close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Miracle Ferret

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by nyredneck, Jan 25, 2006.

1. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

I have had a ferret named Mandy for about 5 years now. I got her off my Sisiter when she was no longer able to care for her. She's been a great little fuzzy, friendly, snuggly, even comes to her name! (most of the time!) Well this winter I noticed she was losing some hair. She's shed before so, at first, I thought no big deal. Then she started losing hair in copius ammounts and her vulva swelled to the size of a marble. I made an appt. with my vet already knowing what was up (I've had two other ferrets go to the rainbow brige because of insulimia.) The vet confirms my fears and gives me three options;

1. Surgery - It is costly ($1000.00 or more!) and it is dangerous. A small animal such as a ferret has a hard time with invasive surgery. So really this is not an option.

2. Drug treatment - Not a cure, it just helps retard the spread of the cancer. $100.00 a shot, one shot every month.

3. Euthanasia - This is the vet's suggestion. Mandy is getting older and surgery and drugs might prolong her life, but what about the quality of that life? Don't get the wrong idea, my Vet is very sympathetic (She sat with us and cried when we had to put Rosco , the ferret, down.) but there are certain realities that every pet owner has to face.

I opt to bring Mandy back home. She doesn't seem to suffering at all, she's still the same old playful Mandy, just slightly balder! When the time comes that she is suffering I will bring her back and do the right thing. The vet tells me this will be about 3 months or so, so cherish the time we have left. So the winter progresses and Manders is doing fine, better than fine GREAT!

Then, a couple of weeks ago I notice something strange about my little fuzzy, she's FUZZY! "What the..." I say as I pick her up. I look her over, and sure enough, she's growing her hair back! I look at her genitals and her vulva is back to normal size! Well as the weeks progressed she is fully furred again and it apears as if the cancer is in remision, this when 3 months ago she was given a 3 month sentence! She's my little miracle ferret!;f

2. Dogmeat00

Dogmeat00 Crazy Baby!

Glad to hear it! Ferrets sre great little creatures. i wish Mandy many more happy years.

3. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

My wife will be able to explain this better, but I'll give it a shot.

Last year our one ferret, Cleo started to loose the hair on her tail so we knew she had a problem. Took her to our vet and I think she was having an adrenal problem????? We opted for the surgery, however we got a call from our vet saying ater she went in, she couldn't solve the problem. So she closed her up and we took her home. Our vet said, and we knew ourselves, that her time was short.

Well wadda ya know. Cleo has grown all her hair back and its been over a year since the surgery. Our vet just shakes her head everytime we bring one of our other animals in for a checkup.

Cleo has recently developed some other health issues, but she's still chuggin' along.

4. sarge40

sarge40 Huge Member

Hey NYRedneck, did you bring her to the vet? If so, what did the vet say? FWIW, I hope that this is a permanent recovery, and that you get to spend many more years with your friend.

5. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Hi nyredneck,

This is Steve in PA's wife and first I would like to tell you how happy I am for you and your mandy :) As Steve mentioned it has been over a year now that our Cleo was diagnosised with adrenal which is what your Mandy has I am sure. Cleo's was so bad that there really was nothing for our vet to do other then close her up and hope for the best. I asked our vet about meds since I know that many owners choose to go the med route, but she suggested we save our money and just make her life as comfortable as possible since there are no known meds to cure the disease just meds that will keep them comfortable and/or ease the owners minds. Cleo was not in any pain and I did not want to be lulled into a false since of believing she was getting better just because the meds made her hair grow back. Well as mentioned it has been well over a yr. and Cleo has all her hair back, she eats reasonably well and plays when she feels up to it, but along with the adrenal she also has developed insulinoma which is like human diabetes and this is the problem we have to worry about and you might want to watch out for it as well. You should make sure that Mandy has plenty of protein and stay away from giving her foods with sugar in them. Make sure Mandy gets plenty to eat and has a good fluid intake and also you might want to look into a second opinion about her condition. If we can be of any help or you have any questions feel free to e-mail us. Also there is a great ferret discussion board you might be interested in checking out with lots of great people owned by ferrets where you can talk about your fuzzy and ask questions and share ideas. The website is

http://www.neeps.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Good luck to you and fuzzy kisses to Mandy :)

Diane (wife of Steve)

6. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Thanks for all your well wishes everyone!

Mandy is doing just fine, still fuzzy! AGD (adrenal gland disease) can go into remision, and ferrets sometimes do grow thier hair back, so Mandy set no precident. I've had 8 ferrets and have had to have 3 put down due to cancer (insulmia and AGD) I just thought the worst when Manders came down with all the symptoms, It really sucks having to make that descion for your pet. But all 5 of my fuzzies are in good health and spirits so everything is good! Thanks again for all your warm thoughts!;f