Minneapolis Use of Force Policy Allows Kneeling on a Suspect's Neck as a "Non-Deadly Force Option"

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Bren, May 30, 2020.

1. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

No surprise they hired Baden, the most prominent of the "coroner for hire" guys. He is the go to guy for plaintiffs attorney's who always earns his pay by finding what the plaintiffs want.

merlynusn, 4949shooter and Grabbrass like this.
  2. rock_jock

rock_jock

It doesn't really matter if the 8.5 minutes George Floyd was held down with a knee to his neck was a direct or indirect cause of death. No LEO should ever be in a position that his/her use of unreasonable force was a contributor to a suspects death. For the life of me, I cannot understand what this jacka** was thinking. "Minimum force necessary for the shortest time necessary to achieve the legal objective" is not difficult to figure out. Even with allowance for emotional distress and adrenaline flowing, 8.5 minutes while the guy is proned out? Simply insane.

3. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I’ve been taught the vascular neck restraint, and I’m betting that’s what the policy refers to. I’ve never been taught to apply it with a knee.

I’m thinking it was either positional asphyxiation, or some underlying issue that caused his death. I don’t see a murder here, I see an excessive force/failure to render aid issue. In no way am I defending the officer, there are some serious issues for sure.

He did seem very focused on the crowd that was forming, which likely is the cause of him diverting his attention from Mr. Floyd which should of been his primary responsibility.

Its a crap sandwich, and I’m not sure when this rioting will end. Election year of a president the left hates, COVID, social media and the news media have really created the perfect storm.

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Coroner says it is homicide, if it is determined that the homicide is the result of the use of excessive force or at least a contributor to it. The prosecutors are going to go for murder.

If it is true that chauvin ignored warnings from the other officers present then the charges will probably stick,

CAcop and p.d. like this.
  5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

So instead of being prosecuted for murder AND violating policy, he will just be prosecuted for murder.

6. merlynusn

merlynusn

He’s still in violation of policy because Floyd was not actively resisting.

The middle officer checked his pulse and didn’t find one and they did nothing for 2 more minutes. That’s where they all screwed up for sure. If they had begun to immediately render aid then they might have a leg to stand on.

Dukeboy01, CAcop and Dragoon44 like this.
  7. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Well stated

8. Mister X

Mister X

I was referring to the members here and on other forums that are LEO’s likely being better trained than your average cop. I can see where I didn’t make that very clear.

9. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Not arguing against custody time, but why does the 14th Amendment not apply to them?

CAcop likes this.