close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

MIM BARRELS ? Come on ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by IN1988, Feb 13, 2010.

1. IN1988

IN1988

I noticed sprue marks on my S&W 638s barrel and thought this was an investment cast part. By accident I found out that it is a MIM part. Is this safe ? Look up PARMATECH on Youtube. They seem to supply parts for Smith and Wesson. Watch the video and you will see several parts - hammers,triggers,sears,rail blocks for the M&P pistols and a Stainless J-frame .38 special +P S&W barrel ! Anyone know how long this has been in use ? The hammer and small parts that are MIM dont bother me, but the barrel ? Come on?

2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

An MIM barrel? That's a new one here.

3. IN1988

IN1988

Yeah, Ignorance is bliss .

4. bharen

bharen

Well, Ruger has been investment casting barrel blanks for pistols for some time now (and revolver frames, and rifle receivers). Nobody ever called their products weak. And MIM is considered a more controlled process than investment casting.

Bottom line is this - if it is done right, if quality control is enforced, the final product can be just as good, and in some cases better, than a forged part. FN has been casting Hi-Power frames for years, after they figured out that the .40 S&W round was beating the old forged frames to death at a relatively low round count. FN followed Ruger's lead and began investment casting and tightly controlling the heat treating and now FNs frames are 'tough as woodpecker lips' as one old time Hi Power smith once told me. Same for CZ - the CZ-75 and variants have investment cast frames and are considered very tough pistols.

If plastic hadn't swept the market I'm certain we'd have seen more and more cast & MIM-based pistols. With proper QC the processes yield a better, tougher product at a lower cost.

BUT - it is ALL in the QC. Lousy QC = a lousy product, whether it's forged or cast or MIM.

5. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I thought we dealt with the MIM barrel joke last week.

Let's see some evidence in your third post.

6. IN1988

IN1988

Type in- Metal injection molding . on youtube. On the first page you will see( Parmatech corporation attends MD&M east 2009 booth 2060) its about the ninth one down on the page. view it , you will see the parts. They are a Metal injection molding company. View it, the PROOF is in the pudding.

7. IN1988

IN1988

TKM-You will see the barrel at 2:11 into the clip.

8. oldnoob

oldnoob

9. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

Get used to it!!!!:wavey:

Very soon, "Made in Mexico" will mean MADE IN U.S.A.......or what's left of it anyway!:steamed:

The sad part is that nobody cares and calls you a racist if you speak out about it. TOO MANY LIBERAL TARDS IN THIS COUNTRY....even here on Glock Talk:crying:

It's VERY SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TGG

10. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I apologize for the hasty reply.

You are right, that is a MIM barrel. I don't think it is a Smith and Wesson barrel though.

The entertainment last week was when some blowhard tried to tell the gun folks that Kimber used MIM barrels and everything went haywire immediately afterward.

I suspect that this is the gun that the barrel from the video goes to.

Again, my apologies.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/cobra-shadow-38-special/

11. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

That barrel in the vid is definitely a S&W barrel. You can make out the words "Smith & Wesson" and .38 S&W Special +P on the barrel. Just looked at my 438 Bodyguard, and it looks just like that. :faint:

12. rfd339

rfd339

Amen brother.

13. gconan

gconan

You mean China. Also this kind of talk sent Obama over the top. Back when Bush defeated the gorgon, it was the Spanish vote that sent him over the top, and the sunsetting of the godless assualt weapons ban. Quit rejecting voters.

14. Fungunner

Fungunner

I think it's ironic they're talking about using MIM in the medical field, while showing parts for guns. Or is S&W branching off?

On a board that glorifies a manufacturer who makes plastic guns, MIM does not offend me.

15. rustygun

rustygun

Maybe i'm ignorant of the process, and without doing any research on my own i might get blasted here. But how and what is involved in the MiM process? Do they do xray work and fluid penetrant inspection of the product during the process? If they do then that is similar to the process of a company i used to work for in a different field. At the time they where the largest supplier to GEpower systems in the world. Ge used parts mostly of a high nichel alloy for huge engines called IGT(internal gas turbine) used mostly in europe to make electricity. Think jet engine the size of your house on the ground. As long as the melted alloy was poured the right way and the crytalline structure set up right those parts....some of them almost 4 feet high....where good. Anybody know what the inspection and QC is like on these parts?

16. rustygun

rustygun

Ok I just went and hit wikia. The process is very different between what i was thinking of and what MiM is. I know ceramacists have got their processes down to an art form when it comes to a final cook of their parts. But part of the MiM process involves a sintering(heating) that removes the binders from the injected part and can result in a 15 to 20 percent drop in size of the part. So in the case of a barrel blank there is gonna be quite a bit of maching to make the bore and rifling and outter dimensions fall into size. The part that would worry me is then they describe on the process that MiM have imperfections internally or voids. The surface or outter skin of the part is supposed to be mostly smooth but when you start maching that part into size your gonna deal with small imperfections in the bore of a barrel for example. Kinda makes me worry about the expanding gases as the gun is fired and how the gas would react to those dimples inside the barrel.

17. 45caldan

45caldan

This thread is about Metal Injection Molding! :upeyes:

18. Chainlink

Chainlink

Racist :whistling:

19. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

OMG, the S&W lock key is MIM! No wonder they have so much trouble with them.

I think I saw AR15 bolts in the opening sequence as well as the S&W components.

I do find it hard to believe you can MIM a barrel. Makes you wonder about those barrel failure stories on the 64s.

20. rich636

rich636

Those dang liberals and their metal injecting mold process!! Argghhhhh...wait what are we talking about? Have you called S&W to see if it is MIM? Is it broken or just not overbuilt enough? It's supposed to be an airweight, not an SP101.