close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Minority??? FDNY hiring

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by meathead19, Jul 18, 2012.

1. meathead19

meathead19

2. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Boy Howdy ! ... :shocked:

3. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Nothing new..... My dad was turned down twice when he was going through the process of being a cop. Once because even though he did the best on their test, it'd be racist if they hired the most qualified person, if that person happened to be whitey. So they hired a black guy who scored significantly lower.

Second time was he scored significantly higher than everyone else, and they had to throw those test results out, because not enough "minorities" scored high enough to be hired, and it'd be racist if they again, hired the most qualified person.

I guess it turned out for the better though. He stayed in the airforce to retire as a high ranking officer, is enjoying that kush little paycheck the DOD gives you, all while working for a fair amount of money with an 8-5 job, and being a college professor part time.

4. meathead19

meathead19

Glad he made out fine, but this is just so "in your face" blatantly wrong.....WTF is wrong with this judge??

5. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Here's the logic:

1. The current FDNY test is having way to much disparate impact.
    2. Since it's racist to say anything about the test takers, we'll say the test is bad.
    3. We'll (NY Taxpayers) spend millions to hire an outside agency to FINALLY design a test that eliminates disparate impact. ALL THE OTHER test makers who have not eliminated disparate impact just have not tried hard enough.
    4. ???
    5. Discriminate against White's FTW!

6. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

I agree, I do not condone the actions of this judge.

Affirmative action is the mentality of beating racism with racism. :rofl:

7. OrangeJoe

OrangeJoe Machetes & Guns

[/GT outrage mode off]

“A facially neutral employment practice, such as a written examination, that disproportionately excludes individuals from employment opportunities on the basis of their membership in a protected group, such as a particular race or national origin, and cannot be shown to be related to job performance, violates Title VII.”

How did they meet the bold part? The linked exam 'looks' very much like it's related to job performance.

http://documents.nytimes.com/new-york-city-firefighter-examinations

BTW, "The Bush Justice Department filed suit against the FDNY in May 2007, challenging the exams "

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Seriously? He lowered the bar to 25% being passing? That's freaking ridiculous! The Army has a standard of 70% of most of it's tests, and I always thought that was a bit low personally. I don't understand how these tests are racially prejudicial either. I looked over some of the copy provided in the story. You need to be able to look at a picture, and remember important details, or answer questions where the answers are plainly spelled out for you in the paragraph above!! Holy crap, I don't think I could ever move to NY, no matter how much $$ I was being paid.

ETA: What is the current passing score, for say, white people? And do any white people that failed but got more than a 25 get the same treatment?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's racist!!! FDNY doesn't want to recruit Asians.

10. meathead19

meathead19

Height requirement??? J/K!!!

11. meathead19

meathead19

You couldn't pay me to live in NY either. I think lots are moving out and I certainly understand why.

12. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

It's not about you, unfortunately. Disparate impact only goes one way. For instance, nobody cares that Asians score (on average) about 2 STDV's above NAMS on most IQ predictive tests (ASVAB, SAT, GRE) but their up in arms that us racist homophobic white people are 1 STDV above NAM's. That's the disparate impact we are concerned with.

NAM's are what we care about in this nation. Not you curve wrecking, engineer student physicists who come to the US and assimiliate and become successful within one generation. We're concerned about the NAM's who after 50 years still....just....can't...seem....to......make it on a macro scale.

13. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

You should sue!!!!:rofl:

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Of course it's not about me. First of all, I'm not a New Yorker. Secondly, I'm not interested in being a fireman.

However, I want to fight for justice and equality for the rest of the yellow brothers.

It's not fair that we are always targeted as the noble minority. Why can't Hollywood make more movies about Asian gangs? One Clint Eastwood movie isn't enough. Why can't we be singled out on the new Yellow Form? Hell, the new form isn't even yellow any more. The Man even took that away from us.

15. Averageman

Averageman

They cannot be serious.
    Okay, so you fight and fight to get the job and proudly work with guys who scored 25% on their entrance exam?
    There is no way I want someone who is wrong 75% of the time being my back-up in an emergency.

16. Random

Random Black Nationalist

Hard to tell what the judge actually mandated. When I googled it all the links were to obviously slanted (read- "Do You Know What the Liberals Are Putting In Your Drinking Water/ The Liberal Media Hates America/ Obama's BLACK, Somebody Stop Him) websites. They were all inflammatory sensationalist "I'm an oppressed white male *sniffle sniffle* let's band together" media outlets and webforums...and Glocktalk.

I'm pretty good at looking past that stuff, but after 10 minutes I still couldn't find a REAL source on what the guy actually ruled.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'd like to see the actual ruling that a judge would mandate a quota because as far as I can tell, quotas are against the law. At least in the construction world anyway.

18. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Title VII should be called Entitle VII.
    The verbage in the description appears to make it violate itself in what the judge has ordered. That's without assuming whites are in minority in that particular city.

19. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

How does a written test know the applicant's race?

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

How is it that all of the branches of the military, and the field of medicine, and much of sports and engineering has a higher concentration of minorities?

How does the (NY) fire dept manage to stay so lily white? Do they recruit dumb *** minorities to sit the test? Where are the smart latinos? Somebody threatened to deport their chula?

As Rabbi says, the numbers don't lie - and in this scenario they don't like on both sides of the streets.

1. The dept is overwhelmingly white. I know how it got that way, and for the most part, how it stayed that way, and how it STAYS that way.

2. The judge has more baloney that a fully loaded boars head truck.