Misunderstood pitbulls again..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gypsytraveller, Jun 7, 2014.

1. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

I'm not looking to change anyone's mind but I am positive that my Pit Bull would change many haters minds. The only part of her that will hurt you is her tail, from wagging. There's not a mean bone in her body. Her 12lb Boston Terrier sister will attest to that. It's too bad the media has vilified the breed.

2. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

You think a human has never attacked with a gun, unprovoked and without warning? And you wonder why gun control advocates get a voice?? :upeyes::faint:

3. dryfly

dryfly

Arty.....
    I hear you man .... I ask have you ever been "paused" or "afraid" of your dog ?

4. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

A gun has never attacked anyone, that is for sure.

5. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

You sound like a gun control advocate. It's sad you don't see that.

6. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

The one and only instance I ever had with any of my 6 Pitbulls I've had. My girlfriend's friend came over and was standing in the kitchen and my pit walked past her excited as all get out and whipped her across the back of the leg with her tail. It left an instant welt and she said she had a deep bruise for a good couple of weeks. :faint: :supergrin: Ummm...sorry. :embarassed:

7. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

Never. We rescued her and from day 1 she's been a sweetheart. The 1st year of her life was hell, because of a human. She loves people- especially kids. We are lucky to have her.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  8. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Yes, but an AR15 in the wrong hands is exponentially more dangerous than any other gun. They're DESIGNED to kill. Obviously they're bad to have around.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. A dog has a mind of its own, yes, but so what? Any dog can be dangerous. I think if I needed opinion on aggression and safety of different breeds, I'd consult a veterinarian.

9. Sharkey

Sharkey

What's wrong with "pitties"? I guess if we are getting technical, both of mine have been American Stratfordshire Terriers.

As I said, they were nanny dogs for decades and someone mentioned Petey from the Lil' Rascals. Presidents have owned them, Hollywood types have owned them, I believe all of Vick's dog were adopted out but one. Cesar Milan owns them and uses them to train other problem dogs. The Pit Bull and Paroles show gives a decent insight into some of the things the dogs are forced to go thru and then get adopted out.

They have tremendous heart, are pretty smart, and extremely loyal. What's not to like about them?

I have Pittie Pride and will be a staunch defender of the breed for as long as I can. If you support BSL, you might want to support it across the board and apply it to humans too. Who you going to lock up first?

10. Sharkey

Sharkey

Since we are telling jokes, did you hear about the chihuahua that killed the pittie?

The pittie choked on it. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  11. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

No. I stated a fact. Guns don't attack/kill people. Lest you think gun control advocates argue based on fact? Surely that's not the point you were making.

12. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

The deadliest dogs

A review of 82 dog bite cases at a level 1 trauma center where the breed of dog was identified concludes that attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Bini, John K. MD; Cohn, Stephen M. MD; Acosta, Shirley M. RN, BSN; McFarland, Marilyn J. RN, MS; Muir, Mark T. MD; Michalek, Joel E. PhD; for the TRISAT Clinical Trials Group, Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs, Annals of Surgery (April 2011, Vol. 253, Issue 4, pp. 791–797).
    Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening. According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
    If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

Clifton says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

13. DaverZ

DaverZ

I agree lol that tail is a weapon

14. DaverZ

DaverZ

ours love to sleep with my granddaughter who is 7 and very gentle with my grandson who is almost 3

15. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Sure they have. And they also use inanimate objects like knives sometimes- and by doing so they subject themselves to life in the penitentiary or the death penalty. There are penalties for attacking and killing people no matter what instrument is used.

All I know is this--- kids, the elderly, and all the rest of humanity should not be at the mercy of an attacking dog that can be controlled by NO ONE, including its owner.

Why is this concept so hard to grasp?

This does not have a thing to do with gun control and anyone who tries to make that analogy has their head firmly buried in the sand.

16. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

It just doesn't come across to me like a word a grown man should be using.

17. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

As I stated in the beginning, I'm not going to try and change anyone's mind. In fact, I'd rather pound my nuts flat with a hammer than try to debate this on an internet forum.

That said, anyone who has ever met my Pit Bull, even those who had misconceptions about the breed, have remarked at how gentle and friendly she is. She's also not dog aggressive. When I walk her, many dogs bark and show aggression towards her and she ignores them. Is she strong? Of course, they are a strong breed. So what. So are a long list of other dogs.

Here's why I relate this debate to gun control. People with little to no experience with the dog, or guns, believe the statistics they hear and want to impose their beliefs on others. Sure, a gun is an inanimate object but there are plenty of people who believe that those who own guns are nuts, violent, and predisposed to violence and they have their "statistics" to back them up. So if we remove that inanimate object, they can't cause harm to others. That's a ridiculous argument.

By the way, this is America. Don't tell me what dog I can or cannot have.

18. Cruiser1

Cruiser1 Still Alive

The child I mentioned in my last post died last night.

19. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Im glad you have a nice dog. By the way you talk, Im sure if she ever did hurt anyone you would man up and take responsibility.

No offense to you or anyone else, but a few things that bother me about this whole debate is:
    1) many people fail to acknowledge that humans have rights that animals dont. Like it or not, human rights trump those of animals every time. Animals are not mentioned in the declaration of independence or constitution.
    2) while I can say with total confidence that my gun won't shoot anyone today, a dog owner (of any breed) cannot truly and honestly say and guarantee his dog won't attack today.

But i do acknowledge it is America and you have the right to own any dog you want. I also believe the owners are responsible for those dogs and if they hurt people, the owners should be held fully accountable. And I have the right to defend myself and family against dog attacks as long as I am on property where I have a legal right to be. If I trespass on your property and your dog attacks me, then that is on me.

20. carloglock19

carloglock19

I've had my share of bad luck when it comes to dogs. When I was around 8 years old I was bit by a GSD around my arm and chest area, still see the scars everyday, also when I was 14 years old I was bit in the leg by a Pit while riding my bike. Do I blame the dogs, No I blame the owners. I owned a few dogs and my favorite one was my Rottie. With that being said these dogs are powerful and can cause a lot of damage, irresponsible owners are mostly to blame.