Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
US Army Retired
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my G30. Only improvement I can think of is a front rail. Guess I could sell it for 1/2 and buy a new one. However, there's another possibility:

Looking at the front frame profiles of the rail and non rail GLOCKs, they appear to be the same.

So, why not set up a milling machine and cut rail grooves? I know it would void the warranty. Are there any other problems. Has anybody done this?

·
↓ hog hunter ↓
9,399 Posts
I think your dust cover would fall off due to gravity. Not really required to function, but it is the part of the frame the serial number is attached.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
The plastic of the dust cover may not be thick enough to do so and remain sturdy enough to hold a light or laser. I think they actually added more plastic in the version with the rail to hold up to mounting things on it.

·
NRA Member
2,412 Posts
The plastic of the dust cover may not be thick enough to do so and remain sturdy enough to hold a light or laser. I think they actually added more plastic in the version with the rail to hold up to mounting things on it.
I wonder if that's where the famed "Pig-nose" comes from - the added thickness to support the weight of a rail-mounted object.

·
NRA MEMBER
8,151 Posts
Just buy an add on rail from Brownels and you're good to go..You will be buying a new holster..

·
US Army Retired
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, seems that's a non starter, and I'll have to go to my backup plan: Rivet on a Picatinny Rail!

<G>

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
You could build up the dust cover with a black epoxy resin and then cut the rails in. I've seen this done to a second generation G17L.

You could also send your G30 back to Glock and get a new frame. I believe they charge $150 for this.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sell it outright or trade it at OMB guns or Cabela's or anyplace, and you'll get more than half for it, without destroying a good gun. I personally shopped around until I found one without a rail, so there are folks out there that want them.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Tagged... very innovative! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts