close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Missoula, MT 2012 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jul 7, 2012.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories and photos here.:wavey:

2. MTglk43

MTglk43 MTglk43

It was a great day in Missoula MT...yep, it got a little warm.

We had a bit of a back up at the plate rack......a bit of confusion. The good news is that we will have a second plate rack for next year and things will be smoother.

Thank you to all that came today and seeing dear friends is fantasttic..........we're looking forward to seeing more dear friends on Sunday.

If ya know Jean Smith.......congratulate her on her tv interview.........thank you Jean....you were great.

Miner

3. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

Was on a boat on flathead lake with my uncle today. Will shoot tomortow.

4. SARDG

SARDG

Catch any snails out there, S. Kargoh?? :supergrin:

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Ken S. posted some photos on Facebook of the match. I've wanted to shoot it since the first one, I think in '06 but have always been working. It's hard to schedule your layoffs to match the shooting schedule.

6. pochis

pochis

how do you find ken s photos on facebook?

7. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

No, but I caught too many sunrays and too many beers. Hard getting going this morning! I just arrived in missoula. Stomach and head are hurting.

8. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

[​IMG]

Beautiful, but I shot horribly.

Dry mouth, shaky hands. Dizzy. Dehydrated.

"squadding" absolutely does NOT work. Ididitthe"right way' this time. Took forever. And ev
    erytime i gott the next stage to x my name , i was very last as if I did notsign up at all.

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

IF the RO's are squadding correctly it works great. Come to Conyers and see how an experienced first class operation works. I have been shooting outdoor GSSF for 12 years shooting 12 to 15 matches per year and I can tell you from experience if done right it works, if not done right it's something I cannot say on this site.

Don

10. SARDG

SARDG

Now, let's analyze this...

Did:

a) no one sign in after you at those stages at all (in which case, squadding was working), or

b) several shooters sign in after you, but were taken before you because they were standing there in front of the Sign-in RO? (In this case, squadding is also working - over at the stages where ROs know how to implement it.)

The problem is NOT with squadding, it is with untrained ROs who don't know how to implement it.

As for Conyers - first class it is - but you will also find plenty of Sign-in ROs there who don't 'get it'. RO training and experience varies widely in the GSSF volunteer system.

ETA: I had a boss once who said that if you come to me with a problem, also come to me with a solution. One solution would be for you to RO at these matches.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

On plates, my sheets were on the clipboard thing in the "next" position. They were the last stage I shot. I had signed, but not x'd at 11:06 am. I got back to plates at 12 30ish?. There were about 5 people there loading mags but not immediately ready to shoot. Since my sheets were in the next line, i waited to see what would happen.

He called 2 shooters up. After they were done, I told him, that I had x'd my name and was here. He said, "weve been calling your name for a long time. I'll call you when these folks are done. "

Okay whatever.

The other stages I asked about the Xing and squadding. They said, "oh we dont do it like that, this way keepa everybody happy.". Again, I said, " whatever."

I honestly dont care. I have never had a problem just getting there, signing in, and staying until i am called. I just wanted to try the right way and see if it made more sense or was more efficient. It was not.

I would like to ro , but i dont feel like i understand the entire process well enough yet.

12. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

More highlights:

I forgot to shoot steel on the last M stage. Wtf. Impossible. I had dropped my mag when I heard the to's saying "steel, steel, steel,". It took me a second,but I realized it wasnt a baseball game, and they were talking to me. I still had one in the chamber, extended the fun with one hand and shot the steel. Haha. :(

Then i got a flat tire in my wifes car on the way back. I began to change it and the crappy jack crumpled and got trapped under the car. Luckily I did not get killed. I borrowed a ladies' jack and got it changed. I then waljed to a bank to get twenty bux for the lady who said she would be back in 15 minutes. Still waiting for her to come back for the Jack.

Worst day ever (but still fun!).

13. SARDG

SARDG

But do you understand that even IF you do understand squadding, and follow the rules, your expectations can never be met if the ROs "dont do it like that". IF Sign-in ROs - or any ROs - need training, and won't accept your suggestions, you can go find the GSSF Rangemaster to get it squared away. Not doing so simply perpetuates a bad and unworkable situation. You (we all) must begin putting properly trained ROs into the pipeline so that eventually the pipeline to GSSF matches is spitting them out all over the country.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  14. SARDG

SARDG

That hangover prolly doesn't help... :whistling:

15. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

The fact that so much bandwidth is expended on this forum over the squadding system not being correctly implemented is indicative of there being something wrong with the system. Yes, in theory it works, but we have far, far more examples of it not working than it being used correctly.

16. SARDG

SARDG

People would rather complain when something goes wrong. Sometimes when something goes right... it goes unnoticed.

Then again, maybe more people would complain if they actually knew themselves, how squadding was supposed to work. Some shooters may believe that poor (or lack of correct) procedure is the norm. Maybe it is... :crying:

17. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

I've shot a fair number of matches at different locations. I also shoot other leagues. The GSSF squadding is a prevalent issue and only continues to be more so as the sport grows.

18. PM720

PM720

The squadding procedure ABSOLUTELY works WHEN it is followed! NO squadding procedure well EVER work if it's NOT followed. :faint: Based on your post S.Kargoh YOU followed the correct procedure but the SO dropped the ball hence the reason for the issue. :phew:

Scott

19. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

Sure, the one time I don't make it to a match with S. Kargoh in attendance was the one chance I had to beat him!

Oh, well... I remember last year they really didn't follow the squadding in Montana, but it didn't seem to matter, there wasn't really much of a wait. I was able to walk up, they put my score sheets on the tree, and I shot a few minutes later.

20. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

There's probably only 80-100 entries at the Missoula match, but yesterday it seemed to take quite a while. A lot if waiting. In reality it probably wasnt thaf much, but it was 100* and i was "siick" .

:)

I really cant complain. {:)}