close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mingus, TX 2006 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Apr 1, 2006.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your report here. We all want to hear about the new match.

2. Ranger54

Ranger54

OK, just to be first *L* It is 7:24 AM, getting ready to head to breakfast, then to TacPro. Stayed in the Longhorn Inn last night, nice place and inexpensive, free WiFi.

3. Ranger54

Ranger54

Hey Glockers,

Shot the match this morning in 3 categories, 3 Glocks. Slow start but that was to be expected for a first time host till the ROs got used to the setup and squading. Overall, an excellent facility, great ROs and a lot of fun. I will certainly return and think it is great we have 3 Texas matches.

I hope they continue to host.

4. JDM2126

JDM2126

Got there right before 9:00 am. ROs were still in their pre-match brief, but registration was going strong. No wait for those who pre-registered. Glock armorer was in place, giving someone's equipment the once-over. Weather was warm and windy. Each stage had two set-ups. The shooting got started in earnest between 9:30 - 9:45 am. Some typical new match kinks, but ROs used common sense, stayed flexible, and the wait was minimal-- crowd in the morning was light. I was DONE by 11:45 am.

As for my shooting-- it was "thrill of victory and agony of defeat". The bad news first-- left three plates standing in AmCiv, the first time in eight matches I have left any plates standing up. Despite personal bests in the other two stages, this left me with a middle-of-the-pack score. Gun (G21) worked fine, but the shooter didn't.

The good news-- shot a personal best in the subcompact (G26). No threat to win the pistol prize, but may have cracked the top 10. Huge progress for a guy whose best effort normally puts me in the bottom of the "A" flight. Made me think there's actually a chance to break the 100 line some day.

Only complaint-- no vendors hawking Glock gear; however, it probably saved me some money! Well done to those who worked hard to make the match happen.

5. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

I shot Saturday. Drove over in the am, through some light rain, but it was bright and sunny when I got there. Turnout seemed light. As mentioned 2 stages per course, not very far to walk to the stages which was nice. Nice friendly group of folks running the match, some I knew from previous matches at TacPro.

I shot 74 AC, and 84 CD, both scores besting my previous best.

6. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Made it to the range about noon Saturday. As has been mentioned the weather was good, the range nice, and the people friendly. This was a good experience and I think GSSF has found a new home in Central Texas.

We enjoyed Dinner at Chili's last night with Tony & Donna and drove back to Houston Today.

Overall, this was a good experience and I hope GSSF chooses to do this again next year.

7. Panhandle Bill

Panhandle Bill Senior Member

The weather was great & the facility was good. As usual I didn't shoot as well as I wanted to but that was my fault. Someday I will learn that speed is not the answer. Slow down,shoot straight,slow down, shoot straight, etc, etc, etc.

I was a little disapointed with the lack of help, forcing the RO's to close down the stages for lunch. Don't blame them for eating, just think a little more help would have prevented that. Sunday there were only 1 or 2 RO's per stage. But this was a first time. I will be back next year and hope for better results.

As always it was great meeting with old friends and meeting new ones. That is what makes up for the few little bumps on other things.

My thanks to Tac Pro and GSSF for this match. See you next year.

8. Clem

Clem

Got back today from the Mingus match. What a great time we had! Got to visit with many of our old friends & make several new ones. Bill & Alice Davison has a first-class facility and we sure appreciate them hosting their first GSSF match. Hope they decide to do it again next year, because we'll definitely go if it's renewed. All of the ROs were experienced and knowledgeable about getting shooters through the courses quickly & safely. They were very fair & hard-working and we extend our thanks to them for spending their weekend letting us do what we do. We didn't shoot as well as we'd like to, but when do we? Saturday dinner was a blast, getting to visit with Mike & Ginger Wood as well as Bobby Carver, Steve Dixon [who we finally were able to meet (super guy & great teammate!)], Doug & Bill Woolsey, Clif, Teresa & TJ King, and of course Scott & Cindy from GSSF. Cindy, you did get the prelims up the day after the match like you said you would - WOW & THANKS!!! I apologize if I forgot to mention anyone, but we had a great, long weekend & it's late, & work awaits tomorrow . . . . It's weekends like these that make it all worthwhile. Hope to see everyone down the road soon. Til then, take care, travel & shoot safe & thanks for a great time!! Tony & Donna Clemens.

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Congratulations Team Carver. I sure hated to miss this match as Dan and I had planned and looked forward to see our Texas friends that we don't get to see often enough and enjoy a great match. Unfortunately I had to make a choice between pushing the contractor to try to get my house put back together a little faster of make the trip. It's still not done but maybe before the end of the month we will be off of bare concrete floors. Great shooting fellow team mates you did us proud. Sure hope this match stays on the schedule for next year as I sure will do my best to make it.

10. JDM2126

JDM2126

Great facility, good weather, located within easy drive of the Metroplex... a lot of folks missed out on a good match. I hope it doesn't hurt the chances of having it there again, around the same time of year.

11. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Don,
    Thanks for the kind words. You and Dan were missed. The range was a great setup. The RO's were very helpful and with Scott and Cindy's guidance, the match was a winner. We had a great time visiting with friends and making new ones.

We're looking forward to next year's match at Mingus.

"Has anyone heard who won the raffle?"

See you on the range?
    Bobby