Missouri couple’s gun rights defended in letter to AG Barr from 12 GOP lawmakers

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by snerd, Jul 12, 2020.

1. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

Rights threatened 'by mob rule'

In their letter to Barr, dated Friday, the dozen Republican lawmakers claimed that any charges filed against the couple would have “a chilling effect” on an American populace whose rights to bear arms are guaranteed in the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

“At this crucial time in history, our nation needs the Department of Justice to exert strong leadership to ensure that none of our constitutional protections are eroded by mob rule,” the lawmakers wrote in part to Barr.

“Charges against this couple will have a chilling effect on the entire nation, sending the message that American citizens no longer have the right to protect themselves at their own homes.”​

Signing the letter were U.S. Reps. Louis Gohmert of Texas; Mo Brooks of Alabama; Greg Steube of Florida; Brian Babin of Texas; Paul Gosar of Arizona; Alex Mooney of West Virginia; Andy Harris of Maryland; Ted Budd of North Carolina; Steve King of Iowa; Steve Watkins of Kansas; Jody Hice of Georgia; and Scott Perry of Pennsylvania......

https://www.foxnews.com/us/missouri...ed-in-letter-to-ag-barr-from-12-gop-lawmakers

2. bfg1971

bfg1971

it's a simple concept, why didn't the rest of Congress sign the letter?

3. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

Of course charging those two will have a chilling effect. Isn't that the point? And what purpose does writing to Barr about this serve? Sick of useless posturing.

ExecutiveWill, narkcop128 and NoJoy like this.
  4. Intolerant

Intolerant

And Barr will use the letter for toilet paper. Barr wants more gun laws. He is in bed with the ATF.

Caver 60 and EOS like this.
  5. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

What should barr do? Should the feds intervene in a local case?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  6. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

The republicans that didn’t sign should be voted out.

narkcop128, Pythonman and Bus007 like this.
  7. EOS

EOS National Capitalist

Barr is a joke. He admitted the Trump campaign was spied on illegally. He also pretty much admitted he’s not going to do jack **** about it.

8. Intolerant

Intolerant

I lost all respect for the guy after he had a meeting with ATF to draft some new gun laws. I`m stilled pissed at trump for appointing a anti-gun a-hole to run the ATF. Suit`s, god damn the suit`s!

9. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  10. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

Dude, WTF do you not understand that this was a gated community and that was not a public sidewalk. You just don't get to break locks on gates and stroll in with violence/distruction in your heart and do as you please.

Brandishing or not, the sincere "protestors", were the aggressors, not the McCloskeys. It's no different in demanding 1st amendment rights, in a private business.

Besides, this is a gun forum and while I didn't agree with their plan, they obviously were concerned about their safety from a mob that were threatening to kill them and their dog. What is not to be understood about the ramifications of this partisan DA pressing charges, no only against these folks but rather ALL American citizen! The thought of this, sends shock waves down my spine with anger at the threat of our 2nd A rights to defend ourselves, as it should everyone of us here!

This will not go well for peace.

If you don't understand this, you don't belong here.

11. pgg00

pgg00

Exactly. Upholding the constitution and the bill of rights is supposed to be part of the oath the swore. All have failed miserably

12. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

The idea of “brandishing” is BS. Because if he was suspected of that charge, he would’ve been charged by now. He did not do anything illegal, and now we have a lefty liberal prosecutor looking weak in front of her flock of Soros Sheep and doesn’t know what to do. Besides looking weak, impotent, and stupid.

I’d love to see what was written on that warrant when they cam to size his rifle. Furthermore if he was deemed or suspect to be a threat to himself or others, they would’ve taken all the families firearms... not just his one rifle. Justice delayed, is not justice. The prosecutor doesn’t know what to do, so she just wants to drag this issue out. Enough already the mob shouldn’t have been there on private property and they had weapons drawn as well. Force met with equal force. Big nothingburger.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Cool it Doc. Not everyone is following news stories, or looking beyond main stream media.
    The MSM still uses “peaceful protesters on a public street”. Correct false info. Don’t attack those who repeat what the msm has told them.

14. CombatArmsUSAF

CombatArmsUSAF

Either way they were on their own property, I'll carry whatever gun I want around on my own property. Inside or outside.....now actually pointing at the crowd like his wife did....not the greatest gun handling and borderline illegal.

I felt he handled the AR-15 okay and the only reason they took that one is because it's a big scary AR-15.

It was obvious that neither one of them felt confident holding the guns they were holding. They need to practice more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

15. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    Only 12.....................:crying:

No support from neighbors................not too surprising.
    But let them park a junk car on the street and the home owners association would have been on it.

16. thewitt

thewitt

They were threatened - we will kill you, kill your dog, live in your home, slammed home a loaded magazine in a pistol - so even if the sidewalk was public - which is wasn't - it would STILL not be brandishing under MO law.

MO law specifically EXCLUDES brandishing if you feel your life is threatened.

Bus007 likes this.
  17. nerr

nerr

Why not investigate if any terrorist threats were made by mob (as couple asserted)? Why not see if any of the mob possessed displayed firearms illegally? Why not investigate mob for any hate speech directed at the couple?

Precedent for all of the above is there.

Bus007 likes this.