close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Miso Shiru

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Cali-Glock, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Growing up our family ate Japanese food quite often. One of my favorites (but not my absolute favorite) was Miso Shiru soup. So I made it a couple of weeks ago for my wife and a friend - they were both sceptical at first, but they were won over!

Miso Shiru

5 Cups Chicken broth
    1/2 Cup (white) Miso paste
    8 ounces (I used the whole package - which may have been 16oz) tofu cubed. (Drain it well first)
    several green onions sliced

1. Bring chicken broth to a boil.
    2. Add the miso paste and stir until miso is dissolved. (I put the miso in a bowl, and added about 1/2 cup boiling broth to the miso and pre-disolved it to some extent before dumping the mixture into the boiling chicken broth)
    3. Add the tofu pieces and cook an additional minute before serving.
    4. Garnish with green onion slices.

I served the Miso Shiru with fried spicy Yakisoba noodles. (I used one package - should have used at least 2 to serve the three of us, and a third would have been perfect so we could have had some left over Yakisoba noodles to go with the leftover Miso Shiru.

I just picked up a Japanese County cookbook, and can't wait to try some recipies!

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Sounds good. I love miso, too. Don't eat them as often as I would have liked because they are sodium bombs, but I enjoy them whenever I can.

3. chisler

chisler

Can you tell me if this is the brownish-clear soup you usually get at a Japanese restaurant? I have always thought what I was getting was called Miso soup, or at least a version of it. I know it had green onions in it, maybe a thin mushroom slice, and had a savory broth flavor. Good stuff. If it had tofu in it, I didn't realize it. The missus and I were wanting to make some, but wanted to verify the appropriate recipe. Thanks.

4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Yes, miso soup is what he's talking about...
    Shiru means white...
    There are a few different color misos...

Simmering some seaweed in the broth makes for an authentic tasting recipe...
    The starter broth for miso soup is usually Dashi...
    ...a kind of seaweedy broth...
    I use chicken broth too...
    Miso soup is good, good for you, and easy to make...

;c