Minor IDPA mods for G17

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by gjk5, Oct 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I shoot a G17 in IDPA, looking at LoneWolf barrel (I have a crapload of lead I'd like to shoot), extended mag release and 3.5lb connector.

Thoughts or input appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. mboylan

mboylan

15 lb recoil spring on a polymer JP guide rod. Especially, if you are going to shoot heavier bullets at minor power factors.

The 17 lb spring doesn't handle 147 gr bullets going at 875-900 fps very well.

A better set of sights than stock is pretty much essential. Team Glock goes with Warren/Sevigny.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Have the night sights and like them, hate the stock Glock sights (this is the only Glock I own out of several dozen guns). I will mostly be shooting 115gr plated and 125gr lead (have a few K total of them).

4. Bob45acp

Bob45acp HandgunWorld

I'll second the Warren/Sevigny sights and the Lone Wolf barrel, and add that you might want to consider a slightly overpowered trigger return spring. It seems to shorten the trigger pull/reset and smooth it out a little too. Wolff springs are the ones I use.

5. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey

I shoot a 17.

Factory 3.5 # conector
    Factory 21 mag release with a melt on the edges
    Factory extended slide release
    A little grip tape
    Heiny sights

One of the clubs I shoot will inspect guns for mods every now an then to keep you honest.

6. ross2004

ross2004 Mark it zero!

Here's what my G17 has, all IDPA legal:

-Factory "-" connector, smoothed and polished
    -Warren/Sevigny sights (FO front)
    -Wolf competition spring kit: lighter safety plunger and firing pin springs, heavier trigger spring
    -DIY lightened firing pin
    -Jager captured polymer guide rod with 11 lbs. recoil spring
    -LoneWolf overtravel stop (what a waste of money)
    -All trigger components smoothed and polished
    -Glockmeister grip plug
    -Talon grips
    -Factory ext. mag and slide stop releases

I come from the paintball world so I like to tinker/add parts.

7. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Good sights. Anything "night sight" is likely going to hold you back, assuming we're not talking a Heinie striaght-8 or a Warren set with tritium vials ... which are basically competition sights with some tritium tossed in as a bonus.

Recoil spring. I run a 13lb ISMI spring on the factory guide rod. If you're loading your own lead, start researching minor power-factor loads and stick with 124gr or heavier, and you'll be astonished with the difference. I load a 130gr moly over 3.8gr of Solo1000... and it's a wicked combination.

Whatever you want for the trigger. I'd recommend a minus connector and that's it. Stock guns run filthy better than ones with lightened parts/springs.

8. COM165

COM165

Why would night sights hold you back? I'm going to be trying to start competing after shooting for 15 years. I was just going to bring my stock G19 with Glock night sights. I'll be drawing from my Milt Sparks SS II IWB holster like I carry it off-duty.

I'm a police officer and I wanted to use IDPA as additional training. I don't want to get used to competition sights and gadgets and then carry a different gun.

Does this make me an oddball?

I don't have a timer, but when I go to the range I get fairly fast follow up shots and keep nice tight COM hits. So I think that I might fair well at my first competition. Who knows?

9. Adam5

Adam5

What division do you shoot?

IIRC, you are limited to what mods you canmake if you are shooting "production".

10. GammaDriver

GammaDriver

Nice list, and thank you from a hopeful guy who hasn't yet started.

What would the list look like for Glock shooting competitions? How much of it could I use, or have to discard?

11. Adam5

Adam5

-Factory "-" connector, smoothed and polished
    -Warren/Sevigny sights (FO front)
    -Wolf competition spring kit: lighter safety plunger and firing pin springs, heavier trigger spring
    -DIY lightened firing pin
    -Jager captured polymer guide rod with 11 lbs. recoil spring
    -LoneWolf overtravel stop (what a waste of money)

-All trigger components smoothed and polished
    -Glockmeister grip plug
    -Talon grips
    -Factory ext. mag and slide stop releases

For GSSF "stock" class everything highlited in red is illegal. For higher classes they are allowed.

12. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I prefer the 3 dot night sights over most, cannot stand straight -8's and do not like the factory Glock sight much. All of my carry guns (except the Jframe) have night sights as do many of my other guns.

I do plan on sticking with 124's once I burn through the Berry's 115's.

13. GammaDriver

GammaDriver

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  14. HK Dan

HK Dan

I shoot a bone stock G17. It got me to high "Master" using plain ole Montana Golds loaded to SAAMI max.

I reckon I did change sights--Warren Tactical. That's it. 70,000 rounds later, the trigger is NICE and smoothe...LOL

15. GammaDriver

GammaDriver

Neat.

With you doing that, you seem like the type of person to use a simple round.

Which make and model of cartridge are you using, or are you reloading?

I keep reading, and wanting to try out, the minor power-factor loads, but I take it that you've made it that far with regular ones - which sounds easy (if not a little more expensive than reloading for oneself).

16. ross2004

ross2004 Mark it zero!

The 147 gr. "Team Glock" spec 9mm from Atlanta Arms and Ammo is about the softest shooting 9mm I've shot that still makes minor PF. It made the gun feel a little slow even with the 14 lbs. recoil spring I used to have in, so I bought an 11 lbs. to try but haven't shot it yet.

17. Westicle

Westicle Canadian... Eh

melting the edges of the factory part is illegal for SSP in IDPA... bumps you up to ESP.

18. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

If you're going to have to carry a gun with chunky night sights, then shoot one in competition.

But the short squat brick of a front post on a set of trijicon/mepro/etc type of sights does two things.

That fat monster of a front blade obscures more of the target.
    There's no gap on either side of the front post. Most good competition sights have a front post 1/2 to 2/3 the width of the rear notch when presented to the target. That open air lets you actually see the target WITHIN the sight picture, instead of a wall of 3 squat little cinder blocks blocking the bottom half of everything.

They leave a lot to be desired when it comes to shooting fast. But I'm not shooting some "competition only" whizbang set: My Glock 19 has Sevigny Competition sights on it, too. ;)

19. COM165

COM165

Thanks for the info. I'm used to shooting the sights with the thick front post. A buddy of mine has some competition sights on his 35. I don't know what brand. They do have a fiberoptic front post. Maybe I'll see if I can try his out to see if it'll make me shoot any faster.

20. Singlestack Wonder

Singlestack Wonder

Change the sights to Heinie Slant Pro's (Straight Eight Slant Pro's if this is a self defense pistol or will be used for low light stages) and change nothing else.