close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

missionary drop

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bill Powell, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

I saw part of a thing on one of the learning channels that I hadn't seen in years. It was a thing developed by a flying missionary in South America, I believe. He had to do air drops of needed supplies in jungle settlements, and had no runway or parachutes. He developed a vertical drop technique, using a long rope, and flying in a tight circle. He could set his cargo down in someone's front yard. If you hang a weight on the end of a long string, and rotate your hand, the weight will tend to stay still. He would spiral downward til the box touched the ground, and release the rope.

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I think I'd need to see a movie of this to understand it.

3. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

It's kind of like centrifugal force in reverse. swing the top of a long rope in a fairly tight circle, and a weight on the end of it tends to become the axis, or the very bottom of a cone. Years ago it was clear in my head. Now it just confuses me.

4. Timotheous46

Timotheous46

I understand that they would also use this method to trade items with new tribes in the jungle that they were trying to make contact with. They would have a small container at the end of the rope that the tribe members could place items for the missionary pilots to retrieve. The retrieval would be done by just dropping the rope and load at their base airport before landing.