close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Missing DVD drives?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Miss Maggie, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

I've been looking for a new computer and have found a small HP I like a lot. I don't know much about computers, but this one seems a good deal with a 500 gigabyte hard drive and 400 gigabytes of ram for just under $600. It has a nine hour battery life and is small enough to carry easily but larger than the netbooks. The case is stainless steel and the keyboard is comfortable for my hands.

My main concern is the lack of a dvd drive. I know people are buying them like that all time so there must be a simple solution, but I have no idea how to load programs I already have and do backups or even make the recovery discs that are usually no longer included without the dvd drive.

Do you have to buy an external dvd drive or is there another way? I hate having a bunch of disconnected stuff cluttering up everything and getting lost.

Thanks for any help.

Miss Maggie

2. ranger56528

ranger56528

HP e9220y is a nice home system for about 800.00(no monitor or speekers at that price)..thats what I just replaced my old descktop with and its great for what I do...

3. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

You aren't missing anything.. an external dvd drive is pretty much mandatory for the newer (slim/small) laptops. Things are moving more and more to USB flash drives but to watch movies and load software/programs, you're going to need an external.

4. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

You can get and the HP may come with a simple but external DVD/CD drive that connects using one or two of the computer's USB connections.

BTW - the computer has 4 gigs RAM.

What processor does it have? All the RAM and the best hard-drive ever will not speed up the machine if it uses the certain processors that yield long battery life.

5. Miss Maggie

Miss Maggie

I think the processor was an AMD. I know it was not a celeron for sure.

Does the long battery life slow down the computer when it's plugged to a power source or just when it's being used on battery power?

6. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I recently bought my first AMD powered machine last year. I used to be a Network Tech and had a horrible aversion to anything non-intel. I can honestly say that it performs just as well and is a god platform. I wouldnt worry too much about the DVD drive, as external USB drives are pretty cheap nowadays and are very convenient.

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

My new, it was free so I can't gripe too much, little HP Pavillion dv-2 has 4 gigs RAM, a 7,200 RPM 320 gig HD and the AMD athlon NEO 64 processor. I hate it and only use it for email and such.

A key to long battery life is the use of a low powered processor.

If it's this processor and you plan to use the computer for anything other than surfing, email and really light word docs etc. I'd recommend something offering less battery life but more performance.

ETA - sorry I missed your last point. Slow processors are slow regardless of battery or wall power. Although it's not quite that simple.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010