close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Misfire Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SCHunter, Dec 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SCHunter

SCHunter

I had a few misfires in my Glock 19. The firing pin did not strike the primer hard enough to ignite the ammo. I looked at other shells which were fired and they looked fine. A good cleaning of the gun helped but it happened again. It happened about four times with PMC ammo and once with Remington 115 grain FMJ. I have about 2000 rounds on the gun and just wondered if I need to replace the plunger spring or something else.

2. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Clean out the channel in the slide and replace the firing pin spring,

3. diamondmike

diamondmike

I personally do not think that only 2000 rounds would cause enough wear on a gun to where something would need to be replaced, especially on a Glock.
    But I supose it could happen.

I would first check the firing pin/plunger by holding in the little button on the bottom of the slide and shake the slide and you should be able to hear the firing pin/plunger slide back and forth in the slide and come through the breech face.

If you shake it and do not hear the firing pin/plunger sliding back and forth than you have oil, debris, or may need a new plastic sleeve.

If you hear the firing pin/plunger shaking back and forth in the slide than you may need to replace the spring.

4. SCHunter

SCHunter

Thanks for the input. I will work on it tomorrow night.

5. SCHunter

SCHunter

Where is the best place to buy Glock parts? Glockmeister, Wolf, any others?
    thanks...

6. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

7. SCHunter

SCHunter

Dirty chamber where the firing pin was the problem. I tend to over oil a gun and I can see what problems it causes.
    many thanks...
    Dan

8. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

You should be using only five small drops of oil for the total lube job. There should be no oil at all in the slide's internals.

9. diamondmike

diamondmike

Not only oil in the striker channel can cause misfires but if water gets into the channel it is possible that it could also cause misfires by creating a hydraulic effect, but would be fine after it dryed up.

If a LEO was out in a down pour of rain and water got into the striker channel it could lead to temporary gun failure.

I mean this is just my theory but anyone else see my point?

10. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Nah.

11. SCHunter

SCHunter

I thought I was using a minimal amount of oil, however, the oil breaks down from heat and ends up everywhere in the slide. I went back to using some grease on the rails (very little) that I got from Wilson Combat and that seems to work better.

12. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

Glock actually makes spring cups for the striker spring that are fluted to allow water to move back and forth in the striker channel so maybe they think the possibiltiy of a problem exists. However I have fired a lot of Glocks completely under water and have never had a problem.

13. SCHunter

SCHunter

If a match barrel is not properly fitted in the gun, but the gun is still functional and cycles ammo properly, will that cause any damage to the frame, slide or any other parts? Or will it just impact accuracy?

14. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

That depends on where and how bad the misfit is...... There is the potential to cause damage to the barrel and/or the slide. The most likely spot would be to the upper locking lug which is cut into the muzzle end of the chamber. When the barrel is in battery, and you fire the gun, the slide pushes rearward on the barrel by pressing against this lug or ledge. If there is too much slop/play/clearance between the lug and the slide, especially if the gun also has too much clearance where the barrel hood fits into the cutout in the slide, you could roll that lug or the slide. You would likely damage the barrel before the slide on a Glock, but it is possible to damage either or both.

15. SCHunter

SCHunter

Thanks for the input. With my factory barrel, I had to adjust the rear sight to the right. After I put the Bar-Sto barrel in, the rear sight had to be adjusted dead center on the slide. I assume that must be the result of a tighter fit of the Bar-Sto barrel.

16. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

What you are decribing is the difference in the alginment of the hood extension being centered with the bore of the barrel. Some/most barrel manufacturers use a method of manufacturing that the orginial machining is done on the outside of the blank so that they can create a referrence point for fixturing the barrel during the rest of the machining process. This is usually a much easier way of doing things but it does not ensure that the outside deminsions of the barrel will be exactly parallel to the bore axis of the barrel.

The right way to do it, such as Bar Sto does it, is to gun drill the blank first and then fixture the barrel from the bore for all the following machining steps. This ensures that any given referrence point on the finished barrel will be exactly (within machining tolerances) parallal to the bore.

The difference in rear sight positioning that you mentioned is the result of the Bar Sto barrel's hood extension that fits into the slide recess being more closely centered to the bore. The Glock barrel, which is not machined off the bore, had a hood extension that was not centered to the bore axis, and it required a sight adjustment to compensate for the barrel being out of parallal with the slide centerline. This is fairly common on Glocks as well as a lot of other manfacturers.

Some manufacturers, such as Springfield Armory, in the past had problems with cutting the barrel hood recess off center in the slide n their 1911's. This used to cause a lot of problems that could only be solved by making a barrel with a lot of extra material on the hood extension, and then hand fitting it to the slide after carefully miking it to determine the slide centerline. Of course S/A used to also have problems keeping the center to center distances to spec for the hammer and sear pins on 1911's which made it really tough to do trigger jobs. To my knowledge, S/A fixed both of these problems years ago.

The point is that there are differences between mass produced guns and hand built guns that use the highest quality oversized parts that are carefully fitted. Advances in machining technology have closed this gap, but not eliminated it.

17. SCHunter

SCHunter

Thanks again for the input.