Ruger Mini-14 Accuracy

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by LApm9, Dec 6, 2015.

1. LApm9

LApm9

I had heard that the new, heavier barrel had improved the Mini-14 accuracy. A friend at the range has just bought one and reports that it shoots "all over the place" at 100 yards. This fellow is a skilled shooter, so it is likely the gun.

Is there an easy fix to this, or is this gun inherently inaccurate? Does my friend have a lemon?

I was just about to buy one!

2. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

What is his definition of "all over the place" ?

If he is used to a Rem 700 and a one-big-hole at 100 yards, then yes the Mini-14 does not have that kind of accuracy.

What he may be finding is if you shoot it slowly it is 'ok' but if you shoot it a little faster the barrel heats up and you get an increasingly large vertical group. Heat stringing. This is an issue if you will be using it in competition or longish range sessions. Not so big a deal as an occasional shooter like a truck gun/ranch rifle.

The shorter "tactical" barrels are better, but I still get it with my 300 BLK Mini, which does not heat up at much as a 5.56mm mini, although the suppressor holds in some heat.

Some will disagree, but I use the mini as a 50 yard fun gun/ranch gun (possibly other uses we won't go into) but not a gopher gun, nor a target gun. There are others better suited fur those things.

nitesite10mm likes this.

3. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

I shoot mine from 50 to 100 yards and can put all rounds on target in the bullseye.I'm happy with that. Not looking to win any shooting competions.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Most inaccurate rifle I've ever had.
    I tried everything to get under Pie Plate Accuracy at 100 yards.

I REALLY liked the gun but got rid of it. I saw No use for a rifle that was that inaccurate.

The last one I saw was one a fellow brought to my range.
    The fellow worked in a pawn shop and someone had pawned the gun. That says something there.
    The gun was supposed to be the latest improvement to give the gun some accuracy.
    The fellow bench rested the rifle at 50 yards. I didn't embarrass him by telling him a handgun would outshoot that thing at 50 and 100 yards.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  5. beaversgs

beaversgs

I've been happy with my new Mini 14 Tac with the heavier barrel. I was able to hit "head and shoulder" sized steel at @140, 160, and 180 braced against a barricade with it with iron sights at the last 3 gun match. Given it was 1 round per target, and I only fired @4-6 to get my 3 hits. I was also able to break clays at @25-50 yards with one or two shots on several stages. I've been meaning to try and heat it up and check for vertical stringing, but haven't had the time. I'll try to check my hits on paper at closer distances next time (plan to shoot the 3 gun match with it again Saturday).

sticks likes this.