Minor's first shooting experience

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by deathpriest, Apr 8, 2010.

1. deathpriest

deathpriest

Greetings,

I want to bring my nephew (9) to the range for his first shootout this weekend.

Site
    Open Outdoor range
    Early Morning, trying to stay out of the crowd

In preparation he is watching NRA's Video of Eddie the Eagle and we are reading/learning the NRA's safety rules. We have a 22 rifle, S&W M&P 15-22 and a 22 pistol, Walther P22. Besides the eyes and ears protection...

What else should we do in preparation for that day?
    What to bring that day?
    What to do that day?
    What suggestions/advise for that first day?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Jon_R

Jon_R

What will the range be like? Public Outdoor range that will probably be very busy? You own private shooting area just you and him? etc.

Do the rifles fit him well enough he can see the sights? If they have adjustable stocks I am sure that will be ok.

Looks like you are only bring .22s but if there will be other shooters there you can not account for what they bring so you might want to bring plugs and muffs for him just in case.

If it is an outdoor range make sure you bring some cold drinks this time of year.

Those targets that change colors when you hit them might be good otherwise picking out .22 holes can be challenging depending on the distance.

If it will be a very busy range if you can bring one more adult that would be great. A brand new junior shooter on a busy line I like to have one adult on each shoulder so I know they can not turn. At 9 you should be fine. It also allows him to stay behind the line with an adult while you change targets.

My son started IDPA at 10 with a carbine and my daughter shoots USPSA, IDPA, and GSSF with a G17 at 14.

Enjoy it.

3. glockpacker

glockpacker 600 yd shooter CLM

It's good you're sticking with .22's.

I was at a two day shoot recently where there was a youngster. His dad put a single shot rifle in a stand on the bench so the boy couldn't move it around. The boy shot all the first day. The second day, his trigger finger was so tired he couldn't shoot. So he switched to left handed, and shot all day long.

4. FlaChef

FlaChef Steyroid

+1 for plugs and muffs. For Juniors you might even want to cut the plugs down if they do not fit well. Just cut them lengthwise taking 1/3 to 1/2 off so they are not so big around.

Also the color changing targets at close ranges are a big positive reinforcement. Soda cans are cool too, shake them up, set them up, then blow em up.

Some wet wipes for wiping the lead off the hands are always in order after shooting and/or handling ammo.

There is a great article about kids first trip to the range over at
    http://www.corneredcat.com/Kids/firsttrip.aspx
    She also has other great articles about kids and gun safety.