close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Minitor V

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Tvov, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Tvov

Tvov

So, what do you all think of the Minitor V's? We are now switching over to them. We had mostly Minitor II, then tried III and IV but kept having problems with them. The Minitor II's were (still are) great and dependable, but I guess it is getting difficult to repair them due to age.

One thing that annoys me is that the clip on the back has to be taken off in order to fit in a carry case. When my II went off, I would pull it out of the belt carry case and clip it on the susupenders of my gear.

The playback feature has already come in handy. If you miss the announcement, you can play it back.

2. Tvov

Tvov

Just giving this one bump, that's all!

3. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Any thought given to switching to alpha pagers? They take the guesswork out of listening to the address on a minitor playback. We used to have dispatchers that sounded like they had a mouthful of marbles. With alpha pagers you have a text message that only relys on someones ability to type. Unfortunately they do take a few seconds longer to type out and send than a radio message. Just out of curiosity does your department use 800 trunk or the old simplex style radios? I'm not sure the minitors would work with 800 trunk, if my memory serves me that is why we changed to alpha pagers.

4. Tvov

Tvov

We are kind of in the middle of transition with our radio system. We've been in, basically, a fight with the PD over dispatching and radio systems. Our PD is essentially in charge of dispatching us, and the dispatchers have been doing a bad job. It's not really their fault, because they don't have enough personnel (at least in my opinion. How can one person realistically dispatch simultaneously the Fire department, Ambulance, Police dept, and possible mutual aid?). Anyway, due to all the grief, radio system upgrades are in "flux".

Right now we are still "low band". We have talked about switching to alpha pagers, actually our officers have cell phones that receive the dispatch alphanumerically. Of course, with our dispatcher situation, the alpha dispatch usually doesn't come through until many minutes after the "normal" dispatch (like, 10 minutes later).

So, we have new Minitor V pagers now.

5. D25

D25 The Quick

I'm not a big fan. They are just too big, and they do the same thing that the old ones do.

6. fireguy129

fireguy129

Well, considering the "old ones" were discontinued 10 years ago, its time to move on. We started scavaging parts from 2 or 3 to repair the others. Finally we realized we needed to pull the plug. New MinV's arrived about 5 months ago.
    Overall, pretty well designed. The alert is loud, almost too loud for me. I rarely turn it up past the minimum. Vibrate is impressive. Dislike the scan, we're on a county wide dispatch, so the dispatch freq is usually busy. We have it set at the slowest clickback and its still disruptive on freq 2. The reminder beep I could do without. The stored voice works well most of the time, but I think something needs to be adjusted. Too often all we get is the mutual aid tones then the next dispatch.
    Oh and the battery life is incredible. I usually get 3-4 days before it needs to be charged. Thats keeping it on private alert and running a call or two. If your monitoring or scanning, its probably less.

7. D25

D25 The Quick

I do like the battery life.

I just think that something that big should be able to transmit- i mean they are about 2x the size of the old ones- defunct or not. For that reason, I just carry a radio.

8. fireguy129

fireguy129

True, they are bigger. But I don't really notice the difference. Anyone try using the portables as pagers? My tk-250 is set like that. We did try some tk-270's (I think thats what they were) before the Min5's came out. A little bigger, but gave dispatch and 7 talkback channels. The guys didn't like them though. Only gave 4 tones, then the message.

9. txpo710

txpo710

We just switched to HYI portables. They have the paging built in and cost is under 200. More bang for the buck. Don't let my avatar fool you, I'm multy tasking. Active AF, reserve PD, and VFD.