close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mini-14 or an AK?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TreyG-20, Sep 23, 2011.

1. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Saigas and Arsenals are easily available and built to military specs. So are a lot of the old imports, but they're rare now.

2. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Well, no... it's missing a hole and a few parts...

Hmmm... you must be thinking about one of the junked out kithouse guns I described earlier?

When I said don't buy a commercial barreled gun, only get the CHF Chrome lined original?

All my Romy G's were pristine and have made great shooters on quality NDS receivers. My 2 Bulgarian '74s were brand new... with matching serialized bayonet. I suppose the AMD-65 kits could be considered worn... and the Yugos were definitely thrashed... Crazy thing about those is they make damn good shooters even with the frosty bore and all. You really have to shoot one to see though... shame the Yugos weren't chrome lined.

But yeah, there are plenty of WASRs, Saigas, and other types readily available that still have the mil spec CHF barrel.

I'm not bigging up the AK to be anything more than it is, but it is certainly a class above a Mini-14, Kraptec SU-16, etc...

3. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

You know what i think? That everyone that posts to this thread should get butt hurt over other peoples "whom youve never met" opinions. Theyre both satisfactory weapons that fall short of the AR:rofl:

4. pm666

pm666

How 'bout a WWII USGI Winchester US .30 M1 Carbine?

5. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

I have owned both. They are BOTH better than a AR, but the AK gets the nod.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

I'll agree,....as long as the AR is chambered in 6.8 SPC II

7. AustinTx

AustinTx

He is right, they're very good rifles, if you stick to the Chinese SKS with all milled parts, or a Russian. The Russian can't be beat. The YUGO seems to have the very best workmanship and have excellent parts quality. I have a well used YUGO and it looks like it was built to the same standards as American made sporting rifles. The fit and finish looks commercial, not military. It's just ridiculous, with that NATO grenade launcher on it.

The SKS doesn't seem to draw the hate, that the AK-47 does. The 10 round, fixed magazine and no pistol grip doesn't seem to draw as much ire, from the anti-gunners.

The Ruger Mini 14 has always been priced a little higher than I have ever been willing to pay for one. I think they're a waste of money.

8. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The AK/AKM series is the most used fighting rifle on the planet for a lot of good reasons. The Mini-14 was never a standard issue military rifle by anyone anywhere, also for a lot of good reasons.

9. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Says who?

[​IMG]

I'm taking this thread to CRAZY TOWN... I have a Golani that put my Mini to SHAME in terms of accuracy, reliability, ergos, parts/mags.

[​IMG]

I ran it until it broke, sent it off to Jeff Miller/ TennGalil for some magic and it's back in the game and BETTER than it was...

[​IMG]

I have a C93 that shook the Mini to it's knees as well... and AGAIN at a lower cost of entry.

[​IMG]

The Mini-14 never gained any legitimacy for 2 reasons:

1) Inferior design/ inferior materials- specifically barrel steel
    2) Billy Ruger's politics- specifically the refusal to produce standard capacity magazines giving rise to the whole ChinaMag fiasco

Reason number 1 is why they aren't accurate, reason number two is why they aren't/weren't reliable.

I will give it the nod for big pimpin' though...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  10. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Ruger's politics had something to do with the Feds, lawyers and media trying to put him out of business because he was making guns the kill.

Don't forget that the Mini 14 was used in a number of infamous crimes. A survivalist/anti-tax nut named Gordon Kohl shot down a couple of sheriffs deputies with one. A guy in Canada killed 16 woman with one in a campus active shooter rampage, and the infamous Miami FBI shootout. Bad guys killed 3 or 4 agents with a Mini in that one. There are a few more as well. At the same time, the A Team was indiscriminatly shooting everything in sight every week on TV.

Bad press, lawyers and the Feds looking for a fall guy had Bill Ruger go into survival mode to save his company. I am not defending him but I understand why he said what he did to get them off his back. Better to run away to fight another day, than be put out of business.

11. AustinTx

AustinTx

Read up on Bill Ruger and the 10 round magazine limit we got in 1994, also called a high-cap ban.

He said that nobody needed a gun with a capacity of more then 10 rounds. He crawled in bed with Bill Clinton because he thought the feds were going to outlaw semi-auto rifles and he couldn't afford to lose the Mini-14 sales. Ruger wouldn't even offer a 20 round mag., until Bill Ruger was dead.

S&W threw in with the feds, too and the shooting community put them into bankruptcy, by boycott. The old S&W made the best pistols than anybody, until then. They had tooled up with all new CNC machines and you could essentially get a custom (whatever you wanted) for production gun prices. Now, all you can get is plastic semi-autos and revolvers. A lot of US employees also lost their jobs.

Why did Ruger get a pass, for selling us out and not S&W? I think that folks couldn't bear to lose their supply of guns, that are cheap to make.

12. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Because Ruger was run by Bill and nobody but (much like Lucasfilm and George).

S&W had been bought out by a Brit company, who was the one that cozied up to Slick Willy. As soon as the company returned to US hands, policies reversed rapidly.

And the Mini 'has' been an issued weapon.

The Constabulary in either Jamaica or Bahamas (can't remember) replaced the FAL with it. Since they're effectively a show force..... it does fine.

The Irish Gardai (federal cops) use the Mini, as does the French Gendarmerie (federal cops) at least at one point in time, in the AC556 role because it didn't look as 'scary' yet gave them full auto 5.56 firepower when needed.

Nowdays they run AUGs and FAMAS's along with MP5's IIRC.

13. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

You forgot it's most notable cred with ESU:

[​IMG]

14. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

for some reason this picture makes me hungry for corn dogs

15. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

They could be AC556's also.

:cool:

16. jrh3

jrh3 War Eagle

AK47 all the way. I rock a AMD-65 and love it. No problems at all

John
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. MrMurphy

ESU ditched them for M-4s as soon as the option was presented.

18. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Yes. But they still had them on 9/11 and the fact that they ever bought them (AC556s...whatever) brings some cred... or at least more than a parade unit in the Bahamas or a county jail in Mississippi.

19. AustinTx

AustinTx

Ruger certainly did run Strum Ruger, before he died. He also helped get us the high cap mag ban.

The Brit company did get in bed with Slick Willy. You have that part right, but when the company returned back to US hands, they don't make any of the 3rd gen auto pistols, now. The REVERSED POLICIES STINK and I'm wouldn't ever buy another S&W product.

20. MrMurphy

They still make a few of the 3rd Gens the last I heard (TSW series).

They now make the M&Ps because guess what.....they sell.