close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Milling Slides for Weight Reduction

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TedG954, Jan 5, 2010.

1. TedG954

TedG954

The G17L has the top of the slide cutout over the barrel. Has anyone seen this done on any other models, like a G17, G19, or even a G26?

2. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

The 34/17L's slide is milled out so that the recoiling mass roughly matches the GLock 17; the 26/19's slide/barrel weights are matched to their recoil springs for typical ammo. Not advisable to further lighten them.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Why do you think the G17L has this treatment?

And why would it not be applicable to the other models you listed?

Is "weight reduction" always a good thing? Does it always fit the application?

'Drew

4. TedG954

TedG954

My question was geared toward a lighter pistol for CCW. While understanding mass during recoil and return to battery... couldn't proper recoil springs address this issue?

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hi Ted,

My questions were geared towards getting you to think thru the process. :cool:
    I am guilty of that.

So...:supergrin: how does modifying the recoil springs impact the springs in the magazine, and perceived recoil?

Best regards,
    'Drew

6. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Drewish.....
    :supergrin:

7. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

:rofl:Drew...do you really think the Scoratic Method will work on GT.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

(sheepish grin). It really was a honest attempt to jump start some higher level thinking - or at least above and beyond the level demonstrated in the 1st opening post.

Mind you, I am not saying the OP asked a stupid question, or a naive question or anything like that. My observation was, with a little prodding, he (or she) would have been able to connect the dots and find the answers. In my very limited experience teaching, those discoveries unearthed by the person who asks the questions often serve as an impetus for acquiring additional knowledge.

Hey, Danny's gone. Butch is semi retired. The odds are significantly worse - unless Fire_Medic steps up to the plate! :supergrin:

'Drew
    :cool:

edit: what is the Socratic method? Is that a kind of retention holster or something?

9. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

With the way people have been acting lately I don't blame DannyR for his decision to leave, and more and more people might be fading into the shadows.......

Sometimes it's just not worth trying to help people when all you see in return is others trying to make an argument out of it.......

Anyhow, I don't know anywhere near as much as you do, so I don't see how much of an asset I'd be to anyone

:wavey:

10. 2nd2none

2nd2none

You should not mill off any material off of the slide, this can cause the pistol to not function properly. If you wanted to experiment on a target pistol then fine, but not to a CCW, that would not be wise. Milling would also cause an increase in slide velocity with lower mass which could and probably would cause malfunctions which would be very dangerous for a CCW firearm. Glock specifically made the slide with that much mass for a reason! When Glock originally made the GAP models they made them with the slides from the 9mm and 40 cal, they found that the pistol was not reliable and then they made the slide larger like that on the 45cal(G21). I would not mill it, did I already say it could be dangerous for a CCW pistol because you need it for defense.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  11. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

The Scoratic Method is a teaching or debating technique where only the people asking questions know (or think they know) the answers. It became quite popular during the Spanish Inquisition and is frequently still used during Congressional hearings.:whistling:

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Drew you're way too smart for me, and too late. I already milled the slide on my G17 and G22. I have slots on the sides and top, and milled some material off the rear top and left rear side.

13. saspic

saspic Howdy Y'all! CLM

Don't the "C" compensated models have a cutout? Even the compact GLOCK C models, which are smaller than the fullsize, have cutouts. Okay, they are small cutouts, but it can be done.
    Of course, they also slow down the velocity of the bullet by a small amount.

14. 2nd2none

2nd2none

I'm no expert in this field so I probably should keep my mouth shut... but I won't. The "C" models do have a space milled out because the barrel is compensated, I am certain the model functions reliably because it is compensated which reduces the recoil of the pistol, which in turn also has a similar slide speed as the non "C" model. (This is just my educated guess) Maybe someone smart can confirm or deny this. I am sure it can be done to where the pistol will still function, ede has done it to his pistols. I would only trust it on a target pistol though. I would not trust it with my life. Besides I really can't see it making the pistol "that" much lighter. Lighter yes but not enough to warrant doing it and taking a chance with your life.(IMHO)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  15. bootsx

bootsx

Glock 17,17L,18,22,24,31,34,35 all use the same recoil spring. The force of recoil is regulated by the weight of the slide. That is a good reason NOT to alter the weight of the slide by milling.

16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

...and the 18 is milled out and not just ports for the 18C version.

17. AustinTx

AustinTx

I would like to know why you milled the slides on your 17 and 22, if you don't mind. Also, what was the end result?

18. TeddyB

TeddyB

My POV is that an alteration in weight and mass would upset the dynamics of the pistol performance. My advice is get a smaller pistol!

19. saspic

saspic Howdy Y'all! CLM

This was my thought, too, but remember, some people use the ported barrel for competition, then swap out for a non ported barrel for carry. They still have the slide cut-outs, but no "compensation".

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Ede is funny like that, for a young kid. :supergrin: