Military Surplus M9s?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Ryuzenski, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Ryuzenski

Ryuzenski

Will there be a flood of surplus M9s to the US civilian market, or will they sell them to another country, or will they be melted down?

This question has been bugging me since they announced the M9 was being replaced.

What typically happens to old guns when replaced with newer ones?

Also, new user here, this is my first post. Thanks

2. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

I don't know how they will be released or when or to whom but I'm pretty sure whatever hits the civie market will be worn slap out pieces of crap..the changeover is going to take years and they are not just going to drop all use of the berrettas they will get rid of the worst guns first..im sure the army armour's will disassemble all the pistols to canabilize the good parts and will throw away all the worn out grips,cracked barrels etc etc.. Even if they have some brand new guns sitting right now in storage sig has 10 years to fufill their contract so these will eventually be cracked open and see a few years of HARD use .

michael_b likes this.

3. willieH

willieH

The M9's will be stored alongside the 1911's that were supposed to be released to the public. I agree with lunarspeak, a vast majority of those pistols will reveal the hard worn evidence for the Army's replacement decision.

4. banger

banger

Consider.... The 1911 was declared obsolete and officially replaced by the M-9 in 1983....

Exactly how many surplus 1911 have you seen on the market from this batch?

It is only in the last year or so that they have even begun to talk about selling a FEW.

Since the 1960's the Government has destroyed MILLIONS of M-1 rifles and Carbines, look at how only a handful ever made it into the CMP.

How about the fact that Anniston runs virtually every day feeding M-16 rifles into "Captain Crunch"...

They refuse to even strip off "non controversial" parts such as stocks or dust covers.

In short... I really don't see the M-9's ever being released to the market.

A final thought.... when was the last time the FBI or Border Patrol or any other agency has released obsolete handguns for sale?

5. jimbo123

jimbo123

Maybe that will change with Trump as POTUS, I sure would like a old 1911

silentpoet, lazarus66 and michael_b like this.
  6. A6Gator

A6Gator

I haven't seen military surplus stuff being released since the CMP program started. Don't want to date myself, but when I was a kid, I remember some military surplus stuff being released, but I was too young to buy any of that. While I see some police stuff being sold by CDNN and AIM Surplus, for example, I don't recall federal agencies releasing stuff. Too many hoplophobes?

I, personally, am not a big fan of the M9, but it might be an affordable, reliable alternative to the Hi-Point or other lesser expensive guns for folks of modest means if the gov't did release them.

7. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

You are not that old. The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_Marksmanship_Program

They were selling 1911s in the early 1960s.

8. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

Even if worn out, I would buy a m9 or 1911 if the price was right. Too much American history to pass up.

michael_b likes this.
  9. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

From various forums I heard the 1911 will be about $700 and will be released in 2017 and over the next few years.

The M9s I am guessing we will not see them for another 20 years. But I would like a M9.

10. Slackinoff

Slackinoff Bathed in lavender and gasoline

As much as I would love to have one and think about all the interesting people and places it has been with....$700 is too much for me. I would be a buyer at $400. I am not the collector type.

CBennett likes this.
  11. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Well, we may have adopted the M-9 in 1983, but when we deployed for Desert Shield/Storm in 1990-1991 a significant number of 1911A1s and S&W Model 10 & 15s were still issued to deploying troops (Me included). Took my AF unit until 1996 to finally get rid of the last of the S&W Model 15s for M-9s and the Viet Nam era M-16s (not even A1s) for brand new FN M-16A2s. Other than for potential collector value would probably be cheaper (and quicker) to just buy a commercial Beretta M-92.

wnr700, RichardB and Glock Commander like this.
  12. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Like the flood of 1911's?

Each one should be refurbished and placed in a nice box.

As every career military man or woman retires they should be given one as recognition of their service.

wnr700, CBennett and michael_b like this.
  13. MajorD

MajorD

As the berettas are still considered a modern pistol, what generally happens is this( speaking from being in service over 20 years and during the beretta transition)
    Very slowly the new pistols are sent to units in order of mission priority and ( not sure they still use this system) a fad rating ( level of readiness) units like rangers 82nd and 10th mountain will get them first and it could be as long as 10 years before the full conversion from the beretta. My guard unit took from the 1986 adoption of the beretta until 1996 to get beretta. The pistols are sent to an Arsenal inspected rebuilt and put in storage.
    Some may be released to police agencies ( loaned with the expectation to be returned if. Requested)
    Some may be issued out to allied nations in need ( notice how many Iraqi troops are now carrying m16 series rifles )
    Those still in inventory will sit in storage until they are declared obsolete and scrapped. We can hope that a better political climate allows release through a program like CMP, but that is a long shot.

SJ 40 likes this.
  14. CBennett

CBennett

Since thats a cool idea it would never happen lol.

15. cbetts1

cbetts1

I saw 1911's in my Reserve Unit until it disbanded in mid 90's. Never received the M9. I used to see M-16 A1's in basic and training environments into the mid 90's. That is both 10yrs after the replacement weapon came into service. I would have loved to purchase early CMP rifles when they were inexpensive and plentiful.

16. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

And then sold for $1500...

17. Rocknropes

Rocknropes

They will be sold to foreign militaries. End of story.

18. MajorD

MajorD

or more likely given away free as foreign military aid to some erstwhile ally who 20 years from now will be a primary adversary- like the Springfields given to China and used against us in Korea or the weapons provided to panama or Iraq used against us more recently.

Glock Commander and SJ 40 like this.