close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Military wars...thing of the past?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Apr 5, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Seems like wars now a days consist of one military against groups rather than another military. I'm sure there are more but the only one I can remember recently are the Russians and the Georgians (at least I think it was the Georgians). Otherwise its some country's military against rebels/insurgents/terrorists/etc...what ever happened to countries squaring off against each other??

So why all the conspiracy about what government is funding/supplying what group....why don't they just send their troops to do the fighting?

-Emt1581

2. mymini40

mymini40

Youre right but then again it would be easier.

3. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

They are fighting proxy wars, they can give groups supplies and funds secretly and have those groups do their bidding. Think cold war but replace smaller soviet linked countries with terrorist orginizations in different regions.

4. Cooper

Cooper

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato

For the current timeframe, it is profitable and expedient for "police actions" and proxy wars to be waged, rather than full-on conflict. In general, despite the reliance of these strategies on Machiavellan duplicity, they are a good way of maintaining stability. An actual ground war with a major power would be a shock most Americans aren't able to face.

Keep in mind that the US casualties sustained during the entire Iraq conflict are equal to the casualties sustained by the Germans and Soviets the battle of Stalingrad EVERY SIX HOURS. On D-Day we sustained three times the amount of Iraq's casualties . . . in a single day.

5. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

Once we spend all our time getting trained and equipped up for asymmetrical warfare scenario the Muzzies are dealing us, the Red Chinese will get after us and wipe us out with 30 year old technology, but a ****-ton of it. We always prepare for the last war we fought, not the next we never seem to see coming.

6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

NATO seems to have a propensity for bombing totally outgunned "armies".

Then there were those two Iraq wars where the US military destroyed Iraq's army twice, each time in very short order.

I'm sure there will be plenty of future wars where overwhelming armies flatten backwards outgunned armed forces. But as far as large land engagements involving relatively equal armies I agree that won't happen again anytime soon.

7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

A thing of the past?

Fat chance.

8. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Nuclear weapons have finally achieved what Nobel was hoping dynamite would do, make war so terrible no one would want to fight it.

Only now there's this trickle-down effect.

9. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

We have not seen the end of nation states warring. Radical Islam is poised to take over the entire Middle East. Last time that happened it wasn't good for Europe. War is always a good way to stimulate the economy and take people's minds off of trouble at home. The EU is in the process of disintegrating. There may be some European leaders who will need to try and take peoples minds off of their incompetence. Nah, we haven't seen the last of army against army war. We're just taking a break.

10. 427

War is big money. We need to have a perpetual war. It doesn't matter who we fight; drugs, poverty, terrorists ect. How many wars do we have going on now?

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
    George Orwell

11. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

This could be a very interesting & intellectual thread. I ask the following only out of curiosity... not to try to get into a trolling or pissing contest. Here it goes... how many of the folks posting and quoting philosophical cliches here have either political experience or have experienced combat or war?

12. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

This....

I fear that when it really comes around again on a global scale.... well... WOW!

13. HiddenEyes

HiddenEyes It can be done

Amen.

The idea that we won't see war again is a deluded dream.

I predict that the future will have some very ugly wars in it, the likes of which we have not seen, wars that make WWII look tame.

Mr. HE:cool:

14. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

The US is now afraid to win a war. The politicians think it "complicates" things.

15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

In less than ten years, China and India will have more cars than the rest of the planet combined. That gas is going to have to come from somewhere and it's where we get our's from now. If India joins China against the rest of the world, spend your retirement now. HH

16. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Let me phrase my point another way.

How many nuclear-armed nations have we attacked?

17. frank4570

frank4570

Americans are pretty comfortable. They Do Not want to go to war to acquire resources from other countries, for a lot of reasons.
    So the politicians spin it differently to make the small wars more appetizing to the American people. Like when the CIA shot up a plane, flew it near cuba, then said Cuba had fired on it.
    Smaller wars about strategy, position, influence.

18. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I think there is a coming problem with technology. It is getting easier to take the person out of many combat situations, and kill remotely. This now makes it a (relatively) bloodless operation for the technology side and therefore, easier to jump into a limited conflict without having the American public holler about casualties.

This will be good for us, but bad for the side that takes the punishment. I worry that it might make limited conflicts easier to generate.

19. frank4570

frank4570

I'm sure you're right. Americans don't get so worked up about us shooting missiles or dropping bombs. But getting our troops killed causes quite a stir.

20. RayB

RayB Retired Member

In the Obama World Government the rampant taxation imposed on everybody will simply make war unaffordable! :shocked:

Peace is assured in The New Order... :thumbsup:

--Ray

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012