Military/government passenger jets.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Maggy, Feb 10, 2013.

1. The Maggy

The Maggy

About every week I see a Cessna Citation/ Leerjet style airplane. It is always flying around 500-1000ft and following the highways through my town.

They are the flat dark grey similar to the paint on a CH-53. A high horizontal stabilizer on the tail. 4 or 5 windows along the fuselage. Small upturned winglets. No other markings besides a black tail number.

Do any of you aviation buffs know what plane this might be or who might be operating it? It looks similar to a leerjet 35 but without the wingtip fuel tanks.

I'm trying not to be too tin foilish; it has just peaked my curiosity after seeing them for so long.

2. IQof1

IQof1

3. IQof1

IQof1

that guy? Cessna Citation II.

They are more than likely following the roads as landmarks for guidance into the airfield and also as a known route for traffic avoidance.

If these particular aircraft are being used for airways trainers or cross-country transport, the FBO (civilian aircraft gas station) may be a good logistical stop or, may have a good place to eat (not kidding). Word gets around the aviation community in the different military branches and you will see a lot of military traffic come thru.

It used to be that a lot of FBO's would provide free lunch to military aviator but, someone cried and that got shut down. IMHO, if the Govt is dropping a few thousand bucks on fuel, and the FBO is willingly offering free lunch of their own accord, why not take it?

Military is bound by ethics rules (unlike kongress) to not be allowed to accept any gifts valued over $20. I think a club sandwich fits into this category. Especially when the choice is a boxed lunch, MRE or starvation.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
  5. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does it look like this, but with the AF paint? Then, it's a T-39 Saberliner. I've got about 100 hours in them. Mine had an F-16 radar in the nose and was used by both air-to-air fighter guys and air-to-mud A-6 guys. We also took some epic cross country trips in them.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=1100&tid=1900&ct=1

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. IQof1

IQof1

7. IQof1

IQof1

and they are INCREDIBLY LOUD!!! i have always been amazed they dont roll over turning during ground taxing as the mains are so close together.

8. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Pure turbojet, baby! None of those sissy high-bypass fans for us. :cool:

9. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Being that you are in OK, most likely a T-1 Jayhawk out of Vance AFB near Enid. The T-1 is a military version of the Beechcraft 400 and is used to train pilots for tanker and transport aircrat as well as some of the training for Combat Systems Officers (used to be called navigators/WSOs/EWOs).

If things have not changed TOO much, all pilots start in the turboprop T-6 and those destined for fighters and bombers then move to the supersonic T-38 (getting old now, but still a sweet machine) and those going to airlift, tankers, etc go to the T-1.

T-1s are currently at Vance near Enid, Columbus AFB, MS, Laughlin AFB near Del Rio, TX, Randolph AFB NE of San Antonio, TX, and NAS Pensacola in FL.

10. IQof1

IQof1

saberjet, the original lawn dart......

11. The Maggy

The Maggy

[​IMG]

And we have a winner.

I forget about Vance. When I think about the Air Force in Oklahoma, I tend to just think of Tinker. The roads followed link to Enid almost directly.

Thanks for the help Odin.

12. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Got an airport nearby. That altitude would be typical for traffic patterns. Or in bad weather IFR (I follow Roads). They never put those tall antennas directly over highways.

13. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired