close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Minnesota Whitetail Opener Report

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Glockerel, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

All I can say is whew!!
    I have never in my life seen so many deer. Everywhere we drove on Thurs and Fri prior to Sat's opener we saw deer. We saw groups in fields, bucks tending does, does everywhere.
    Saturday opened cold at around 0 degrees in northwest central Minnesota. Barely a breeze too. With a little snow on the ground, the scene was set for a very great day.
    By 7:15 AM I had .243'd a buck and a doe. My buddy had done the same with 15 minutes of me. He was only 150 yards behind me in his stand.
    We waited until Sunday evening before we went out again. We have a 2 day season where I hunt near Battle Lake, so this was our last chance.
    After sitting in an alfalfa field for less than 15 minutes, I sniped another nice doe.
    Again, as I mentioned above, I have never seen so many deer. On the way back to the farm that night, I had a huge buck refuse to move from the road. He was hot on a doe in the ditch and wouldn't let my truck by. I had to blink the lights several times to get him out of the way.
    After skinning and cutting, I dropped some meat off for beer sticks and summer sausage. There were twelve guys cutting without speaking. I asked the lady if they were busy. She looked at me and said "By Monday morning, we've had over 600 deer dropped off".

I hope all you folks out there have a great deer season. If your are lucky enough to be dead in the middle of the rut like we were, you're in for a thrill!

2. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

;P ;P ;P I thought my 2 1/2 month season was too short! Man that sucks. Good job though, at least you made the most of it. BTW, I also hunt whitetail with a .243, among others. What kind of ammo do you use?

3. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Off the the shelf Remington core-loct 90gr.
    For pinpoint accuracy, I find a .243 to be the ultimate all purpose gun. I once plucked a goose in a field at 325 yrds by aiming about 15 inches over it. Wind was calm of course, but those rounds are so predictable.
    To clarify our season in that area-
    Week 1 is sat/sun
    Week 2 is Sat-Tues.
    Most of Northern Mn has a 2 full week/3 weekend season.
    Bow hunting here is about 2 plus months.

4. GUNZEALOT

GUNZEALOT Up all night

I was hunting around the Motley,MN area and I saw over 20 deer Sat/Sun, no big bucks though. I ended up shooting a small buck (5 pointer) with my 30-06 and a small doe with my .357 mag. That is a rush hunting with a pistol. I felt like I was shooting my first deer all over again. It was about 25-30 yards away and it seemed like my sights were as big a the whole front shoulder. I'm going back this weekend to shoot another doe, there are a lot of does in my area.

5. vafish

vafish

When did MN changes it's deer rules? When I was growing up there we were only allowed 1 deer. My dad hunts up north of Two Harbors and I think he still only gets 1 deer.

6. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

A lot of the northern areas still do have only 1 deer limits. I used to hunt near there, and as you know, there's a lot of trees between the deer. The best place to get a deer up there in on Highway 61 with a truck- and you can do that year 'round!

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Millennium Member

With our massive number of Deer this year we have some expanded limits. I live in an intensive harvest area and as a land owner (kinda crappy hunting from a lawn chair on the front porch though)I am wondering what I will do with the ten Deer that my wife and I are allowed to shoot.(i'm thinking ofur will be where we stop) Looks like it may be time for a new deep freeze(or at least I will be in one, My season doesn't open until the 22nd gonna be COLD). BTW I am in the Metro Area so the fewer deer here the better for all those wonderful people I see commuting into the city on my way home from work (for all the fuzzt wuzz hunting is crule folks i figured i should put that in).

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Hunting is cruel. I had to work darn hard to just get a doe so far. Haven't seen a buck a field since bow season. They're out there, but they're just so darn cruel to me ;a

9. mudfootball

mudfootball

What do you mean you were hunting on Sunday afternoon? Oh thats right your not in Pennsylvania! Sorry had to get that in. Good shootin'
    kt