Military Wedding

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cmb19, Jan 8, 2010.

1. cmb19

cmb19

October 2, 2010 I will be getting married to a LT in the PA National Guard. I know alot of you have seen or had military weddings and I need some ideas. I hate planning things...I'm either too picky or don't care enough about certain things. So far I've got pretty much nothing figured out, the date could even change depending on different circumstances. Now that I think about it, we could even end up with just a regular wedding and no military involved at all if he decides that's what he wants to do.

Tell me about some of the things you folks had at your military weddings..or any wedding in general if you have some unique ideas. I like being different but can't afford much, so there's nothing really memorable that I've come up with.

We are hoping to use the new armory for the reception, but that's touchy right now...we don't even have a church figured out yet. :upeyes:

Give me some ideas or lets see some pictures..I'm getting really desperate for help right now and he's not really into the planning...ok he has a few ideas but they're just not gonna fly. And definitely expect me to ask some other wedding related questions in the next few months. :supergrin:

2. deadday

deadday

Your garter should match his branch color (red- arty, yellow-Cav, blue- inf., etc.)

Large quantities of alcoholic beverages for the reception....some quick Army beer math....40 guys, 4 beers per guy, so you need 20 cases :rofl:

3. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

You should ditch the officer and find an NCO.

J/k :rofl:

<---- NCO, but not married. I have no real advice, just figured I'd take the chance to s*** talk an officer without any repercussions. :supergrin:
    Congrats on getting married.

4. 2952

The Groom will be in Class A Dress uniform as will any other Military, if any, in Wedding Party. You will leave the Ceremony and pass under the Crossed Swords.

Other than that a Wedding is a Wedding and a Reception is a Reception. The Groom's Unit may have some traditions. Ask Him. Good luck.

5. cmb19

cmb19

I've already planned on my garter being blue because he's infantry and cause I can easily get rid of the "something blue" requirement. As for the alcohol...there will be several kegs along with quite a few bottles of liquor...we're rednecks what can I say, we love our beer and whiskey.

He was an NCO when I met him and went through ROTC in college although I think he's wishing he stayed outta the officer thing...he doesn't fit in and I don't fit with the officer's wives, I can guarantee I won't be well liked. :supergrin: He'll s*** talk the officers (ok maybe not all of them) right along with you I'd be willing to bet. :whistling: And thanks for the congrats

6. Jwinter

Jwinter

7. PSG

PSG

While at dinner this evening the wife and I were looking back at our wedding.

My wife and I were married in the 3rd Bde Chappel Fort Leonardwood MO. July of 2000

The same chappel I would march the soldiers to every sunday.

Drill Sgts for ushers and IET soldiers for clean up.

Use a Chaplain and make the groom ware Dress Blues with full size medals.:wow:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. chuckman

chuckman

Congratulations on the impending nuptuals. You should find the Army's etiquette manual, that will have some ideas. I'm Navy and our book has chapters devoted to this stuff.

9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

That's outstanding. Those are the kind of officers we need. Your soon to be husband is the kind of officer that looks out for his soldiers and usually goes down in history as a truely good leader.

10. cmb19

cmb19

I need to get him to admit to me if he wants a hardcore military theme...he thinks I won't like what he has to say, so I'm not sure if he just wants the guys to wear the blues, have the saber canopy, and cut the cake with a saber or if he wants to go through a whole lot more stuff that I know nothing about.

As of right now, I think he's willing to have a fun, simple reception with alot of stuff that's "us" and leave the rest at the altar...er uh the door just past the saber canopy. :supergrin: I however, don't want to have a tacky reception, I want it to be fun and interesting, but I want it to continue to have the class that a military wedding SHOULD have.

8-Ball, he's definitely a guy that the rest of the soldiers are happy to have around, with exceptions being the guys no one else tolerates anyway. He knows what he's doing for sure, he would have had his 2nd deployment this past year, but he was a cadet at that time and they wouldn't let him go no matter how many times he volunteered.

11. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Don't dick around with swords. They're a pain.

Do contact the unit Chaplain.

I recommend Blues, not Greens. (Although if he's really new that is the new Class A.)

Good luck!

12. cmb19

cmb19

He wants the sabers so he can include some of the guys that are important to him, but can't actually be the wedding party, so I won't take that away from him..although I'm sure he's gonna have a headache dealing with that part.

It will definitely be the blues...and one guy is in the Air Force so whatever they're equivalent of the blues are, plus 2 tuxes. I'm not worried about it looking mismatched, however, my OCD may kick in on my way down the aisle.

I don't know if he'll get ahold of the unit chaplain or not because he happens to be in Harrisburg, a good 6 hours away.

13. nursetim

nursetim

There fixed it for you. you are welcome. :supergrin:

Wait one minute, if it's Airborne it's 40, dope on a rope 30, and leg 20, so you may very well be right, she didn't say.

BTW, congratulations on the upcoming wedding. :thumbsup:

14. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

My wife and I didn't have much money so we took the little money we had saved, got married in a small town courthouse by the justice of the peace and went to Cozumel for our honeymoon. At the time (1994) two people could fly from Houston and stay for eight days in a nice hotel for about $2000.

15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

From someone who's been a best man at a military wedding, and worn a sword, couple of pointers.

Firstly, if he's including ossifers AND NCO's for the Saber Arch, he needs an equal number, because NCO's and Ossifers have different swords, and it looks wrong if you don't.

Secondly, If there's a saber arch, expect to get hit on the *** with a saber/Sword. Not to be rude, but its part of the "Army Tradition" but I've seen it startle someone who wasn't expecting it. Also, if he's having trouble deciding between best men, or wants to honor someone, the last soldier on the brides side in the arch has the duty of welcoming the bride to the Army. This is a great honor, and responsibility.

Thirdly, I'm not sure of your budget, but if the husband is still looking for gifts for the wedding party and wants to stick with the military theme, at the one I attended, he gifted the men with our own Saber/Sword depending on rank/position.

If there's anything you'd like to know about it, pm me, I'll do my best to help answer or point you in the right direction

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

HELL YES Sabre arch. Blues too. If he's a butter bar he might not have picked up the full sized medal set yet so go with what he's got, there are more important things to spend money on. As an RLO he's got to own Blues, though.

Trying to think of the ones I've been to. The only differences I really noticed were the sabre arch and occasionally a horse drawn carriage to get taken away in. Other than that they were not much different than civilian weddings I've seen.

17. nothing

nothing Advertisement

Definitely go with the Blues. Don't worry about not fitting in with Army Officer Wives. My wife isn't the most social person in the world and neither of us can tolerate the crazy overly proud military wife types to begin with, nor can she stand the gossip circles during deployments. You'll never see her at a family readiness group and we're always the first to leave any formal gatherings. Eventually he'll make a few friends on the officer side and you'll probably discover a couple of wives that are realitively sane.

Congratulations on the wedding!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  18. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

The wedding singer has to sing "Sammy Small".

19. cmb19

cmb19

There will be the saber arch...officers and NCOs I think, unless he changes his mind. And yep, I know all about being wacked with a saber...I don't care which guy it is, I'm going to prepare myself to lose a leg or at least get a bruise from any of them. :supergrin:

20. jilverthor

jilverthor

Congrats,

I think the big thing would be to decide would be if the two fo you want the reception to be a dining out. I know of some people who have decided on this for a retirement ceremony, but haven't heard of any for a wedding reception though it would be possible. As for the Air Force members, they would likely wear mess dress since that is the next step up from service dress. Good luck with the planning.