Glock Talk banner

Mini-Red Dot......Any Decent Options for $100 or Less?

23470 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  cyphertext
Hey all,

I'm thinking of picking up a budget mini red dot for my 22 pistol. I had a Sightmark on it and it was the kind that had something like 6 different reticle patterns and 10 brightness levels. It wasn't the mini type like I am talking about here. The kind I want now is the type that the new Glock MOS series pistols are made to use. I guess some call them "reflex" red dot sights I think. Eventually I would like to get a Glock 41 and use the mini red dot I buy here on it.

If you were on a budget, what would you get? There has to be something in between Premium and Junk. You know what I mean?

Thanks for you help

Nalajr
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,778 Posts
Hey all,

I'm thinking of picking up a budget mini red dot for my 22 pistol. I had a Sightmark on it and it was the kind that had something like 6 different reticle patterns and 10 brightness levels. It wasn't the mini type like I am talking about here. The kind I want now is the type that the new Glock MOS series pistols are made to use. I guess some call them "reflex" red dot sights I think. Eventually I would like to get a Glock 41 and use the mini red dot I buy here on it.

If you were on a budget, what would you get? There has to be something in between Premium and Junk. You know what I mean?

Thanks for you help

Nalajr
I would suggest the burris fast fire, it won't be less than 100, but a used FF2 can be had for less than 200.

I had the Primary arms micro dot and it would have issues holding zero after a while and randomly turning off on me. It was great when it worked, they replaced the first one, and the 2nd one lasted longer, but I've switched it to a Burris FF2 and never looked back.

I also have 2 trijicon RMR's but I can understand why you wouldn't want to put that on a 22lr, I didn't want to spend that much either for a 22. I use those for larger pistols

· Registered
6,932 Posts

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link to that test. Those aren't the type I am asking about in this thread but, soon I will be getting a new AR when I sell my vintage Colt and am going to get a decent red dot like those in the link for my new Colt 6920 that I plan on getting with the proceeds of the sale.

Thanks all

Nalajr

· Premium Member
5,911 Posts
There is a dropoff in quality at that price, but my Bushnell First Strike worked well on a .22lr plinker. It has some things that you may like or dislike, like the fact you put a cover on it to turn it off (photocell). But for just a bit over your $100 price point ($125-ish), it seems to be as decent as any of the other inexpensive options.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-First-Strike-Reflex-Red-Dot-Scope/21270198

-OR-

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-Strike-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B006UJ0280

· Fartacus
1,212 Posts
I have been using a Millet SP1 on my MarkIII for about six years. Never had a problem with it, and the combination is supernaturally accurate. I paid about $60 for the scope.

Reactions: Bill Keith

· Registered
274 Posts
Sight marks loosen up and get funky quick.

I've had a 25 mm Bushnell RD for a year now and has worked very well. Same battery still and no switch loosening or odd behaviors yet. Mounted on AR. Co-witness is not full with riser but more so lower 2/3 witness. Which does block the rear peep a bit with the red dot unit in the lens. Blocks the lower right part in peep at 5 o'clock position.

Probably shouldn't have that on pistol though.

· Registered
132 Posts
Thank you for holding my place, now I can catch up on my reading.

· Registered
16,907 Posts
I think if you could bump it up to closer to $150 you could get something like Primary Arms and those are pretty decent. Even the Bushnell that I have on my S&W 22A was around $150 but has also lasted years, still works(not hard to believe on top of a .22 pistol lol) and is still going on the original battery(6 years id say) its going to need changed someday but...till it runs out RUN IT lol.

But the primary arms ones are recommended(highly by ar people/forums for plinking and fun rifles) for AR's and I think they make smaller ones(micro dot???) that may work just fine on a pistol.

look at this one and the reviews. And its listed as being able to be used for pistols

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-fbgii.htm

· Registered
15,399 Posts
Look for a sale on Burris Fast Fire 3. I have seen them for $219 off and on. That is the no mount model. I have one on a S&W .357 and plan to add at least one or two red dot sighted guns in the future.

· Micheal D Dokes
269 Posts
I like my Truglo 2x reddot scope
I have one and it's works great. It might not be as not as rugged as a high quality red dot and the battery only lasts 24 hours at most, but it works just as good and you can find it for $69 if you look around. Before you guys start giving me grief for using a cheap scope you should know I don't believe in putting a $600 red dot dot scope on a $300 rifle and I don't plan on going into a battle with it either. it's just a good inexpensive red dot that gets the job done and doesn't break the bank.

· Micheal D Dokes
269 Posts
Simply put no. Optics are one of the places where cheap gets you junk. If you want an optic on a gun ( I dislike them on rifles and positively hate them on pistols) get the best you possibly can.
That's just not true, there are plenty of affordable optics that will do the job. If you're not shooting good don't blame the scope. I see plenty of people at the range show up with high end equipment and they still can't shoot for **** while I'm shooting 1" groups at 200 yards with a Walmart scope.

· Registered
4,272 Posts
It might not be as not as rugged as a high quality red dot and the battery only lasts 24 hours at most, but it works just as good
Kinda contradictory there... You tell us that is not the same quality, and the battery won't last, yet it is just as good? I don't think so.

I use a cheap red dot, but you will never hear me say that my Bushnell TRS-25 is just as good as an Aimpoint. I've used both, and I know better.

· Registered
4,272 Posts
That's just not true, there are plenty of affordable optics that will do the job. If you're not shooting good don't blame the scope. I see plenty of people at the range show up with high end equipment and they still can't shoot for **** while I'm shooting 1" groups at 200 yards with a Walmart scope.
Going to disagree with you here too... You mention range use, which to me are perfect conditions when it comes to lighting. Now let's compare that cheap Walmart scope to a mid quality Nikon or Leupold at dawn or dusk, at the very start or end of legal shooting hours when hunting. I've sat side by side with my son and there was enough light to see the deer through my scope, but he couldn't see it through his because of the cheaper scope.

You do get what you pay for in optics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.