close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mitt Romney may have blown the election

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Tongo

Tongo

Hey, I'm paying in to SS and Medicare and I am 99.99% certain that I will never see a dime of that back in any way, shape, or form. Welcome to my world.

2. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

And where do you think that money is coming from?

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You realize the "47%" referred to people who were going to vote Obama, no matter what, and who were doing so mainly because they live off of government handouts, right?

You're saying that you are one of those people? Because those people are POS's and worth a lot less to most of us than they are to Romney.

Or did some liberal tell you he talked about the bottom 47% economically, and you failed to check and see if you were being lied to? (not to mention, if you work, you probably aren't part of that 47% either).

Another interesting thing I found while searching for the exact Romney quote is that the Obama team has already made a campaign commercial out of it, where they take it out of context (talking about the need to convince people to vote for him) and try to imply that he means he doesn't care about what happens to that 47% as a potential president. I guess they are so routinely dishonest, that's probably the truth, by an Obama/Dem standard.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. Averageman

Averageman

On the way home tonight I heard that Mitt Romney had given 4 million in donations to charity.
    $4,000,000 in one year.

Joe Biden less than $4000,.......ughhhhh yeah;,,,,,thats ummmmmm $4K over ten years. Like a One hundred and one cents a day folks.
    They dont help the poor because they are so generous with their own money, why be generous with my tax dollars?

because it buys votes!

5. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

Mitt Romney described the 47% in 3 distinct groups:

Those who pay no federal income tax? Yep. That's me. I'm part of the vast majority who have below average earnings; one of the 9 out of 10 who earn less than $50K

People who get federal benefits? Yep. That's me, too. I believe I am entitled to health care and 'you name it'. I've been contributing to health care and 'you name it' for 30+ years.

Likely Obama Voters? Three for 3. Like me, there are many other Obama supporters who may have supported BHO in '08 but may think he's not the man for the job in '12. Well, Mitt Romney proved he's not interested in them either.

47% is a lot of people, about 30 million voters. A small percentage of them receive food stamps (about 16%). An even smaller number of them (about 2%) are actual fraud or abuse.

Mitt Romney choose to denegrate 29.4 Million people for the actions of 600 thousand.

6. billn

billn

You pay into SS and if you life long enough you get your $ back in the form of a retirement. It is not a ponzi scheme where the $ are gone. It is also disability insurance is you become disable you can draw. If you die your kids and wife might quality for SS benefits so they will not starve to death.

7. Goaltender66

No, he said that people who are either trapped in a culture of entitlement or who buy into it aren't going to respond to a message of lower taxes, less government, more freedom, and more personal responsibility.

And I'd suggest you are proving him correct.

8. Averageman

Averageman

Those who pay no federal income tax? Yep. That's me. I'm part of the vast majority who have below average earnings; one of the 9 out of 10 who earn less than $50K

People who get federal benefits? Yep. That's me, too. I believe I am entitled to health care and 'you name it'. I've been contributing to health care and 'you name it' for 30+ years.

Likely Obama Voters? Three for 3. Like me, there are many other Obama supporters who may have supported BHO in '08 but may think he's not the man for the job in '12. Well, Mitt Romney proved he's not interested in them either.

And let me understand this,...you are proud of the three above facts about yourself?

9. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

Huh ?? You must of had your speakers on mute for the first 60 seconds of his comments.

10. Goaltender66

No, I heard him just fine. Thing is, I heard what he said, not what I wanted him to say.

11. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

He didn't describe three distinct groups, as you claim. He described ONE group, people who will vote for Obama 'no matter what', and he then went on to describe WHY that single group will be voting for him (that they pay no taxes, feel entitled, etc.)

That's a critical distinction, and one that you have either overlooked or are deliberately trying to misconstrue.

There are a great many people who pay no federal taxes who will be voting for Romney in November precisely because they DON'T feel entitled and AREN'T looking for hand-outs. These include many retirees who don't want to see their fixed incomed diluted into worthlessness by Obama's QE3 "turn on the printing press" policies regarding the national debt and others who see that rampant spending, coupled with no budget being passed for four straight years is a recipe for disaster.

If you are going to try to describe Romney's statement, please do so accurately.

12. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

Could it be selective hearing? Mitt Romeny was very specific about his number '47'. That isn't just some 'off the cuff' number. 30, 45 is off the cuff. 47 is very specific. If Mitt were referring to those 'who are either trapped in a culture of entitlement or who buy into it', that number is much, much less. Like 2 percent.

Audience member: "For the last three years, all everybody's been told is, "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." How are you going to do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you've got to take care of yourself?"

Romney: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49, 48—he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people—I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not, what it looks like."

13. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Romney is stating that 47% of America is going to vote for Obama no matter what (a fact that all pollsters agree on) and that he needs to convince the 5-10% in the middle that he's the better candidate.

This surprises you how?

:dunno:

14. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

This would almost make sense if he didn't finish out his remarks with, "What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents"

15. Averageman

Averageman

Audience member: "For the last three years, all everybody's been told is, "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." How are you going to do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you've got to take care of yourself?"

Romney: "There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49, 48—he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people—I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not, what it looks like."

Sounds to me like he got it right, so whats your issue? He wants Americans to raise themselves up and become independant and an asset to the country they live in.
    As someone who stated three sad facts about themselves earlier and stated them in such a manner that he seemed proud of those sad facts, well; I can see why you would find Romneys statement offensive.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Hmmmmm......sounds like you need a lot of help from others. Obama is definitely the man for you.

17. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

It doesn't surprise me at all. What surprises me is the number of people who think Mitt ISN'T referring to them when he talks about the people he doesn't care about.

18. Averageman

Averageman

He doesn't care for them or he doesn't care to fight for their votes?
    Once again the Man gave $4,000,000 to charity last year.

19. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Romney said he doesn't care about them? Where?

He says he doesn't need to worry about them from an election point of view because they won't vote for him no matter what, but nowhere does he state or in any way imply that he doesn't care about them.

Your statement above is a figment constructed out of thin air.

BTW - As pointed out above, Romney gave 4 million dollars of his own money to those less fortunate than himself just last year ALONE. Over the past decade, Romney has given, on average, over 13% of his earnings to private charities.

How much did Obama give them from his own personal accounts? What percentage of Obama's private income does he give to charity, or does he feel that merely giving away OTHER PEOPLE'S money is what it's all about?

20. Trew2Life

Trew2Life #intheflesh

That's very charitable. Show me the paper work. As a mormon, he's obligated to pay at least 10% of his income in tithes (a.k.a., charitable deductions)