close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Military GSSF shooters?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jay.shebuski, Jul 8, 2002.

1. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

..Are there any active component military GSSF shooters out there?

Jay

2. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Since I am not active component military & not sure what that means I am going to reply in ignorance. I have a friend named Dave Kinzie that shoots GSSF every chance he gets. I have shot with him twice here in Texas. He is up in Leavenworth Kansas training some guys on some kind of tank stuff. I believe he is a captain. Unfortunately he does not have time to surf the glock talk sight, at least not right now. Is that any help? He is shooting a 34 in competition catagory & doing a very good job for a near beginner. If you are military, can I say thank you for what you do? Many of us appreciate it a lot. MLM ;a

3. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

Mark,

..thanks for the reply. I will relay your appreciation to some soldiers who are working some tough hours...and really need the back slapping.

Jay

4. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

Mark,

.."active component" is reference to a someone in the military that does this kind of work "full time".

Yes, I'm in the military, and I've been shooting for a number of years. I've done the "national match" shooting, some years back, but have become involved in "action, tactical, defensive, practical..what ever you want to call it" shooting. It is where the Army needs to go.

Some years back, the Army, and the other services as well, forgot about closing with the enemy. We used technology to create "stand-off" weapons, that we could use out of the enemy's range and have dramatic effects. This worked great in Iraq, I was there; and we must retain that capability, but....

the bad guys got smart, like they always do, and figured out that when you get close, say w/in 25 meters, our technology has no advantage..very similar to our military's experiences someplace in SE Asia...but it is not the jungle now, but the cities.

Shot placement, engagement speed, engaging multiple threats, shooting on the move..are all critical skills in what is now called Close Quarters Combat (CQC) or Close Quarters Battle (CQB)..for you Navy/Marine Corp folks. This is the 25 meter battlefield.

For the most part, the Army is still shooting out of foxhole. Some units in the Army, have been doing this stuff for a couple years. But, put them through a GSSF or IDPA match and see how they fair? I think they would be embarrased. The Army needs to get better.

Ernest Langdon, CPT US Marine Corp, now shooting for himself in IDPA, has been the exception.

Jay

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

I am an AF shooter that tries to get in a GSSF match or two a year shooting Stockmeister and Unlimited. I would have made this years Greely match but I just returned from yet another 90 day deployment. My body still thinks its in the middle east.

Its too bad you feel the Guard and Reserve component GSSF shooters dont count. I cant tell you how many part timers I ran into that had been deployed longer than I had since last Sept.

Tom
    SC, Eastern Colorado USPSA

6. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Jay, I've seen your name on some sign up sheets, there is a match in Spartanburg, this Sat(31). and I believe you shoot IDPA matches in Columbia! I 'd like to talk to ya about some of your expierence with the CQC!

7. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Jay,
    As a matter of fact, all of you military folks, if you are ever in Tx. we have some little ipsc matches & you guys are definitely invited to come shoot. We are proud of our folks that serve & care very much about you. We do some "thinking" matches. Not "realistic" scenarios but matches where you don't just shoot everything in sight, you have to pay attention & that is what I think might save people's lives. When you get tunnel vision, you can get hurt. It is at least another facet of the shooting game.
    All of you military folks be careful & thank you. We have your backs, ok? We support you all. God Bless you & God Bless the USA MLM

8. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

...yes, it's great to be back in the SE again and shooting IDPA. I've had my butt kicked several times at local matches since I've gotten here.

What time does the Spartanburg 31 August match start up? I've talked to several people who have already recommended that club's matches. I'll start the search for directions on the IDPA & USPSA sites after this.

I'm still trying to put a team togther for the Statesville GSSF match. Thought I had some soldiers interested, that are in my current unit; they bawked. So, I'm off to talk to the MPs/CID this week; maybe get something in the post newspaper.

Wow, did my friend Chris LeFort kick butt in the Shelton, WA GSSF, competition class, or what?
    ..don't know if I'll be able to beat that time.

Jay

9. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Jay,
    Spartanburg holds a single stack match(5 pistol stages, 1 shotgun stage) on months w/ a 5 th saturday, just come with your regular IDPA set up and a shotgun w/ a box of shells , you can borrow my shotgun if you need to!Start time is 10:30 am sat the 31st.E-mail me if you don't find directions.

10. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

..that was a fun match! It's been a while since I've had to hose the red clay off my shoes. Felt good. My new hip worked pretty good also.

I don't know if I'll make the match tomorrow AM. I'd love to be there, but my wife gets 50% of the vote, and the kids are the tie breaker. Doesn't look good.

..maybe, if I wake up early and have some Krispy Kremes on the table when they wake up....hhmmmmmm...and I come home w/gifts of some kind and then rush out to edge the front yard....maybe..

11. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Jay,
    Glad you had a good time, I did not know you had a new hip installed, you were moving pretty good!I'll probably make Columbia, unless it is still raining like today!If I do not see ya there, see ya in Statesville!

12. BrianMcFarland

BrianMcFarland

I'm a Navy SpecWar guy that likes to shoot as often as possible. We have some great shooters, but as a whole, the Navy is horribly behind in thier training. But then again, for the regular fleet guy, is it necessary?

13. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

..That's encouraging. Have you shot a GSSF match ever? How did you do?

I was looking forward to shoooting as I'm now back on the east coast. Weren't alot of shooters from Ft Lewis, WA. Never bumped into ANY navy shootes out there, "fleet" or SPECWAR.

As GSSF and IDPA do not have "military" sub-categories, it's tough to see where we fall in sometimes. Looking at the IPSC score sheets, military shooters are nill to none.

Would like to see a whole lot more infantry types w/the ability to put mutiple holes in "the upper scoring panel".

Jay

14. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

At a local 3-gun match today one third of us were military, one third was LE, and the remaining third came from all walks of life.

Normal IPSC and IDPA matches around here there is maybe only four to five military shooters. Most, if not all are AF.

I know a Navy Loadmaster who is one of only a handful female Master Class IPSC Shooters. Great person. Too bad the Navy doesn’t field a Team.

15. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

....so, where do you shoot? With that many military 3-gunners, I'd like to give it a try.

....Jay

16. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Out here in Colorado. I am stationed at Peterson AFB and am a coach/armorer for the Air Force Academy Combat Arms Team and am on the Air Force Shooting Team.

Come on out. There is an IPSC match or two every weekend, two 3-gun matches a month, and a steel match or two. Numerous action pistol, pin and Bianchi indoor matches in Denver. My club hosts three matches a month, three gun, IPSC and IDPA.

Hope to see you soon. Your first match at Pueblo is always free.

Tom
    http://www.limitedgun.com

17. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

...can't make it. I'm way over here in South Carolina.

From what I understand, you AF guys run your marksmanship training a little different, w/marksmanship trainers (CATD) doing the instructing as a "full time" job.
    ..where as in the Army, being an NCO/sergeant, your just supposed to know by reading the manual..and then train your soldiers.

..I think your method makes better sense.

Are you Glock shooters?

Jay

18. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

The firearms trainers in the AF is a full time job. I think it has more good things about it than bad.

I do like the fact that every Army NCO is a potential weapons trainer, so you better know your stuff.

I shoot a Glock a lot, but in competitions its mostly 1911's (STI) and revolvers. I tried to make GM in USPSA Production Division (FY36139) with a Glock 34 and a Steyr M-9 in , but just missed...