Millennials - What's the Matter?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JMag, Jan 14, 2017.

1. JMag

JMag

One guy's take that is just about right, IMO.

Worth a view, and maybe your comment.

Sent from my virtual ball & chain.

Boot Stomper, bgreed and crockett like this.
  2. DonD

DonD

I watched this before your post. Excellent. Don

3. oneofthose

oneofthose

The military is struggling with this generation too.

A generation of Soldiers who grew up playing soccer without keeping score and trophy's for everyone. Their homework wasn't graded with red ink, because it might hurt their feelings. Poor behavior became something you medicate rather than punish. Nearly all consequences for poor performance or bad behavior have been eliminated for todays youth.

Now, every Soldier in the Army gets 40 HOURS A YEAR of RESILIENCY TRAINING because they can't seem to cope with the stress of being yelled at for doing something dumb. And they're confused they don't get a trophy when they fail a PT test, or barely qualify with their assigned weapon.

There are exceptions, but the norm has definitely shifted.

Kevinr20 likes this.
  4. KCHonie

KCHonie

Hey you kids get off my lawn!!!

[​IMG]

5. oneofthose

oneofthose

Another example just occurred to me: video games. They've evolved to cater to todays entitled youth.

There is no "game over" anymore. Your character never "really" dies you just keep coming back right where you left off.........

Remember when your character actually "died" and you had to START OVER!!

crockett and cowboywannabe like this.
  6. plp

plp

There have been people throughout history that had to adapt to new stimuli and rules, and some will survive, some won't. Nothing new.

The problem as I see it are the sheer numbers by percentage of all recruits as compared to previous years.

In the 19th century it was seen more at military academies where officers were being trained and commissioned. It was more likely that protected mentality would be found in a nobleman's son, some adjusted and went on to become great officers, some washed out in the first few days.

The process was intentionally harsh with little or no positive feedback for the first few weeks, to do as basic training has always done, teach basic survival skills and chain of command.

7. kiole

kiole

Wait till they decide to cut off you old people's welfare [​IMG]

8. JMag

JMag

Wait until there is nothing left due to no one working any longer...

Steel Head and crockett like this.
  9. kiole

kiole

It's going to be hard to justify working when the government wants 40% of your income to pay down 20 trillion in debt the silent generation and baby boomers ran up. Most of which was spent bailing out their terrible decisions, corporate bailouts and sending the Millennials off to fight a war under false pretenses.

HalfHazzard likes this.
  10. crockett

crockett

They won't pay it down. That train left the station a long time ago. With the next large recession we will face a dramatic inflation and a devastating hit in the economy with all its nasty side effects. But the lack of a good and current workforce will speed things up.

I know a thing about this tragic development. I have hired young and old people. With some exceptions, the work ethic from the younger generation is a nightmare.

First shot likes this.
  11. JMag

JMag

It's never hard to justify working for a living. It's very hard to justify the current administration's historic contribution to the national debt, however.

That isn't to excuse problems other administrations have created, or exacerbated, but Obama's is truly historic.

aircarver, Caver 60 and Glock1963 like this.
  12. Irideapalehorse

Irideapalehorse

It's our responsibility to teach and mentor these kids. If you find one that will listen you need to help them. I deal with this everyday on my job. I have to explain and direct a lot more on the job. I'm only supposed to be a an upper tier technician regarding certain issues. Instead I get calls for stuff that is in no way in our workload. But I have to tell people where to go and what to do. I'm not their boss but the bosses don't know anything so it falls on us. The company got rid of the knowledgeable management awhile ago. These kids are part of the future we need to help them out and give them guidance. It will pay off I hope. Now if they don't want to listen then nothing you can do.

JMag likes this.
  13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I have been fortunate to cultivate some good employees from among the wasteland.

I've given quite a bit of personal time, energy, and resources. Nice to see some break out from the stereotype. Several have left the nest for advancement opportunities elsewhere, and still keep in contact several times a year.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

14. HammerG19

HammerG19 A short American.

Have a son in the Army now and it's definitely not the same Army I was in.

TBO likes this.
  15. Glock1963

Glock1963

Yet, inexcusably, it is seldom discussed and Obama is absolutely lauded by a largely clueless, naïve populace for reasons I'd never understand if I lived to be 1,000

JMag likes this.
  16. Tackle

Tackle

Millennial here. I can't waste 15 minutes of my precious time. Just tell me what the point they're making is?

And then send me $5, I deserve it.

:bunny:

HalfHazzard likes this.
  17. norton

norton

Wait until old people decide to stop financially supporting your ridiculously low interest rates on cars and homes.

aircarver likes this.
  18. kiole

kiole

Stop the low interest rates and the baby boomers retirement accounts will crash along with the economy. They aren't artificially holding interest rates low for the Millennials. It's simply to hide the damage they've done to the economy. Without artificially low rates the stock market would be in the dumpster. Let it all come crashing down, the Millennials have time to recover the baby boomers not so much.

Raise interest rates and a 1.3 trillion dollar bubble will burst. The student loan market already has an 11% default rate. It's slowly stabilizing but is ready to collapse at any moment. Unlike the housing market there is zero collateral so it'll be 100% loss and the FEDs guarantee a trillion dollars of that market.

The problem is when people break everyone into groups and put them against each other. We are all in this together. Every time you degrade and burden one group there are consequences. We should all be working together.

The Millennials should be working towards solutions to ensure the baby boomers and silent generation can retire with dignity. The Baby Boomers should stop spending and start creating a surplus as not to burden the Millennials and their children. Everyone has a part to play and when each side sees the other as the problem nothing changes. Each group is capable of making things very difficult for each other. Together we could create sensible solutions and prosper together. Instead we will continue to blame everyone else for our problems and not take responsibility for our own role in the disaster.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  19. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

The reality is that it HAS TO HAPPEN.

This ponzi-scheme goverment budgeting can't continue forever.

20. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

Excellent video. As a millennial it was pretty eye opening and I realized that I am guilty of doing several of the things he mentions in the video.