Glock Talk banner

Minnesota Honors 12 More Drops 4.

1306 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Razed By Wolves
The Minnesota Commissioner of the Dept of Public Services has put out the new list of states Minnesota will honor. Minnesota changed their Reciprocity law Aug. 1 of this year. The state Minnesota honors now are:

Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware*, Idaho* Enhanced Only, Illinois*, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey*, New Mexico, North Dakota* Class 1 Only, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island*, South Carolina*, South Dakota* and Tennessee.
States with an * are addition in 2015.

Minnesota has dropped, Missouri, Texas, Utah and Wyoming from the list they had until today. www.handgunlaw.us is hoping to have all this new information added to the site later this evening or early tomorrow.

The New page just went up on the Minnesota DPS website. You can view that all Here
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
45,276 Posts
Thanks.........Good information.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say this for Minnesota. They contacted the states they decided to honor and let them know they were going to honor their permit/license. They also contacted Missouri, Texas, Wyoming and Utah and let them know they were no longer going to honor their permit/license. WY, UT and MO removed Minnesota as a state that honored their permit within 24 hours of the effective date of Minnesota’s new listing. Texas never did honor MN. North Dakota listed Minnesota within hours of Minnesota’s announcement that they would honor their permit/license. MN has a chance to be honored in two other states DE and SC. Time will tell if that happens or not.

Other states that have dropped states never notified the state they would no longer honor them. When Nevada dropped states they never contacted anyone. NV did not have signed agreements with those states they just honored that state.

MN changed their listing of states they honor because their law was changed on how they would honor other states. For all the reasons MN dropped states visit this website and they give the reason for dropping UT, WY, MO and TX.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Thanks for the update and informational link, Gary. Guess those other states can't be getting out in front for freedom that exceeds what the Lake Woebegon set can abide. Too bad the MN law simply can't disallow or not recognize any permit issued to anyone under 21 rather than disallowing the entire state. Just another example of wrong-headed thinking about the entire subject of interstate recognition on multiple matters.

· Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MN law states you have to be 21 to apply for a permit/license in MN. Their reciprocity law states that the other states criteria must be similar to MN to honor them. They could state they will just not honor a permit for those under 21 like other states do. They could do that from my reading of their law. Will they do that is the big question. Some states do that and others don't. Carry laws have come a long way in the last 10 years. More and more states honor each other and restrictions have been relaxed. MN could change in the years ahead. It depends on many things and especially those in positions of authority in government.

The one thing I have seen in my life is that something is not really important until something happens bringing it into the spotlight. Just look at the Confederate Flag. It was really a non issue to the general public until the Church Shooting. Now it is being removed everywhere! The Left will jump on anything like they did on the Confederate Flag issue and sometimes it takes root and other times it just disappears from the public domain. Something could happen in the future that could change everything very quickly. It could be for the better or it might be for the worse. Only time will tell!

· In the STL
3,766 Posts
I looked at that link you posted about MN dropping some states. I know MO started in October 2014 to allow a person 19 years old to get a permit, which that MN page points out, but they state 19 and active military or veteran, which is false. Mo allows non-military at 19, and 18 if active military.

I know you probably have nothing to do with MN's site you linked to above, but that info about MO is only half right...lol. Just an FYI

· Registered
1,046 Posts
This is just my opinion, of course, but I think it's the epitomy of ignorance to ban permit holders from a state that allows people under 21 to acquire a permit. They could have just made the law such that you have to be 21 or older for your permit from that state to be honored. Me thinks Minnesota legislators were just looking for a reason to restrict as many CCW permit holders as they could, for any reason, whether it makes sense or not. No problems, I won't be traveling to Minnesota....ever.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
IL honors no one, only four states have the ability to apply for a non-res. The nearest of which is Virginia.
When the MN carry law was passed we had a Republican Gov who knew he needed the gun group to get elected but the Commissioner of the DPS who decides what states to honor was against carry and took the substantially similar to mean "More restrictive." Currently we have a Democratic Gov who hates guns and a Commissioner of the DPS who doesn't want to piss of the Gov that just got her a 40% raise.

· In the STL
3,766 Posts
I didn't realize they only allow four states to apply for non-resident permits. I just figured they didn't recognize any others just so you would pay them $300 for a non-resident permit.

States that recognize IL should stop until IL starts recognizing them

Sent from my stupid smartphone using Tapatalk

· Registered
78 Posts
I will say this for Minnesota. They contacted the states they decided to honor and let them know they were going to honor their permit/license. They also contacted Missouri, Texas, Wyoming and Utah and let them know they were no longer going to honor their permit/license. WY, UT and MO removed Minnesota as a state that honored their permit within 24 hours of the effective date of Minnesota’s new listing. Texas never did honor MN. North Dakota listed Minnesota within hours of Minnesota’s announcement that they would honor their permit/license. MN has a chance to be honored in two other states DE and SC. Time will tell if that happens or not.

Other states that have dropped states never notified the state they would no longer honor them. When Nevada dropped states they never contacted anyone. NV did not have signed agreements with those states they just honored that state.

MN changed their listing of states they honor because their law was changed on how they would honor other states. For all the reasons MN dropped states visit this website and they give the reason for dropping UT, WY, MO and TX.

Nevada pretty much sucks on reciprocity. Legislature passed a bill to open it up but it doesn't seem to have worked. I am guessing the problem is the requirement to have a CCW database available 24/7 to LEOs. If someone could tell me what possible difference that makes, I would appreciate it. AFAIK, LEOs are trained to assume that all motorists are armed. Plus, an LEO can't access the database until they have already approached someone to identify them. NV CCW permits are linked to DLs not license plates.

· Registered
135 Posts
I'm a Wisconsin resident who lives on the Minnesota border in Western Wisconsin. It's basically a suburb of St Paul with a majority of residents working in the Mpls/St Paul metro. There is no MN/WI reciprocity so my Utah non-resident license was the only thing keeping me legal until August 1st when the MN commissioner of public services arbitrarily changed the law.

This is clearly an unconstitutional means of depriving out of state residents of their 2A rights. Only someone with the heart of a bureaucrat (a small minded, gun-hating bureaucrat at that) could believe this rule change adds anything to public safety. The stated rationale is Utah doesn't require "shooting proficiency." I've taken 2 Minnesota approved permit to carry classes in the last 5 years and can reliably report neither does Minnesota.

A new shooter in the course I just completed to apply for my MN non-resident permit demonstrated her shooting proficiency by turning around with a rented G43 in her hand sweeping everybody in the room and asked the instructor "is this loaded?" She passed.

Out of state residents can apply by mail to any county sheriff's department, I recommend Washington County because it's only $75 to process the application, everybody else is at the mandated maximum of $100. Our instructor was under the mistaken impression a Florida non-resident permit would be good in MN, it is not.

See Carry USA for their invaluable reciprocity map.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
If you live in Hudson, why wouldn't you have already had a MN Permit? MN won't recognize WI due to some of the ways that one can qualify for a permit without a class. My wife qualifies because she had Hunter Safety Training 20 years ago, my mother in law qualifies because she was a nurse in the navy 35 years ago yet never touched a firearm during her service.

I also find it kind of funny you put in a plug for a different site when the OP runs www.handgunlaw.us which is fantastic for finding out information on carrying just about anywhere.

· Registered
135 Posts
Because my Utah non-resident permit covered MN and 29 other states, including many of the ones we travel through on vacation every summer and cost less than the MN non-res.

The OP can plug his own website; I think the Carry USA map is easier to understand and more user-friendly. If you click on "Permits Honored By State" you'll notice Wisconsin honors permits from 36 states while Minnesota recognizes a stingy 16. That's the difference between looking for reasons to accept legitimate permits from law abiding citizens and looking for reasons to reject permits from law abiding citizens. It certainly hasn't been a problem in Wisconsin to err on the side of the 2nd amendment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.