close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Miter Saw recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TexanRon, Dec 4, 2012.

1. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Getting ready to do a house project, and I am going to need a miter saw. I am leaning toward a 15 amp motor, 12inch blade, but would go 10", single bevel, and sliding. Any recommendations on brands? Would like to stay under $250.

2. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

Without looking it up, under $250 is going to limit you. For that, look at what the Home Depot brand Ridgid has to offer. At least you also have the no questions asked HD returns to deal with(for the most part).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

3. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

For what you've described, I'd suggest the DeWalt, as there aren't many other options with a 12 inch blade. If you determine that you can get by with a 10 inch blade, I like the Hitachi - mine's about 15 years old and works great, providing excellent precision and repeatability. A Delta 36-220 in good shape would be another one to consider in your price range.

I'd avoid the harbor freight/central grade of saws due to questionable performance and lack of product support.

4. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

5. 19crew

19crew

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Do you really need a slider? The 12" DeWalt will cut up to a 2 X 10" HH

7. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

For home use get the Ryobi. For Pro use get Rigid.

I might be biased though since my brother is designing the next Ryobi that will be on the market soon.

8. ranger1968

ranger1968

I'll be the odd man out;

I picked up one of these : http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-sliding-compound-miter-saw-98199.html a couple of years ago; so far, it has built 3 large decks, 2 sheds, and bunch of other stuff; It's currently cutting all of the wood for a cabin that we are building , running off of a 900 watt generator; It has taken everything I have thrown at it, and it refuses to die.....

9. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

Go to Lowes and loot at a Kobalt. I got one with a slider, laser indicator, miter and bevel capability got $200.

10. Csv

Csv

For under 250 I would check Lowes for the Hitachi 12 non sliding dual bevel, sometimes on sale for 199. I have it and cuts well, don't use it much since I mainly use my Hitachi 8 1/2" or Dewalt 780 12" SCMS

11. possumkiller

possumkiller

We have quite a few in the plant, of several different brands. The Hitachis hold up the best, followed by the DeWalts. The Deltas that we have are the lower end 10" saws and they are junk.

12. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I'm a trim carpenter. Have a Dewalt 12" chop saw and had for over a decade.
    10" will not cut crown mold. Light weight and easy to carry. I use $80 blades.

13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I love my Porter-Cable. Don't scrimp on the blades. The worlds best saw with a crap blade is a crap saw.

14. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

+1. I am a big believer in this!

15. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Folks,
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate the feedback and advice.
    SCWINE, actually I have looked at that DeWalt several times at HD, and that will probably be the one. Thanks.

16. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

UPDATE:
    Was just down at HomeDepot looking them over again. Friend of mine wanders by and informs me that he has top of the line Craftsman saw, that he used once, that I can borrow for as long as I need for payment of a 6-pak. Done. What a deal.

17. Cobra6

Cobra6

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  18. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

It will cut crown but you have to lay it flat instead of bedding it on the fence. I hate cutting it flat, so I always get the 12" saws.

Another vote for DeWalt or Rigid. The Hitachi's don't hold zero as well and the Ryobi's are good for occasional use only.

19. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

I have a 10 year old DeWalt that works fine for what I use it for. As others have said get a good blade. I have used both Freud and Forrest, been pleased with both. The last blade was bought at www.rockler.com I have always gotten good customer service from them.

20. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I have an older Dewalt as well and its done most of the molding in my house as well as the chicken house I built last summer.

The key, as several have mentioned is buy an expensive blade.

Also, Rigid electrical tool warranty ain't that great. I had one of their drills that never worked worth a crap. Took it to a repair center (because the fix them before they replace them) and the guy told me that the batteries that came with that model had design problems but weren't covered under warranty but he could sell me the new redesigned batteries that seemed to work...yippee..two new batteries to replace the ones that never worked cost more than a new Dewalt drill with two lithium ion batteries and a new charger!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012