Minimum Length for 9mm 125gr Round Nose?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wavetrain75, Feb 20, 2010.

1. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

The RCBS always lists a maximum COAL but never a minimum. What's the shortest safe COAL for a 125 grain round nose?

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

With a 9mm 125g RN in lead you are pretty much limited to the driving band above the lube ring, so will need to adjust powder charges accordingly.

The safest thing to do is load the longest OAL that will realiably feed in your weapons magazine. That being said I always stick with 1.130 if I can but mostly for FMJ and LFP 9mm, but the few loads that I did do for that bullet weight and profile was relagated to loading then at 1.110

3. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

1.095 inches. I shoot a lot of 124 gr flat nose and 125 gr round nose bullets and this is the consistent length I load to and I just got back from the range firing 275 rounds. I shoot 226's and 228's just in case you were wondering.
    What kind of powder do you use, b/c I am experimenting with different types?

4. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

Sorry you asked for shortest - 1.080 with round nose and 1.070 with flat's

5. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah, I can't agree there. THere is no rule of thumb. Your pwoder charge & the shape of the bullet dictate. I load 124grLTC (Saeco mold) to 1.060", becuase that fits all my 9mm. There are just too many variables to give one min. OAL.

6. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

AA #5. It's a little dirty and requires a heavier charge than some others to get the same velocity. But it meters well and seems consistant.

7. jeffchance

jeffchance

I've had to load one 9mm at 1.050 with MBC 125gr lead RN for one of my non-Glocks to keep from putting the slug into the lands. This required specific and very comprehensive reload software to calculate a SAFE load for this short of COL as no data was available. Here is the link:http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm In this particular gun, this short of COL presented NO feed or fire problems whatsoever.

You will need someone who has this software or purchase it yourself in order to get the info. There are no "free rides"
    JEFF

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010