep it that way and the collector value goes up. However, if it's less than 100% and is a shooter, then consider that.

I gave 375 for my stainless Gov't 10 inch bbl MkII, no box or paperwork, about a year ago, and it's 98 percent. And in my opinion, that's a steal, especially for a 10 incher.

Good luck!

· Registered
397 Posts
I paid $300 for a 6-7/8 Govt model with one mag and no box or target about three weeks ago, at least 90 percent. I was happy to get that, having seen the market at the show was running that or higher for Mk3s with pencil bbls, and that's what I've seen on other boards as well. I almost bought a Mk1 for 275 before a buddy pointed this out to me.

I also have a Mk 2 I bought in about 1990 for $125...those were the days.

· FF/Paramedic
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, do y'all think $500 is good or a little high for a ~95% MKII Gov't with all original materials?

· Registered
533 Posts
So, do y'all think $500 is good or a little high for a ~95% MKII Gov't with all original materials?
Blued or Stainless?

It's high for a blued - and about the current high for Stainless if it has the original box & target (less if the answer is no to box, etc)

I have a stainless Gov't model that is one of my favorite range guns - I did a Volquartsen trigger/sear kit to it, and it is almost too much fun. :supergrin:

But to the question about it being collectable... yes & no, they are no longer made, so people will want them. All MKII's have gone up over the last few years - people like me keep buying them (I think I have 7 now). The Gov't model wasn't made in the numbers of the more popular variants - so they do carry a premium in today's market.

Take care,
Bob S.

· FF/Paramedic
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Messer, I appreciate your response. I am still new to the MK series. I was under the impression that all of the MKII's marked "Government" were blued. Is this not true? This gun is in very good condition with all originally included materials.

On a side note, The guy I would be buying it from said he has 2. He only bought this one for one reason. Apparently he was at a gun shop and another young guy was looking at this particular MKII Gov't. The guy looking at it said he was going to strip it down, duracoat it OD green and pretty much destroy its nostalgic value. Essentially, he bought it out from under the other guy to save it from such a fate.

· Registered
533 Posts
Messer, I appreciate your response. I am still new to the MK series. I was under the impression that all of the MKII's marked "Government" were blued. Is this not true? This gun is in very god condition with all originally included materials.
They were made in both blued (more common to find) and Stainless Steel (less common).

I still think he is high - there is one going for $600.00 on gunbroker right now, but that one is "New, Unfired" - another one that shows some use is at $399.00

They are great guns - but only you can answer what it's worth to you. It would not be worth $500.00 to me.

Take care,
Bob S.

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,207 Posts
Messer, I appreciate your response. I am still new to the MK series. I was under the impression that all of the MKII's marked "Government" were blued. Is this not true? This gun is in very good condition with all originally included materials.

On a side note, The guy I would be buying it from said he has 2. He only bought this one for one reason. Apparently he was at a gun shop and another young guy was looking at this particular MKII Gov't. The guy looking at it said he was going to strip it down, duracoat it OD green and pretty much destroy its nostalgic value. Essentially, he bought it out from under the other guy to save it from such a fate.
Interesting enough, I would love to find a heavy barreled MKII that has been carried in a tool box for 10+ years collecting scratches and dings so I can cut it down, thread the barrel for a suppressor. I would then probably have it refinished in something fairly robust.

To each his own I guess.

I would say the price is high.

· Registered
78 Posts
I collect Ruger Mark II's specifically and they are amazing guns. They are robust, well built, accurate, and the cadillac of .22LR target pistols.

I have 8 Government Target Models - two are blued and six are stainless. A blued Gov't Tgt Model (catalog # MK678G) in excellent condition, with box, papers, mags, and anything else you would find with a new Ruger Mark II will bring ~$400. It drops off from there with any wear, missing box, etc.

Towards the end of the Ruger Mark II production (2005), Ruger began drilling & tapping most models, a feature which is found on all of the Ruger Mark III's, I believe.

Factory drill & tap can be confirmed by the serial number which is going to be either a 225- or 226- prefix. ALL "Competition Target Models" (K/MK678GC) models with slabside bull barrels, are factory drilled & tapped. I know only 400 stainless Government Target models made it out of the factory d&t'd and I have one - these are estimated at $600-750.

You fellas feel free to ask any questions about these guns or head on over to rimfirecentral.com

- jb -

· Registered
78 Posts
Interesting enough, I would love to find a heavy barreled MKII that has been carried in a tool box for 10+ years collecting scratches and dings so I can cut it down, thread the barrel for a suppressor. I would then probably have it refinished in something fairly robust.

To each his own I guess.

They are certainly wonderful suppressor platforms, too

· Registered
3,347 Posts
Ditto.
$350 w/factory accessories last month in a local pawn shop.
Great condition. Either the dealer didn't know what the going rate was or didn't care. I passed.

I have a non-government stamped MK II. As for one being more accurate than another; that's subjective.

In 35+ years of shooting, I've yet to meet any human being who is more accurate than his/her firearm.

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,207 Posts
I have a non-government stamped MK II. As for one being more accurate than another; that's subjective.

In 35+ years of shooting, I've yet to meet any human being who is more accurate than his/her firearm.
It is not a matter of being about to out shoot a gun it is a matter of finding the most accurate gun for you so you can creating a larger margin for error.

· Registered
533 Posts

To each his own I guess.

This is kinda what I'm doing right now - I have a nice 6" standard model MK-II that I use for training new shooters (it's lighter than my bull barrel models). I was just able to find a nice 5.5" bull barrel "upper" someone had in their safe for $95.00.

So after a little gun smith work, I'll have a gun I can switch back & forth between light trainer & suppressed target. :supergrin:

Take care,
Bob S.

· Registered
2,489 Posts
A Gov't Target Model (bull-barrel, 6 7/8", and marked "Government Target Model"), seems to bring more than other Mark-II's these days. I own both blued and stainless versions of these and has been mentioned above, the stainless Government Model is not an every day find. Blued versions are a bit more common but still not as readily available as a 512 (5.5").

I came across a 6 7/8" bull-barreled, blued Mark-II several weeks ago that was not Gov't marked and it was $350 (blue, no box, one mag, 90% or so). Had it been Gov't marked, I'd have bought it even though I have a few already, they just aren't getting any more common and I like 'em!

I came across a stainless, Gov't 6 7/8", mint condition Mark-II about a month ago for $500 with box, papers, two mags. It's now part of my Mark-II stash. $500 is a bunch of money, but that's what they will bring now if put on the open market.

They aren't making them anymore, and Mark-II's have a devoted following so the prices likely won't be falling any time soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.