close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Misfires w/Glock 27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BluesJunkie, Jun 30, 2003.

1. BluesJunkie

BluesJunkie

I have a Glock 27, and I keep having a problem with misfires (firing pin hits the primer but nothing happens). 95% of the time I use cheap ammo like, Wolf, UMC, or Winchester and have had misfires with each brand of ammo. However, the Winchester seems to be the worst with about 1 out of 10 misfiring, while the other brands misfire about 1 out of 25. (I had one particularly bad box of Winchesters that misfired almost half of the box of 50.)

I would think that the ammunition was causing all of my misfires except for the fact that I've never had a single misfire with any brand of ammo in my Para-Ordnance. Also, I've heard that because of the way the firing pin in a Glock hits, cheap ammo with improperly seated primers will misfire, but I don't know if that's true.

So do I have an ammo problem or is my Glock defective? Has anyone else had similar problems?

2. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

I don't use any Wolf products, but I have never had a firing problem in any of my Glocks with any of the other ammo listed or any ammo I can think of.

I would say it may be a problem with your pistol. Is your striker channel clean and dry? A little dirt may be messing with the striker.

3. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

I had similar chronic problems with A G27 once. Send yours back to Glock.

4. CyberGlock

CyberGlock

Never had a problem with my G27. But if something like that happen, I would do what both these guys said, make sure the channel is dry and if it still did it I would send it back to Glock.

5. BluesJunkie

BluesJunkie

I've kept it clean, so I don't think that's the problem. Can send it back to Glock even though I've had it for a couple of years?

I haven't shot it that much, though - probably around 400 or 500 rounds. The first few of boxes of shells I shot through it when I first got it were fine, and then it started the misfiring. I cleaned the gun and then didn't shoot it for nearly a year. In the past month, I've started shooting it again and cleaning after shooting. But, I'm still having misfires.

I have dry fired a few times to decock. Could I have damaged the gun doing that?

6. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

No. You have to dry fire it to disassemble it. Detail strip the slide and clean the striker channel, and if that doesn't fix it, send it to Glock.

Koski

7. Toyman

Toyman

It's probably the gun. I've shot 1000's of rounds of winchester through my G23 and never had a misfire.

8. Bob

Bob G23/C,G24/C,G33 Millennium Member

My guess would be as stated before the firing pin channel is dirty or the "Spacer Sleeve" may have broke, thus not allowing the striker to move freely. Did you put oil in any of the holes in the pic below?

.... :cool:

9. BluesJunkie

BluesJunkie

No. Should I?

10. Branspop

Branspop Daddy X2 CLM

No, those are the no oil areas.

11. wade farley

wade farley Sonic 357 sig

:cool: Sounds like the Gun. Get it checked out.;f

12. Andy

Andy Millennium Member

BluesJunkie,

Before sending it out to Glock I suggest the following causes and tests:

Obstructed striker
    - Field strip pistol. Depress striker safety button and shake slide forward and backward. Does striker move freely and rattle? Obstruction could be from fouling, brass flakes, plating from spring flaking off, broken plastic. Insert a Qtip thru striker channel to clean the back of the breechface. With a flashlight can you see the shiny metal of this wall?

Slide doesn't go into battery completely
    - Is the chamber clean? Remove barrel and drop a factory round (which should be within specs) into the chamber. Does it drop in freely and completely?

- Assemble pistol. Point pistol upward, retract the slide about 1/2 inch and slowly let the spring bring it back up. Fouling on barrel or slide near chamber/breechface or a weak spring will keep the slide from going back completely. If in doubt replace the recoil spring.

At your next range visit, pay attention to the primer indentations on both fired and misfired cases (before you attempt a 2nd time). Is the striker dimple well centered or off-center? Off-center indentations are symptomatic of the slide not going into battery completely.

If still in doubt send it to Glock. There is an unwritten "lifetime" warranty that you can always count on.

13. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

It sounds like too much lube/cleaner in the firing pin channel.